Why I am am athiest

Cypress

He's very passionate about his atheism, and his main arguments are: there is no evidence God exists, the Bible is error-filled 2,000 year old scribblings of desert primitives, the stories in the Bible sound like they were written by stoners, and if you try to force Christian morals on him he will fuck you up.

He's very passionate about his atheism, and his main arguments are: there is no evidence God exists, the Bible is error-filled 2,000 year old scribblings of desert primitives, the stories in the Bible sound like they were written by stoners, and if you try to force Christian morals on him he will fuck you up.

him or her......

I kinda like the violence depicted in the bible:

<a>2</a>Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

<a>3</a>Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
1 Samuel 15.2-3.

<a>25</a>But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.
<a>26</a>Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light.
<a>29</a>And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.
Judges 19

Steven King couldn’t come up with better stories. :):cool:

<a>2</a>Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

<a>3</a>Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
1 Samuel 15.2-3.

<a>25</a>But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.
<a>26</a>Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light.
<a>29</a>And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.
Judges 19

Standard warfare practiced widely in antiquity by all nations.

Lots of war in the Hebrew Bible, parts of it purport to be historical narrative.

Militant atheists are no different that militant theists; they both strongly believe they are right without any evidence to back up their beliefs.

The Rape of Dinah (Genesis 34)
34 Now Dinah, the daughter Leah had borne to Jacob, went out to visit the women of the land. 2&nbsp;When Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area, saw her, he took her and raped her.
Genocide in Joshua (Joshua 1-12)
Standard warfare practiced widely in antiquity by all nations.

Lots of war in the Hebrew Bible, parts of it purport to be historical narrative.
Shouldn’t that render the Old Testament obsolete?
If not it sounds like standard warfare in that part of the world today.

all of this misses the point of religion.

it's better aspects contain nice moral systems for mankind living together productively and peacefully.

34 Now Dinah, the daughter Leah had borne to Jacob, went out to visit the women of the land. 2&nbsp;When Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area, saw her, he took her and raped her.

Is that the quote you used while gassing up your female patients? :)

Most Christians accept that the New Testament nullifies parts of the Old. MAGAt faux Christians almost exclusively use the Old Testament to justify their beliefs and actions.

This chemistry professor is a little more sophisticated: God doesn't exist and science will have all the answers

Ummm, he's more than just "some chemistry professor", that's P. Fuckin' W. Atkins.

Who wrote the P-chem book you had in college? (I kept my copy of Atkins 3rd Ed. for about 30 straight years...one of the best p-chem books I ever saw) Have you read "The Periodic Kingdom"?

Ummm, he's more than just "some chemistry professor", that's P. Fuckin' W. Atkins.

Who wrote the P-chem book you had in college? (I kept my copy of Atkins 3rd Ed. for about 30 straight years...one of the best p-chem books I ever saw) Have you read "The Periodic Kingdom"?
Just because a person is a great chemistry professor doesn't make them an expert in all things.

This is why I have to laugh at those who give credence to musical or sports celebrities when they comment about things outside their areas of expertise.

Do you agree that beliefs, be it atheism or theism, are just opinions without any evidence to support them?

There's a lot to unpack in the OT. It certainly reads like standard issue mythology written by a people to explain why and where they have found themselves here. The interesting different aspect to the OT Jewish origin story is that it does have a solid amount of self-reflection in it. The Jews in the OT often find themselves to have wandered away from God briefly and been punished for it. It carries with it a through line of "We must do better." lest they incur the wrath of their protector. And that's kinda neat. It's easy enough to imagine a people writing their mythology with an eye toward self-aggrandizement. But the Jews go a slightly different route. And it's actually kinda cool.

In some respects it carries over into the NT and Christianity where the key part of Christian soteriology is the acceptance that we are all fallen and fall far short of God's desires for us. "We can do better".

Only problem with religion: sure we can do better but we aren't. And there's no God to stop us from doing whatever evil is truly in our hearts. And no God needed to help us do better and be better people and to care for those around us.

But we won't take the second route. We never do.

Angry already this morning?

Why did you put "some chemistry professor" in quotes, like I wrote those words.

I wrote "this chemistry professor", and I watch enough theist-atheist debates on youtube to know who he is, but didn't feel the need to blather to the forum about his academic history. You are welcome to start a thread about the academic achievements of Peter Atkins if it floats your boat

Jesus was tortured and crucified. That has the makings of a Steven King novel too.

Nothing from Exodus to Dueteronmy applies to christianity. The OT is included as reference material in the Christian bible. If the history of the Hebrew people in the Hebrew bible angers you, why don't you walk up to a Jewish neighbor or Jewish co-worker to complain about it?

Militant atheists are no different that militant theists; they both strongly believe they are right without any evidence to back up their beliefs.
The OT is a lightning rod.

The fire and brimstone evangelicals seem to have a hard on for the OT.

And when militant atheists complain about Christianity, it is almost always, invariably, and consistently about the Hebrew Bible.

1 Samuel 15.2-3.

Judges 19

I find 1Sam15:3 to be one of the most disturbing verses from the entire Bible. And the fact that when Saul FAILED to conduct a thorough enough genocide God turned his favor from Saul.

I have NEVER heard a decent exegesis to explain this away to make it fit into a logical god concept.

Exodus Chapter 20
Nope, technically the ten commandments does not apply to Christians, because fulfilling Jesus' commandment to love your neighbor as yourself itself fulfills all the moral laws of Torah.

Epistle to the Romans

I thought you claimed to be a practicing bible thumper for many years?

I wrote "this chemistry professor"

Given how often you EXPLICITLY state whoever famous person is you are quoting you ALWAYS mention the person by name.

That means you didn't know who PW Atkins was. Which means you didn't have much chemistry beyond maybe intro. MAYBE.

You mince around on the forum name-checking every human being you imagine will make you look smart. Yet you missed this one.

I just thought it was funny.

, and I watch enough theist-atheist debates on youtube to know who he is, but didn't feel the need to blather to the forum about his academic history.

You are so full of shit.

Why are you so fragile that no one can possibly know more than you do?

Nope, technically the ten commandments does not apply to Christians, because fulfilling Jesus' commandment to love your neighbor as yourself itself fulfills all the moral laws of Torah.

Epistle to the Romans

I thought you claimed to be a practicing bible thumper for many years?

Oh by all means, tell Christians that the 10 commandments don't apply.

You are hilarious.

Back