Why I will never buy a dog and will only rescue

yah its pretty sick. I would never buy a dog out of a pet store.

The only people that should be breading dogs are responsible breeders who want to improve the breed and pick carefully who they sell each dog to.

Currently I would not get a puppy from rescue because my sons age. Its to unpredictable. But once hes older i will likely foster again.

I will never buy a dog because they are too expensive and plenty out there that neeed homes. Plus I am not sure about how well puppy factory dogs will turn out.

A rescue dog is not a problem . Just pick them for their personality. Almost any dog can be taught to submit and my beautiful girl is a great example. Shes alpha all the way and has been surrounded by kids all her life. I always told the kids "just tell her NO like you are the boss because You are the boss of her" kids love that and respond with glee.

well rescuing boxers is a little different. if abused early on they could be dangerous to children. Not a risk im willing to take till hes older.

I beg to differ. While I agree that pet shop puppy mills should be closed, buying a dog from reponsible breeders is a good thing. I have nothing against people who take rescue dogs home. I think that is a wonderful thing. But rescue dogs would not suit the purposes or interests of many people like myself.

Dogs are breed specific and they possess their own characteristics, instincts, and abilities. Cross-breeding violates the geneology that created that specific breed and produces puppies that could be anything. That's fine for someone who just wants a dog, but I, like many others, want a dog for specific purposes. If you have a ranch you probably want a dog that can herd.

Additionally, it's not only the financial expense of having a dog that's important, it's the emotional expense of losing one that is also important. If I'm going to invest the emotional costs of myself and family into a dog, then I want to know the history and health of the lineage of that dog. What it costs is secondary to the emotional considerations. If a thousand dollars buys me peace of mind knowing the dog is less likely to get hip dysplasia and comes from sound parents that exhibit the qualities I want in my dog then it's worth every penny.

You don't get that assurance with a rescue dog .. although I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with having them. I applaud those who rescue them.

Not only can vet bills get real expensive, but losing a dog is like losing a family member. It hurts like hell. If money is the only thing seperating me from getting a dog that will have the best chance of living a long, healthy, and happy life, then I'm spending money.

Most people just want a pet. Those who just want a pet should rescue in my mind.

If someone wanted a herder my pound puppy would have been an excellent choice. She herded from day one at 3 months old. I had her for a couple of months and happened on a herding course in a park festival. No one was arround so I told her "up , over , in" or whatever the command required. She performed like she had done it all her life and I had NEVER taught her it.

Pound puppies can be just as good as any breed of dog you want(you can even get purebreds, mine very well may be a pure aussie).

I bet you could find pound dogs who would meet even your needs BAC. I think you could look them over and find one with the right stuff because you know dogs so well. People who train working dogs do use rescue dogs to train.

Most people just want a pet. Those who just want a pet should rescue in my mind.

If someone wanted a herder my pound puppy would have been an excellent choice. She herded from day one at 3 months old. I had her for a couple of months and happened on a herding course in a park festival. No one was arround so I told her "up , over , in" or whatever the command required. She performed like she had done it all her life and I had NEVER taught her it.

Pound puppies can be just as good as any breed of dog you want(you can even get purebreds, mine very well may be a pure aussie).

I bet you could find pound dogs who would meet even your needs BAC. I think you could look them over and find one with the right stuff because you know dogs so well. People who train working dogs do use rescue dogs to train.

I agree with much of what you've said my friend.

It's a good place to note that the dog used in the new Will Smith movie "I am Legend" is a rescue dog. They trained it to do exactly what they wanted and I'm anxious to see the movie so I can watch the dog.

However, I'm not just a dog-lover, I'm a Bouvier lover. I've had them for over 30 years and I love the character and presence of Bouviers. Their intelligence and instincts are perfectly suited to making a great companion and protector. During WWII the Germans issued special orders to kill every Bouvier their soldiers encountered in Belgium where they originate from because of their loyalty to their owners and willingness to die for them.

To protect them, many owners sent their dogs to France where a slightly different strain developed. The "Dog of Flanders" is a Bouvier (Des Flandres). Although I've owned other breeds of dogs, for me there is nothing like a Bouvier.

I also have a Black Russian Terrier pup, a breed that has only been around since 1957 and not recognized by the AKC until 2004. They are rare outside of Russia.

Check this out ... Only one of these dogs is a Bouvier, which one is it? The othet two are Black Russians.

images

images

images

I got a great mini schnauzer, who's haircut is three times the price of mine.
Got it from a pet store and it's a great dog.

I beg to differ. While I agree that pet shop puppy mills should be closed, buying a dog from reponsible breeders is a good thing. I have nothing against people who take rescue dogs home. I think that is a wonderful thing. But rescue dogs would not suit the purposes or interests of many people like myself.

Dogs are breed specific and they possess their own characteristics, instincts, and abilities. Cross-breeding violates the geneology that created that specific breed and produces puppies that could be anything. That's fine for someone who just wants a dog, but I, like many others, want a dog for specific purposes. If you have a ranch you probably want a dog that can herd.

Additionally, it's not only the financial expense of having a dog that's important, it's the emotional expense of losing one that is also important. If I'm going to invest the emotional costs of myself and family into a dog, then I want to know the history and health of the lineage of that dog. What it costs is secondary to the emotional considerations. If a thousand dollars buys me peace of mind knowing the dog is less likely to get hip dysplasia and comes from sound parents that exhibit the qualities I want in my dog then it's worth every penny.

You don't get that assurance with a rescue dog .. although I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with having them. I applaud those who rescue them.

Not only can vet bills get real expensive, but losing a dog is like losing a family member. It hurts like hell. If money is the only thing seperating me from getting a dog that will have the best chance of living a long, healthy, and happy life, then I'm spending money.

Not all dogs are breed specific, I have two that come from a long line of mutts. I dont think there was a pure breed in the lineage for at least several generations.

Not all dogs are breed specific, I have two that come from a long line of mutts. I dont think there was a pure breed in the lineage for at least several generations.

I should have said all purebred dogs are breed specific.

I talked about mutts when I was talking about cross-breeding, which produces them.

Good morning BAC.

I understand that breeds are very cool and have very specific traits.

I love a breed of one. The beautiful mutt. You go and peruse the animals and see the glory of muttdom and chose the one who you feel fits you like a glove.

I know they may not make the perfect protection dog but if you are looking for the love of your life you are planning on protecting each other (plus the average persons protection is covered well by the noise a little yapper will make on hearing someone walk down the sidewalk in front of your house) and loving each other.

The mutt , the custom designed ,top of the line best buddy ever.

Good morning BAC.

I understand that breeds are very cool and have very specific traits.

I love a breed of one. The beautiful mutt. You go and peruse the animals and see the glory of muttdom and chose the one who you feel fits you like a glove.

I know they may not make the perfect protection dog but if you are looking for the love of your life you are planning on protecting each other (plus the average persons protection is covered well by the noise a little yapper will make on hearing someone walk down the sidewalk in front of your house) and loving each other.

The mutt , the custom designed ,top of the line best buddy ever.

Yep.

Mutts are for those who love dogs, Purebreeds are for those concerned about status.

You were lucky.

You probably paid as much as if you had got it from a breeder.

We look at a couple individuals selling mini pups but they all had a personality quirk, theone from the pet store seemed the most friendly

You were lucky.

You probably paid as much as if you had got it from a breeder.

We look at a couple individuals selling mini pups but they all had a personality quirk, theone from the pet store seemed the most friendly

You got lucky.

There are lots and lots of pet shop horror stories.

You got lucky.

There are lots and lots of pet shop horror stories.
And there are many stories of people who get wonderful pets from the store. The life of the puppies at the store may have been bad up until then, that does not mean it should remain so.

You aint kidding BAC. This is why I am always on the band wagon of Mutts from the pound.

Very few people really need a certain breed. Pure breds are too often a status symbol like USC says.

I love all dogs pure or not but too many animals are abused to provide idiots with status symbols.

And there are many stories of people who get wonderful pets from the store. The life of the puppies at the store may have been bad up until then, that does not mean it should remain so.

Its also about the lives of the dog used for breeding.

Many animals are kept in cages pumping out puppies. You never see them and they have miserable lives while a pound puppies who would be just as good for the family get euthenized.

Its supply ad demand. If people did not demand "pure breds" for status reasons muts would get to live and Breeder dogs would to be tortured.

Back