Why I will never buy a dog and will only rescue

I have a Beagle. Probably one of the most difficult dogs I've ever encountered. I will admit to not knowing much about the breed when he was given to us, had I dont a little more research I don't know if I would have agreed to taking him. He was 6 months and his previous owners knew nothing about training a dog. I only knew a tad more than them! He has a great personality though, I wouldn't give him up for anything.

The best dog I've ever had was a mutt from the pet store. We used to call him Houdini. He had a special talent for escaping. :mad:

I volunteered for about 3 years here with what became the local Humane Society. They still don't have a shelter, and operate on a fostering basis. I had to agree with my husband not to foster, for a few reasons, including that it wouldn't be fair to our own dogs, we didn't want to introduce any unknown health factors though ours are immunized as much as possible, and we both knew how many dogs we'd end up keeping ...

Many of the dogs were abandoned, and some were really sweet. Others, though, I really wouldn't want in my home, not even temporarily. We tried hard to place them all in good, responsible homes, but as an all-volunteer organization we were sparsely staffed and weren't always able to follow up on the placements. I have no doubt at all that some people lied through their teeth to us and didn't keep up their responsibilities.

Now on the other side, we got our first Border Collie 13 years ago at the pound. He was the best dog in the world; my husband said that it was like having another person in our home. When he started getting older, and had been an "only dog" for some time, we decided to get a puppy, or at least a young dog, because we couldn't bear losing him. And one of the things we must accept is that we're likely to outlive our pets, sadly. We couldn't find a rescue BC that was suitable, no matter what we tried, and this surprised us as this breed in particular often finds its way to shelters because of its unanticipated (by unsuspecting owners) extreme energy and space requirements.

A local breeder was recommended to us by someone we trust, and after filling out an extremely detailed, five-page application form, we were accepted for an interview. We wanted a pet (show and performance pups cost a LOT more!), and the breeder chose the puppy for us, after our acceptability was determined, from the current litter. We were extremely lucky; ordinarily you go on a waiting list for some time. We had an "in", though, and were approved. Part of our agreement included taking the puppy for formal obedience training, at least, keeping up all his immunizations, of course, and having him neutered within a predetermined time. We had to provide proof of this from the vet. We also had to agree that if for any reason he wasn't suitable (as if!) we would return him to the breeder and she would accept him back. We also had to state in our wills that shoud we die, the dog would be returned to the breeder. As we have no family for a couple thousand miles, this was quite a relief. If the pup had genetic or congenital health problems the breeder would take him back, or we could keep him if we wanted, and in any event give us another.

I'm sure that those who suggested that we who want purebred dogs only do so for the status didn't understand the appeal of a dog that is not only "purebred", but more importantly, well bred. I've had several dogs throughout my life and loved them all, and have been enchanted by others, but for me the Border Collie is the one that fits, in energy, in temperament, and in personality. The Aussie comes a close second, but whereas Rory is a truly great dog, Barley is a person. I support good sound breeding and all the restrictions that are applied to dog ownership by responsible breeders. You guys just need to come meet my dogs to see why! :)

Great post.

I have a Beagle. Probably one of the most difficult dogs I've ever encountered. I will admit to not knowing much about the breed when he was given to us, had I dont a little more research I don't know if I would have agreed to taking him. He was 6 months and his previous owners knew nothing about training a dog. I only knew a tad more than them! He has a great personality though, I wouldn't give him up for anything.

The best dog I've ever had was a mutt from the pet store. We used to call him Houdini. He had a special talent for escaping. :mad:

Beagles are aggravating dogs , but very gentle and sweet.
Not the smartest breed though.
I had one and it got the most improved ribbon in obediance school. He had a long way to go :D
Only dog I ever had to take to obedience school.

Beagles are all nose. The nose tells them what to do. That is ussually to go tear up the trash can ,howl at the neighbors or steal food off the counter.

Yep their nose gets them into all kinds of trouble.
Had to have my old hound put down earlier this year....

I volunteered for about 3 years here with what became the local Humane Society. They still don't have a shelter, and operate on a fostering basis. I had to agree with my husband not to foster, for a few reasons, including that it wouldn't be fair to our own dogs, we didn't want to introduce any unknown health factors though ours are immunized as much as possible, and we both knew how many dogs we'd end up keeping ...

Many of the dogs were abandoned, and some were really sweet. Others, though, I really wouldn't want in my home, not even temporarily. We tried hard to place them all in good, responsible homes, but as an all-volunteer organization we were sparsely staffed and weren't always able to follow up on the placements. I have no doubt at all that some people lied through their teeth to us and didn't keep up their responsibilities.

Now on the other side, we got our first Border Collie 13 years ago at the pound. He was the best dog in the world; my husband said that it was like having another person in our home. When he started getting older, and had been an "only dog" for some time, we decided to get a puppy, or at least a young dog, because we couldn't bear losing him. And one of the things we must accept is that we're likely to outlive our pets, sadly. We couldn't find a rescue BC that was suitable, no matter what we tried, and this surprised us as this breed in particular often finds its way to shelters because of its unanticipated (by unsuspecting owners) extreme energy and space requirements.

A local breeder was recommended to us by someone we trust, and after filling out an extremely detailed, five-page application form, we were accepted for an interview. We wanted a pet (show and performance pups cost a LOT more!), and the breeder chose the puppy for us, after our acceptability was determined, from the current litter. We were extremely lucky; ordinarily you go on a waiting list for some time. We had an "in", though, and were approved. Part of our agreement included taking the puppy for formal obedience training, at least, keeping up all his immunizations, of course, and having him neutered within a predetermined time. We had to provide proof of this from the vet. We also had to agree that if for any reason he wasn't suitable (as if!) we would return him to the breeder and she would accept him back. We also had to state in our wills that shoud we die, the dog would be returned to the breeder. As we have no family for a couple thousand miles, this was quite a relief. If the pup had genetic or congenital health problems the breeder would take him back, or we could keep him if we wanted, and in any event give us another.

I'm sure that those who suggested that we who want purebred dogs only do so for the status didn't understand the appeal of a dog that is not only "purebred", but more importantly, well bred. I've had several dogs throughout my life and loved them all, and have been enchanted by others, but for me the Border Collie is the one that fits, in energy, in temperament, and in personality. The Aussie comes a close second, but whereas Rory is a truly great dog, Barley is a person. I support good sound breeding and all the restrictions that are applied to dog ownership by responsible breeders. You guys just need to come meet my dogs to see why! :)

No thorn I did not sugest EVERYONE who gets a purebred does it for status and if I gave you that imporession Im sorry for the percieved insult. People like you and BAC are the ones who know how and why to go to a breeder.
I do have to say that my little old girl (12 year old Aussie) who I got from the pound is a person too. I can talk to her in full sentances and you can see all range of emotion in her face. I know I am very lucky to find such a creature at the pound but she is not the only one. I truely feel you did it right. First look at the shelters and local rescue groups and if you have no luck then try and find a breeder like you found.

My boy dog whos been gone for over a year now was a lab and some other big dog mix(I think it was greater swiss mountain dog) did not posses the brains my little girl has but he made up for it in love. He was my 100 lb lab dog. He could sense when you were sad and he would come to you and just be there and snuggle close. He wasnt brainy but he was EVERYTHING a good dog needs to be. Im fucking crying again. Every time I think about him more than a couple of minutes the tears start coming. They are good tears and they are a testament to what a wonderful soul my big boy posessed. He was one of the best creatures I will have ever known in my life including all species.

I just like people to realise that a dog is not to be purchased like an object.Dogs are a long term relationship.

Yep their nose gets them into all kinds of trouble.
Had to have my old hound put down earlier this year....

Sorry to hear it USC. They have those faces where they look up at you with those bug eyes and just melt your heart. It reminds me of the Shrek puss and boots charator. A Beagle is the dog my sister in law bought at a pet shop that I mentioned the other day.

yeah I still miss the old feller.
He had cancer and was old, I kept him on pain pills and such until they would not do the trick...
He had a good (spoiled) life.
He was also a pound puppy.
He looked a bit more like a Walker hound than a Beagle.

Pits are only dangerous when the wrong human has them.

Their instincts and characteristics must be respected and controlled.

Umm that came accross a bit contradictory there BAC.

and even if you are right the fact remains that many of the wrong humans have them.
Actually seem to want to own them for exactly the wrong reasons.

I have known some absolutely cuddle baby pits . Like kids some people should just not have dogs. The person who makes a pit a bad dog is someone who could make any dog a bad dog. All have teeth and powerful jaws for their size. The idiots who get pits and think they are an extension of their dicks are the ones who try to make them mean and agressive.

My beagle is very intelligent, just stubborn. His breed required breed specific training, that BAC was speaking about earlier in this thread. Once I figured that out, it wasn't so hard. But, OMG, at first......ahhhhhhhhh. He still acts like a brat with my daughter - more like a little brother. :D

He's not very loud either. And yes, he's all nose. He also has a plastic bag fetish which is kind of weird.

Beagles are aggravating dogs , but very gentle and sweet.
Not the smartest breed though.
I had one and it got the most improved ribbon in obediance school. He had a long way to go :D
Only dog I ever had to take to obedience school.

LOL 'most improved ribbon. I can relate. :clink:

My nephew dog is a beagle and I dont think he is stupid. I love the look on his face. He can melt your heart.

Back