Why I will never buy a dog and will only rescue

I could never be a dog breeder. Puns aside :)
I could not let the cute little puppies go, and would soon be covered up with dogs if I did not have all my pets "fixed".

And there are many stories of people who get wonderful pets from the store. The life of the puppies at the store may have been bad up until then, that does not mean it should remain so.

I have no problem with that.

There are lots of good stories about people who buy expensive cars from neighborhood lots without no warranty .. which does not mean that I'm going to buy an expensive car there.

To each his/her own design.

I have no problem with that.

There are lots of good stories about people who buy expensive cars from neighborhood lots without no warranty .. which does not mean that I'm going to buy an expensive car there.

To each his/her own design.

Good for you BAC. You should always KNOW your breeder so you can tell how they treat the animals and how they perpetuate the breed.

You aint kidding BAC. This is why I am always on the band wagon of Mutts from the pound.

Very few people really need a certain breed. Pure breds are too often a status symbol like USC says.

I love all dogs pure or not but too many animals are abused to provide idiots with status symbols.

I agree with you and I applaud your bandwagon.

My point is that rescue dogs and mutts don't fit what those who value purebred dogs are looking for in a dog .. AND .. usually those are the people who don't create rescue dogs or mutts.

yah its pretty sick. I would never buy a dog out of a pet store.

The only people that should be breading dogs are responsible breeders who want to improve the breed and pick carefully who they sell each dog to.

Currently I would not get a puppy from rescue because my sons age. Its to unpredictable. But once hes older i will likely foster again.

My sisters boyfriend trains pitbulls. :rolleyes:

I don't show or breed dogs. I always get my dogs free from people who give them to me, or not so free from the pound.

However, I am unwilling to demonize a person for buying a dog at a pet store.

Me either Damo. I even wet with my sister in law to a pet store to buy her dog. I did talk them into looking at the shelters first though. I almost had them sold on one but I was still nice about it.

I don't show or breed dogs. I always get my dogs free from people who give them to me, or not so free from the pound.

However, I am unwilling to demonize a person for buying a dog at a pet store.

I haven't demonized anyone no matter where they acquire their dogs from. I said that Top was lucky getting a good dog from a pet shop. That's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of whole collections of people who know dogs. What I offered is advice for anyone considering buying a dog from a pet shop. For around the same price as a pet shop dog, buyers can get one from an established breeder with AKC papers and a knowledge of that dog's background and behavioral and health history.

Many people don't know that and think they're getting a deal from the petshop. What I offered was advice.

Because I did not want to be seen as "demonizing" TOP about his dog, I did not give the purebred perspective and say that buying petshop dogs perpetuates the puppy mill industry which produces many of the dogs many are trying to save from the chamber. I did not want Top to think I meant him who I'm sure is going to take excellent care of his dog.

I have ZERO problems with however anyone acquires a dog. I'm pointing a perspective I think should be considered. Some of us are into dogs because of the breed and it's instincts and capabilities.

Let me say this .. if Shaun Taylor had my dog he'd probably still be alive.

He had rottys from what I heard the the neighbors complained. I bet those nieghbors feel great about that.

I haven't demonized anyone no matter where they acquire their dogs from. I said that Top was lucky getting a good dog from a pet shop. That's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of whole collections of people who know dogs. What I offered is advice for anyone considering buying a dog from a pet shop. For around the same price as a pet shop dog, buyers can get one from an established breeder with AKC papers and a knowledge of that dog's background and behavioral and health history.

Many people don't know that and think they're getting a deal from the petshop. What I offered was advice.

Because I did not want to be seen as "demonizing" TOP about his dog, I did not give the purebred perspective and say that buying petshop dogs perpetuates the puppy mill industry which produces many of the dogs many are trying to save from the chamber. I did not want Top to think I meant him who I'm sure is going to take excellent care of his dog.

I have ZERO problems with however anyone acquires a dog. I'm pointing a perspective I think should be considered. Some of us are into dogs because of the breed and it's instincts and capabilities.

Let me say this .. if Shaun Taylor had my dog he'd probably still be alive.
You decided to take my post personally. Why? I didn't quote you, I did not say "like BAC". I linked it to nothing of what you posted. I simply described where I get my dogs and what I wouldn't do to another. I didn't even suggest that you had.

If I had a need for a specific type of dog I would seek the best breeder I could find. Then find out who he recommends as a rescuer and likely get the dog from them.

You decided to take my post personally. Why? I didn't quote you, I did not say "like BAC". I linked it to nothing of what you posted. I simply described where I get my dogs and what I wouldn't do to another. I didn't even suggest that you had.

If I had a need for a specific type of dog I would seek the best breeder I could find. Then find out who he recommends as a rescuer and likely get the dog from them.

I was making sure you weren't talking about me, especially given that your post came right after mine and I haven't read anyone here demonizing people who buy dogs from petshops.

I felt in necessary to more clearly explain my position even if just to assure Top I was not demonizing him.

Sorry

I was making sure you weren't talking about me, especially given that your post came right after mine and I haven't read anyone here demonizing people who buy dogs from petshops.

I felt in necessary to more clearly explain my position even if just to assure Top I was not demonizing him.

Sorry
Works.

Makes sense even. No, I have friends who are breeders who think that it is "immoral" to purchase a pet at a store.

I keep telling them those poor animals need homes too. Unfortunately most who would buy them would have no idea how to deal with some issues that may arise...

And if the store could not sell them they would stop buying them.

They would just send them back to the breeder or to the pound.

Its a matter of not allowing their to be a demand which keeps dogs from beeing forced into cages and bred over and over until their health is destroyed and they put them down.

Please remember the Dogs who give birth to these pups. Stuck in cages pumping out puppies with their hair all matted and crawling with bugs and covered in their own excrement. Bred until their health fails.

Poor beautiful dogs used to death.

Works.

Makes sense even. No, I have friends who are breeders who think that it is "immoral" to purchase a pet at a store.

I keep telling them those poor animals need homes too. Unfortunately most who would buy them would have no idea how to deal with some issues that may arise...

I agree with that.

Often people who buy purebreds are looked at as people who think themselves better than those who don't own them, which is usually not true. We hate puppy mills. Two months ago I turned down an offer to stud my dog out because I didn't like the structure of the bitch. It was $2000. or $500. and pick of the litter, but I don't want to produce dogs simply for money .. and don't think I couldn't have used 2 grand.

Unless the bitch is right and the lineage perfect I won't stud him.

Thinking of getting him some sexy dog magazines and soft music. Maybe some Barry White.

And if the store could not sell them they would stop buying them.

They would just send them back to the breeder or to the pound.

Its a matter of not allowing their to be a demand which keeps dogs from beeing forced into cages and bred over and over until their health is destroyed and they put them down.

Please remember the Dogs who give birth to these pups. Stuck in cages pumping out puppies with their hair all matted and crawling with bugs and covered in their own excrement. Bred until their health fails.

Poor beautiful dogs used to death.

Why I hate puppy mills.

You got it BAC , This is why you should never get a pure bred unless you have evidence the breeder is a Good breeder.

Go to the pound not to the pet store or buy direct from a breeder who lets you see their opperation.

The little dogs in the store will always get a home one way or the other. The pound puppy is the one who really needs a home.

You got it BAC , This is why you should never get a pure bred unless you have evidence the breeder is a Good breeder.

Go to the pound not to the pet store or buy direct from a breeder who lets you see their opperation.

The little dogs in the store will always get a home one way or the other. The pound puppy is the one who really needs a home.

I agree with that.

I feel sorry for the dogs in the pound. I can't even go to the pound. Too heartbreaking.

I agree with that.

I feel sorry for the dogs in the pound. I can't even go to the pound. Too heartbreaking.

I volunteered for about 3 years here with what became the local Humane Society. They still don't have a shelter, and operate on a fostering basis. I had to agree with my husband not to foster, for a few reasons, including that it wouldn't be fair to our own dogs, we didn't want to introduce any unknown health factors though ours are immunized as much as possible, and we both knew how many dogs we'd end up keeping ...

Many of the dogs were abandoned, and some were really sweet. Others, though, I really wouldn't want in my home, not even temporarily. We tried hard to place them all in good, responsible homes, but as an all-volunteer organization we were sparsely staffed and weren't always able to follow up on the placements. I have no doubt at all that some people lied through their teeth to us and didn't keep up their responsibilities.

Now on the other side, we got our first Border Collie 13 years ago at the pound. He was the best dog in the world; my husband said that it was like having another person in our home. When he started getting older, and had been an "only dog" for some time, we decided to get a puppy, or at least a young dog, because we couldn't bear losing him. And one of the things we must accept is that we're likely to outlive our pets, sadly. We couldn't find a rescue BC that was suitable, no matter what we tried, and this surprised us as this breed in particular often finds its way to shelters because of its unanticipated (by unsuspecting owners) extreme energy and space requirements.

A local breeder was recommended to us by someone we trust, and after filling out an extremely detailed, five-page application form, we were accepted for an interview. We wanted a pet (show and performance pups cost a LOT more!), and the breeder chose the puppy for us, after our acceptability was determined, from the current litter. We were extremely lucky; ordinarily you go on a waiting list for some time. We had an "in", though, and were approved. Part of our agreement included taking the puppy for formal obedience training, at least, keeping up all his immunizations, of course, and having him neutered within a predetermined time. We had to provide proof of this from the vet. We also had to agree that if for any reason he wasn't suitable (as if!) we would return him to the breeder and she would accept him back. We also had to state in our wills that shoud we die, the dog would be returned to the breeder. As we have no family for a couple thousand miles, this was quite a relief. If the pup had genetic or congenital health problems the breeder would take him back, or we could keep him if we wanted, and in any event give us another.

I'm sure that those who suggested that we who want purebred dogs only do so for the status didn't understand the appeal of a dog that is not only "purebred", but more importantly, well bred. I've had several dogs throughout my life and loved them all, and have been enchanted by others, but for me the Border Collie is the one that fits, in energy, in temperament, and in personality. The Aussie comes a close second, but whereas Rory is a truly great dog, Barley is a person. I support good sound breeding and all the restrictions that are applied to dog ownership by responsible breeders. You guys just need to come meet my dogs to see why! :)

Back