Why was the band KISS so successful?

Was it their music or their look?

Maybe it was their live performances.

They were certainly different at the time.

Live performance and theatrical presentation first and foremost, clever marketing second, music third.

Even Jimmy Page enjoys their live performances. That says a lot. That really is their chief legacy to rock music.

I was never much into their sound

But I always thought the makeup was a smart way to be famous and still be able to preserve their privacy

Take off the costume and makeup after the show and no one knows who you are

Then the idiots took off the makeup and went public

I was never much into their sound

But I always thought the makeup was a smart way to be famous and still be able to preserve their privacy

Take off the costume and makeup after the show and no one knows who you are

Then the idiots took off the makeup and went public

They didn't really recover their popularity until they put the makeup and costumes back on in 1996.

Ace Frehley said he used to go into clubs to jam with local bands on his own time and nobody would recognize him.

Kiss was more of a cult band. I never was a fan of Image Bands, because it just seemed gimmicky to me.

Did someone say teenager? The average age of a Kiss Concert attendee was about 16 years old.

Kiss was also mostly known as being a live band, rather than having been studio geniuses! However, I felt that a few of their hit songs were produced very well. "Beth" was my favorite Kiss song, and how could any rock fan not like "I Was Made For Loving You", and of course the Rock Anthem, "I Want To Rock And Roll All Night"!

Now, Alice Cooper was another image band, but they were a much better talented band.

Kiss seemed to be a 3 chord band- and all too often- the same 3 chords!

Last edited:
Was it their music or their look?

Maybe it was their live performances.

They were certainly different at the time.

I still like them.

I think I know why YOU like them....

kiss-motley-crue-announce-co-headlining-tour-27.jpg

:laugh:

Back