Why we need less college and more reality?

Boris The Animal

It's Just Boris!
This is a subject I've discussed before with several of my FB friends. My current occupation with the NFTA has me convinced more than ever that vocational/ trades careers are not being emphasized enough in the schools because in my opinion it's always "college this and college that". Has been since even before I was a senior some 32 years ago. And that is doing a disservice to our people. No wonder why the building trades are in such high demand right now-shortage of new apprentices to bring up in the ranks. NFTA is experiencing a driver shortage, as is all student, transit, and motorcoach companies/agencies. For example, even with my class and the next two classes behind me, there won't be enough drivers to cover the extra board for very long. Again, if a 19-21 year old has his/her license, that person can easily turn a 35-40 year career and not be saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in college loan debt and a worthless degree. I'm not knocking college, there are fields that require a degree, but why push it as the end all to a better life?

I agree that vo-tech needs to be emphasized in the secondary education world.

In my field, with the plethora of regulations now, we have a seven week intensive training course of which I am just about completed with before being able to go solo. Plus the trade unions have five year apprenticeship programs. It is not difficult to set up a long and fruitful career for one's life.

Why we need less college and more reality?

Clear coherent educated hominids are a clear and present danger to the Reich wing power structure.

Well, you don't need an education to drive a bus.

Actually, you're wrong about that. The regulations we have to follow amount to a book that's over 2-1/2" thick. Plus, in passenger transport, there are additional regulations we have to follow. And incidentally, why would you knock a respected profession?

Actually, you're wrong about that. The regulations we have to follow amount to a book that's over 2-1/2" thick. Plus, in passenger transport, there are additional regulations we have to follow. And incidentally, why would you knock a respected profession?

That's not an education son, that's insuring your conformity, and you've given the power structure no need for concern.

That's not an education son, that's insuring your conformity, and you've given the power structure no need for concern.

Sure it is. I bet you don't have what it takes to maneuver a 40 foot long X 102" wide vehicle through tight urban streets without hitting either mirror or creaming vehicles next to you, let along backing in tight areas, dealing directly with the public, etc. And BTW, mine is an honorable profession.

Sure it is. I bet you don't have what it takes to maneuver a 40 foot long X 102" wide vehicle through tight urban streets without hitting either mirror or creaming vehicles next to you, let along backing in tight areas, dealing directly with the public, etc. And BTW, mine is an honorable profession.

No one said anything about your profession hon, and I agree, college is not the place for a hominid of your caliber.

I dunno. You RW cocksuckers continually shit on the teaching profession. That’s one that actually requires a degree and usually involves advanced degrees.

When my dad was in high school the votech classes built a modular house every year. When that house was auctioned off every year, it fetched more money than it would cost to buy the same house from the modular people. The high school house had a reputation for being a superior quality build. People whose children had spent their lives in private school would pull their students into that public high school because it too was superior on the academic side. Now people will move just to keep their kids from having to go there.

Our local school system's problem has a clear beginning point for this---it was when consolidation began. It started with eliminating junior high schools by putting 8th graders back in middle school and moving 9th graders into the already crowded HS. To make room, vocational classes were almost completely eliminated across the board. Then came elementary school consolidations, Then came middle school shakeups though I wouldn't call it consolidation---they just started this bizarre shuffle of campuses and toying with the lines, Elementary schools became middle schools and middle schools become elementary schools. No rhyme or reason to it really. We now have schools sitting empty the city won't sell or do anything with but they will occasionally re-open one and close another while doing work to the ones re-opened and nothing to the ones re-closed. Add into all this zero-tolerance and the squeeze of no child left behind and budget pressures, and it seems like the goal now is to drive as many people out of the public school system as possible.

Yes we should promote vocational training, but we also need to promote college prep as well. Schools are just a quagmire of problems that never seem to get better. Most of the problems seem to originate with administrators having lost their fucking minds in pursuit of "change".

Back