World cinema - my pick list

Red Cliff

In ancient China, the emperor of the Han Dynasty allows General Cao Cao (Fengyi Zhang) to declare war against the rebellious southern provinces, with the intention of unifying the entire country. Cao's large army quickly advances, killing civilians and soldiers alike. To resist Cao, the southern warlords form an alliance led by Viceroy Zhou Yu (Tony Leung). Outnumbered, Zhou relies upon elaborate formations and unorthodox strategies to fight against Cao's overwhelming forces

This is the genre I watch, “Hero”, “Curse of the Golden Flower”, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”

I also love romances, “Like Water for Chocolate” is one of my favorites

I watch subtitles even with American and British film.

Dubbing in English is lame. I do not think dubbing is even a common practice anymore- it degrades the experience and quality of the film
The only dubbing I love is the martial art spoofs. They are hilarious, “Shaolin Soccer” is one of my favorites.

When I lived in Germany the American films were dubbed in German. That was in the mid to late 1990's. Don't know if they still do that, but I agree it's lame.
And subtitles help to learn the language.
Most Germans I knew back then had very good English or wanted to improve their English . Very few didn't understand any.

That reminds me of a Kurdish guy where I worked a couple of decades ago. He and his family escaped from Iraq, were sponsored by an American church, and helped to come here and start a new life. He knew some basic English but his family did not. They watched American movies at home to try to learn more. He did pretty well at it except for one thing. One of the supervisors had to finally speak privately to him and tell him that certain words were inappropriate to the work place. lol

This is the genre I watch, “Hero”, “Curse of the Golden Flower”, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”

I also love romances, “Like Water for Chocolate” is one of my favorites

I also have an affinity for good Chinese films!

That reminds me of a Kurdish guy where I worked a couple of decades ago. He and his family escaped from Iraq, were sponsored by an American church, and helped to come here and start a new life. He knew some basic English but his family did not. They watched American movies at home to try to learn more. He did pretty well at it except for one thing. One of the supervisors had to finally speak privately to him and tell him that certain words were inappropriate to the work place. lol

Funny..

In grad school I had a friend from Denmark and she had only ever seen Humphrey Bogart movies dubbed (Danish or German I presume). When she finally watched Casablanca with me she was a little shocked at how high pitched and squeaky Bogarts voice sounded to her, at least compared to the Danish voice actor she was accustomed to.

Funny..

In grad school I had a friend from Denmark and she had only ever seen Humphrey Bogart movies dubbed (Danish or German I presume). When she finally watched Casablanca with me she was a little shocked at how high pitched and squeaky Bogarts voice sounded to her, at least compared to the Danish voice actor she was accustomed to.

Hahahaha... that's hilarious.

I also have an affinity for good Chinese films!

If you like Rom Coms it's hard to beat Philippine Cinema. My wife won't let me watch them anymore because I always ask "Is this where the Filipina cries?". Filipinas are some of the best actresses at doing emotional meltdowns...and they're so cute in doing it.

Funny..

Hilarious

Thanks for the movie tips. "Window to Paris" plot reminded me of the Woody Allen film "Midnight in Paris."

I need to force myself to watch Bicycle Thieves, simply as an obligation to being a well rounded human being.

It was hard to get through (like some of the Fellini movies).

Some favorite foreign films:

Black Orpheus

Phaedra

When I lived in Germany the American films were dubbed in German. That was in the mid to late 1990's. Don't know if they still do that, but I agree it's lame.
And subtitles help to learn the language.
Most Germans I knew back then had very good English or wanted to improve their English . Very few didn't understand any.

I read a story of a woman in one of the Eastern European communist nations. Everybody knew her voice because she dubbed all the American movies into her language. People would go to the basement of their building and watch these movies which had been smuggled in without censorship. Even scenes from some cartoons were censored because they contained scenes of tables with big piles of food and regular movies were censored if they showed nice homes or apartments.

Das boot made an impression on me.

I am clueless on Filipino film!

Well Try Pinay Pie. It's a Rom Com/Girl Power movie about three ladies who's get dumped by their boyfriends efforts to help one of them win a beauty contest. Oh...and beauty contest in the Phillipines are slightly less rough than the NFL.

Uruguayan tragicomedy film directed by Juan Pablo Rebella and Pablo Stoll and released in 2004.

When his long-lost brother resurfaces, Jacobo, desperate to prove his life has added up to something, looks to scrounge up a wife. He turns to Marta, an employee at his sock factory, with whom he has a prickly relationship.

MV5BMTc0NTQ2NjU3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTYwMDIzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

It was hard to get through (like some of the Fellini movies).

Some favorite foreign films:

Black Orpheus

Phaedra

Hmmm, Fellini might be too weird for me.

Haven't seen Black Orpheus in 30 years, might be worth a second view

It is interesting to talk to people with those experiences

I give a lot of respect to nations that vigorously resisted the Nazi occupation, Norway, Poland, Russia/USSR.
The Vichy French really piss me off.
She, when she would talk, we would just listen, usually captive audience in the car..

While there were some bad parts, not grizzly, cold (black and white agony) but good memories of fishing, playing etc & hatred & fear of the Germans, some of which were living w/ their neighbors & they kept a healthy distance from..

I watch subtitles even with American and British film.

Dubbing in English is lame. I do not think dubbing is even a common practice anymore- it degrades the experience and quality of the film

My favorite dubbing was the karate flicks of the late 70's & 80's........:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: & half of them were out of cynic most of the time..

Back