World cinema - my pick list

Red Cliff

In ancient China, the emperor of the Han Dynasty allows General Cao Cao (Fengyi Zhang) to declare war against the rebellious southern provinces, with the intention of unifying the entire country. Cao's large army quickly advances, killing civilians and soldiers alike. To resist Cao, the southern warlords form an alliance led by Viceroy Zhou Yu (Tony Leung). Outnumbered, Zhou relies upon elaborate formations and unorthodox strategies to fight against Cao's overwhelming forces

:hand:

Red Cliff

In ancient China, the emperor of the Han Dynasty allows General Cao Cao (Fengyi Zhang) to declare war against the rebellious southern provinces, with the intention of unifying the entire country. Cao's large army quickly advances, killing civilians and soldiers alike. To resist Cao, the southern warlords form an alliance led by Viceroy Zhou Yu (Tony Leung). Outnumbered, Zhou relies upon elaborate formations and unorthodox strategies to fight against Cao's overwhelming forces

It is still on youtube if anyone is interested...

She, when she would talk, we would just listen, usually captive audience in the car..

While there were some bad parts, not grizzly, cold (black and white agony) but good memories of fishing, playing etc & hatred & fear of the Germans, some of which were living w/ their neighbors & they kept a healthy distance from..

Puts things into perspective, eh?

I had a window on history of that era: my cousin lived under a Nazi occupation, my grandmother, father, and aunt lived under a Japanese occupation, and my aunt's husband survived a sentence in the Gulag.

I personally try not to complain about trivial stuff!

Sidebar: This is the best Italian movie I have seen in recent years..

Last edited:
Puts things into perspective, eh?

I had a window on history of that era: my cousin lived under a Nazi occupation, my grandmother, father, and aunt lived under a Japanese occupation, and my aunt's husband survived a sentence in the Gulag.

I personally try not to complain about trivial stuff!

Sidebar: This is the best Italian movie I have seen in recent years..

Is it in English or Italian??

My great grandfather was set off to Canada for similar events, although I don't know the personal details..

"What's Up Tiger Lily" is a Japanese spy movie dubbed into English by Woody Allen with a completely different dialogue and story line. I don't know the original name of the movie.

Is it in English or Italian??

My great grandfather was set off to Canada for similar events, although I don't know the personal details..

Italian with English subtitles is how it was presented Netflix is my recollection

Back