World Environment Day

Irish Exit

Verified User
Today is World Environment Day.

Anybody doing any eco-friendliness today?

Need some ideas that require not a lot but adds to the cause: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/w...18-heres-how-you-can-do-your-bit-2583367.html

I have gathered up my recycling to drop off (which I do anyway)

I have shredded newspaper and added to my compost bins (which I do anyway)

I have harvested from my own garden (which I do anyway)

I am about to deliver some plants I propagated to someone I am tricking into becoming a gardener by green grooming her (which I have been doing awhile).

I have planted a few things I propagated for myself.

I don't even believe man-made part of global warming is significant, but I do hate me some pollution.

In summer time I like to drive around with the AC kicking and the driver window down, I like the cool breeze from the AC and the fresh air from outside, ... but if it's 'World Environment Day' I guess I could roll it up for a day. I support 'Save the Planet'.

In summer time I like to drive around with the AC kicking and the driver window down, I like the cool breeze from the AC and the fresh air from outside, ... but if it's 'World Environment Day' I guess I could roll it up for a day. I support 'Save the Planet'.

You could roll it up half way and split the difference :rolleyes:

Not sure "roll up" is really the right phrase anymore since cars all have electric windows but we haven't come up with an appropriate replacement for that phrase so I guess we just have to recycle the one we have.

I have a crank handle ... with standard shift. (2016 Nissan Truck)
No ... half way down defeats the purpose, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Today is World Environment Day.

Anybody doing any eco-friendliness today?

Need some ideas that require not a lot but adds to the cause: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/w...18-heres-how-you-can-do-your-bit-2583367.html

I have gathered up my recycling to drop off (which I do anyway)

I have shredded newspaper and added to my compost bins (which I do anyway)

I have harvested from my own garden (which I do anyway)

I am about to deliver some plants I propagated to someone I am tricking into becoming a gardener by green grooming her (which I have been doing awhile).

I have planted a few things I propagated for myself.

I don't even believe man-made part of global warming is significant, but I do hate me some pollution.
I just organized a lab pack. I also spent an hour on the phone explaining to a lady why she needed to add an inhibitor to her resin waste before I could ship it to an incinerator.

Watered and weeded the gardens; took the recycling out to the car before its trip to the transfer station; tossed the kitchen scraps into the compost bin; hanging the laundry out to dry rather than using the dryer. Our water comes from a deep well.... anything not used by the gardens just finds its way eventually down the hill to Kichi-Gami. We do this stuff routinely, so basically nothing special for the day.... except a bit of extra gratitude for this beautiful place we call home.

Watered and weeded the gardens; took the recycling out to the car before its trip to the transfer station; tossed the kitchen scraps into the compost bin; hanging the laundry out to dry rather than using the dryer. Our water comes from a deep well.... anything not used by the gardens just finds its way eventually down the hill to Kichi-Gami. We do this stuff routinely, so basically nothing special for the day.... except a bit of extra gratitude for this beautiful place we call home.

I should use my clothesline more often....well for drying clothes as opposed to just growing beans on it, but that is like 100 feet uphill each way when the dryer doesn't even require two steps from the washer.

I should use my clothesline more often....well for drying clothes as opposed to just growing beans on it, but that is like 100 feet uphill each way when the dryer doesn't even require two steps from the washer.

Yeah, you don't want to tax yourself or anything. lol

I love it when you talk tech. What did you just say? lol
I'm a hazmat manager (read glorified garbage man) by occupation so every day is environmental day for me.

A lab pack is what it sounds like. When a laboratory needs to dispose of a large number of expired or off-spec small containers of chemicals a chemist needs to package and dispose of them. It gets pretty complicated as there's a lot of detail to doing it.

Resins are chemicals composed of individual chemical units called monomers. When a small amount of a chemical called a catalyst is mixed with the monomers they start reacting by bonding together to form long chain molecules called polymers. Plastics are probably the polymers you're most familiar with. Resins can be hazardous in that they can sometimes spontaneously polymerize and in the process generate a lot of heat and pressure. So while in transport or in storage a chemical called an inhibitor is added which does the exact opposite of a catalyst. It prevents the monomer from reacting to form polymers. So inhibitors are often added to resins (monomers) for safety purposes.

Last edited:
I'm a hazmat manager (read glorified garbage man) by occupation so every day is environmental day for me.

A lab pack is what it sounds like. When a laboratory needs to dispose of a large number of expired or off-spec small containers of chemicals a chemist needs to package and dispose of them. It gets pretty complicated as there's a lot of detail to doing it.

Resins are chemicals composed of individual chemical units called monomers. When a small amount of a chemical called a catalyst is mixed with the monomers they start reacting by bonding together to form long chain molecules called polymers. Plastics are probably the polymers you're most familiar with. Resins can be hazardous in that they can sometimes spontaneously polymerize and in the process generate a lot of heat and pressure. So while in transport or in storage a chemical called an inhibitor is added which does the exact opposite of a catalyst. It prevents the monomer from reacting to form polymers. So inhibitors are often added to resins (monomers) for safety purposes.

I can only imagine the reams of government paperwork all this requires. Do you have a degree in chemistry?

No, I have BA in Biology and a MS in EH&S Management. I also did a year of professional studies in human Biology and I spent almost 3 years as a research assistant at Ohio States graduate school of Materials Science and Ceramic Engineering. Though I by no means consider myself an engineer. I will admit it was a hell of a challenge working at that level of Engineering with no formal education or training in Engineering.

I’ve worked in the hazardous waste management field for 29 years. I spent about half that time working in hazardous waste recycling and the other half in managing the transportation, storage and disposal of hazardous waste.

And no...I don’t glow in the dark...at least not yet.

I can only imagine the reams of government paperwork all this requires. Do you have a degree in chemistry?

Oh...and yes. Lots of paper work. In fact I currently work in a compliance role so that’s all I do is paperwork. In fact it’s the ultimate irony of working in the environmental field. We kill more trees than anyone. Lol

Oh...and yes. Lots of paper work. In fact I currently work in a compliance role so that’s all I do is paperwork. In fact it’s the ultimate irony of working in the environmental field. We kill more trees than anyone. Lol

Ironic for real. My dad had a masters in chemistry; worked for The Great Satan Monsanto his entire career. He managed a lab and could definitely relate to the woes of paperwork.... and he retired in 1978. Can't imagine what horrors exist now. lol

Unfortunately it's become commercialized just like Christmas.

What? World Environment Day or Earth Day?
A few yrs. back I was in D.C. during Earth Day and it was nothing. Some public radio station there lamented what a big deal it was in the '70's (?) and now it was a few people milling around on the Washington Mall eating hot dogs.

What? World Environment Day or Earth Day?
A few yrs. back I was in D.C. during Earth Day and it was nothing. Some public radio station there lamented what a big deal it was in the '70's (?) and now it was a few people milling around on the Washington Mall eating hot dogs.

Earth Day has become a commercialized event.

Back