World Environment Day

Today is World Environment Day.

Anybody doing any eco-friendliness today?

Need some ideas that require not a lot but adds to the cause: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/w...18-heres-how-you-can-do-your-bit-2583367.html

I have gathered up my recycling to drop off (which I do anyway)

I have shredded newspaper and added to my compost bins (which I do anyway)

I have harvested from my own garden (which I do anyway)

I am about to deliver some plants I propagated to someone I am tricking into becoming a gardener by green grooming her (which I have been doing awhile).

I have planted a few things I propagated for myself.

I don't even believe man-made part of global warming is significant, but I do hate me some pollution.

My contribution today....

I actually threw my aluminum soda can in the recycle bin, rather than tossing it out my car window.

Tomorrow, I may advance to two-sided copy printing at work. Sadly, I think I may have killed an entire forest in the past month.

My contribution today....

I actually threw my aluminum soda can in the recycle bin, rather than tossing it out my car window.

Tomorrow, I may advance to two-sided copy printing at work. Sadly, I think I may have killed an entire forest in the past month.

Damn be the trees. I don't do double-sided printing/copying ever.

Looks like a commercial flop to me.

There are remaining literally millions of us old hippies, Earth Day supporters, amateur environmentalists, etc who will keep the message alive.

Personal note: I was a teenager in 1970. My dad loved nature and photography and I would often tag along with him on his journeys. A favorite spot of his was St. Louis's majestic Missouri Botanical Gardens. We were there one morning when we crossed paths with some sci-guys my dad knew. We shook hands and chatted and then moved on. One of them happened to be Barry Commoner, supposedly the founder of Earth Day. I was a teen kid and was like "oh great, more old people." Imagine my surprise to find that old guy I met, on the cover of a magazine in our mailbox:

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19700202,00.html

There are remaining literally millions of us old hippies, Earth Day supporters, amateur environmentalists, etc who will keep the message alive.

Personal note: I was a teenager in 1970. My dad loved nature and photography and I would often tag along with him on his journeys. A favorite spot of his was St. Louis's majestic Missouri Botanical Gardens. We were there one morning when we crossed paths with some sci-guys my dad knew. We shook hands and chatted and then moved on. One of them happened to be Barry Commoner, supposedly the founder of Earth Day. I was a teen kid and was like "oh great, more old people." Imagine my surprise to find that old guy I met, on the cover of a magazine in our mailbox:

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19700202,00.html

Funny how stuff like that happens. When I lived in NYC a little old lady asked me to help her across the street. I ended up giving her my elbow until I got her all the way to the theater she was going too since it was only a couple more blocks. Ended up discovering that she was some famous old actress/personality when some woman came trotting up to me right after I handed her off to the theater folks OMG'ing and asking how I knew her. I forget her name now but she was about the size of an anorexic 8 year old and had a real distinctive almost scratchy voice.

Ironic for real. My dad had a masters in chemistry; worked for The Great Satan Monsanto his entire career. He managed a lab and could definitely relate to the woes of paperwork.... and he retired in 1978. Can't imagine what horrors exist now. lol
The horror is that with computers you can do far more and the pressure to do so is extremely intense.

What? World Environment Day or Earth Day?
A few yrs. back I was in D.C. during Earth Day and it was nothing. Some public radio station there lamented what a big deal it was in the '70's (?) and now it was a few people milling around on the Washington Mall eating hot dogs.

Well no shit it was a big deal in the 70’s. Pollution was a bigger problem then and full implementation of the major environmental laws wasn’t completed till the mid to late 80’s.

People born after 1980 really have no clue how bad the problem was. All they know is from old photos. They don’t have first hand experience.

Well no shit it was a big deal in the 70’s. Pollution was a bigger problem then and full implementation of the major environmental laws wasn’t completed till the mid to late 80’s.

People born after 1980 really have no clue how bad the problem was. All they know is from old photos. They don’t have first hand experience.
I learned of a new holiday today. Ever hear of Juneteenth? Some lady came to the office looking for a donation for events on June 19.

No, they do not. I never saw a Canada goose till I was an adult. I never saw a hawk of any flavor, nor a bald eagle... till I was an adult. I remember not being allowed to play outside because the air was so polluted on certain days. Sometimes my dad would go to sci-guy conferences in Pittsburgh and come home with his white shirts gray and stinking. The few rivers that I saw were brown, stinking, and filled with floating chunks of some horrible stuff. Some of them even caught on fire. Love Canal. Times Beach (I actually lived near there before it become a national symbol of shame, and have walked its restored trails since.) My only visit to the beautiful sand dunes and lakeshore of Lake Michigan at Holland, as a kid, was a disgusting experience because the beach was covered with dead fish from yet another fish kill massacre from chemical spills.

We still have a ton more work to do, but it's a hell of a lot better since 1970, when Nixon signed into creation the EPA. Can you even imagine any (R) doing that today?

No, they do not. I never saw a Canada goose till I was an adult. I never saw a hawk of any flavor, nor a bald eagle... till I was an adult. I remember not being allowed to play outside because the air was so polluted on certain days. Sometimes my dad would go to sci-guy conferences in Pittsburgh and come home with his white shirts gray and stinking. The few rivers that I saw were brown, stinking, and filled with floating chunks of some horrible stuff. Some of them even caught on fire. Love Canal. Times Beach (I actually lived near there before it become a national symbol of shame, and have walked its restored trails since.) My only visit to the beautiful sand dunes and lakeshore of Lake Michigan at Holland, as a kid, was a disgusting experience because the beach was covered with dead fish from yet another fish kill massacre from chemical spills.

We still have a ton more work to do, but it's a hell of a lot better since 1970, when Nixon signed into creation the EPA. Can you even imagine any (R) doing that today?

There are a lot of conservationists on the right. Trying to make this an us against them thing is not helping Mother Nature one bit.

Sure...if Congress has a veto proof majority. Though by and large until recently environmental laws have enjoyed broad popular support. Most arguments against them, mainly that they would harm the economy, were embarrassingly wrong. In fact the exact opposite happened. It created entire new industries by reducing waste and by improving efficiency which improved the bottom line.

When I hear someone arguing against environmental laws by arguing at the extremes I’ll tell them I’ll be right over to dump a drum of methyl ethyl ketone in their yard.

I’m impressed you know of Time Beach Missouri which is an excellent example of crazy shit that can happen without adequate environmental protection. I used to live and work in North East Arkansas and have actually met Russ Bliss who played a major role in creating the mess and John Ashcroft who was Governor during the relocation and remediation phase.

One ignorant rube and an irresponsible chemical company cost tax payers half a billion dollars and 800 families their homes and for some their living. EPA handled the situation rather poorly to say the least.

The scary part is that though Times Beach got a lot of press in the 70’s and 80’s due to the relocation it’s not even close to the worst environmental disaster sites I’ve seen. Most of the worst ones are associated with the nuclear industry.

Last edited:
"Juneteenth, also known as Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day, is an American holiday that commemorates the June 19, 1865, announcement of the abolition of slavery in the U.S. state of Texas, and more generally the emancipation of enslaved African-Americans throughout the former Confederacy of the southern United States. Its name is a portmanteau of "June" and "nineteenth", the date of its celebration.[1][2] Juneteenth is recognized as a state holiday or special day of observance in forty-five states.[3]"

from wiki

There are a lot of conservationists on the right. Trying to make this an us against them thing is not helping Mother Nature one bit.

Hmm, not so much any more, except for hunters who mostly tend to want to preserve wilderness and wildlife in order to keep their sport alive. As we've seen with the Trump administration, national parks and monuments are being opened for commercialization. Obama-era clean air and water regulations are being dumped. ANWR is being opened for drilling. All this applauded by the right.

Hmm, not so much any more, except for hunters who mostly tend to want to preserve wilderness and wildlife in order to keep their sport alive. As we've seen with the Trump administration, national parks and monuments are being opened for commercialization. Obama-era clean air and water regulations are being dumped. ANWR is being opened for drilling. All this applauded by the right.

Hmmm...I thought we were "gun humpers..."

Why someone is a conservationist doesn't matter as long as they are. Our ubber conservative county government fought off an attempt to put a mega-hog farm facility in it. The state was "Here we are getting you a big business farming operation, so praise us." County was "Oh the hell you will." State was "We are the state and need more tax money so we can do whatever we want so suck it." County was all "And we are the local government who won't be doing new water and power lines; won't be improving roads for this thing, and will be ticketing every single one of their trucks that break the speed limit or doesn't have proper papers and we will be checking 24/7" and which point Big Pork was "Oh shit. Never mind". Protecting rural water sheds is a big bipartisan issue when everybody has to drink from wells.

Unlikely ANWR will actually be drilled given the high cost and logistics compared to fracking.

Back