Yet Another Question (actually 2 questions):

I know, right? There's another low-IQ MAGAT who follows certain ppl around, calls their threads "troll threads," yet can't stop posting repeatedly in them. Have you also noticed that their mental issues seem to be accelerating as the election grows ever nearer? Harris is really triggering them. lol
Normally, I would just disregard his remarks. But the way he made them was too much to resist, so I took a shot back.

I suspect the reason he calls so many people trolls...is because he is a troll.

retirement, it is boring after a couple of months, so most travel, do volunteer work, take up full time hobbies, or in the case of people who had real jobs and thus no way to save money they still go to work every day.
Most people seem to have interpreted "leisure time" to mean...sitting around doing nothing.

That is NOT what leisure time is. Leisure time is time that one gets to choose what one WANTS to do...rather than what one HAS to do. Most leisure time is spend doing more "work" than is spent while "at work." THAT, in fact, is one of the most serious detriments to maximization of productivity.

I volunteered huge amounts of time toward my community, by involving myself in commissions...and by actually doing the work they were created for rather than just compiling a resume. It is a very rewarding experience...even though the "reward" is not money, but satisfaction.
Agreed on your definition of leisure time.

I'm not a fan of Joe Rogan, but a close relative turned me on to his interview with entrepreneur Naval Ravikant. It's over two hours, but I listened to it while engaging in my own "leisure time" of welding projects. Naval pointed out that the purpose of tech was to do the work and give humans more leisure time. More time to engage in creative pursuits, something AI isn't very good at doing. He pointed out that Joe's job as a podcaster didn't even exist a few years prior but tech allowed Joe to engage in a creative pursuit.

More recently, I watched Dax Shepard on Seth Meyers last week. Dax has a popular podcast as does Seth. Dax pointed out he likes it compared to acting and, due to the popularity of his podcast, has branched out to video. A creative pursuit of his own design and desire, not someone else's.

Normally, I would just disregard his remarks. But the way he made them was too much to resist, so I took a shot back.

I suspect the reason he calls so many people trolls...is because he is a troll.
Bingo. There's more projection around here than at a 20-screen cinemaplex. :laugh:

Weighing in late on this. I would be lost without work. I love the leisure time but I suspect it would sour for me if I didn't work as I do.
This forum has been a kind of leisure time since I came across it during the pandemic. At the time I had left the firm I was with and opened an office practice at my house. It's fun in off moments to buzz in here for a while. And it's been informing. I've met a few Trump voters I suppose in professional settings but I don't really know any. I remind myself of the girl from Greenwich Village I read about who expressed shocked disbelief, as quoted in the NY Times, when Trump won in 2016. "But I don't know a single person who voted for him!"

He's definitely among his own kind here. He has several brothers and at least two sisters here who do the same. What miserable lives they must have.
Sad. Our nation needs better mental health care.

Having had a lot of medical appointments this past year, I've noticed a lot of questions are psychological. I don't know if it was because of improvements in the system, my age or being a cancer patient, but the questions were geared to detecting depression, suicidal tendencies and safety at home.

Weighing in late on this. I would be lost without work. I love the leisure time but I suspect it would sour for me if I didn't work as I do.
This forum has been a kind of leisure time since I came across it during the pandemic. At the time I had left the firm I was with and opened an office practice at my house. It's fun in off moments to buzz in here for a while. And it's been informing. I've met a few Trump voters I suppose in professional settings but I don't really know any. I remind myself of the girl from Greenwich Village I read about who expressed shocked disbelief, as quoted in the NY Times, when Trump won in 2016. "But I don't know a single person who voted for him!"
I'm 68. I think part depends upon the type of work and personal interests and another part depends upon the ability of the worker to effectively carry out the work.

I did not agree. I do not see one side of the aisle as saying "right and wrong is a personal choice" and one side saying it is an "absolute."

I certainly do not think that right and wrong is a personal choice...or an absolute. There are times where it is one thing...and other times where it is the other.

Slavery is a moral evil no matter whether legal or illegal. It is a disgusting abomination.

WE CAN AGREE.

NO. If it is a personal choice...some would consider it to be morally correct...and others would consider it to be morally repugnant.

That is one of the problems I have with the god of the Bible. That god was of the opinion that slavery was morally correct.

Okay...but I do not remember this subject being discussed.

My opinion is that "right and wrong" can at times be "absolute"...and at other times...a matter of personal opinion.

Are you saying you do not see any "right or wrong" things as being a matter of personal choice...or are you saying that you do not see any "right or wrong" things as being absolute?

I offered it as an option, because of what you said. You mentioned, "Well my genuine response to your question at the end there would likely trigger an unproductive conversation. I wish we could talk openly about it but people get defensive and things seem to unravel from there"...so I offered to speak to the issue with you by PM.
One side, I submit your side of the political aisle, is far more likely to consider morality a personal choice and not an absolute than the other. If someone said "Morals are a matter of personal choice" and you guessed they were on the left I suspect you would be correct far more than half the time.

But if morals are a matter of personal choice you have legitimate moral basis to tell someone else they cant own slaves.

One side, I submit your side of the political aisle, is far more likely to consider morality a personal choice and not an absolute than the other.

Okay...I accept that may seem to be the case.

For me, personally, there are times where I see it as an absolute...and other times where I see it as a personal choice.

Accepting that there is a GOD...and that the GOD establishes (dictates) moral rights and wrongs which are absolute...is most definitely NOT an absolute.

If someone said "Morals are a matter of personal choice" and you guessed they were on the left I suspect you would be correct far more than half the time.

I'll accept that seems to be the case...now that I think about it.

But if morals are a matter of personal choice you have legitimate moral basis to tell someone else they cant own slaves.
I definitely have the legitimate moral basis to tell someone else that they SHOULD NOT own slaves.

I am missing your point on this, Yakuda. And I am having trouble understanding how it applies to the theme of this thread.

Can you flesh that out a bit.

Back