111 Nations, Minus the U.S., Agree to Cluster-Bomb Ban

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. The fact that the title excludes other countries has no impact on issue at hand: That the gov't that we support and that represents us (those of us from the US), still supports this barbaric form of weaponry.

I'm arguing about the way it was presented, yes. Am I arguing just for the sake of arguing? Eh, I'm posting because I am bored at work waiting for the reports I need. So yeah, thats fairly close to the truth.

I'm arguing about the way it was presented, yes. Am I arguing just for the sake of arguing? Eh, I'm posting because I am bored at work waiting for the reports I need. So yeah, thats fairly close to the truth.

The presentation was fine, accurate, and relevant to the US centered view this board takes on politics. There was no cheap shot to be had. The fact that Pakistan or any other country didn't go along with treaty doesn't negate the fact that the US stance was morally bankrupt.

If it was US centered view, why include Israel?

The fact that the other major powers didn't is as important to the issue.

Cluster munitions are unstable and inviting. I know an Archeologist that works at Ft. Bliss. He had a team out at a site on Bliss and one of his college educated team members picked up an unexploded cluster munition and starting tossing it up and catching it in his hand. If not for a range patrol driving by and seeing this he could have killed every person on his team. He was fortunate that it did not explode on him immediately. Imagine now that you are a 10 year old kid and you see this really cool metal ball on the gound. They are bad news and not necessary in a moder war environment.

Cluster munitions are unstable and inviting. I know an Archeologist that works at Ft. Bliss. He had a team out at a site on Bliss and one of his college educated team members picked up an unexploded cluster munition and starting tossing it up and catching it in his hand. If not for a range patrol driving by and seeing this he could have killed every person on his team. He was fortunate that it did not explode on him immediately. Imagine now that you are a 10 year old kid and you see this really cool metal ball on the gound. They are bad news and not necessary in a moder war environment.

And I think that's what's mind boggling about the US's decision. They aren't necessary and we have a trillion dollar arsenal of other munitions to take their place. You'd think of all the countries in the world, we'd be the first to adopt this. But to take a page from A$$munch's book, the military industrial complex has too heavy a hand in congress.

And I think that's what's mind boggling about the US's decision. They aren't necessary and we have a trillion dollar arsenal of other munitions to take their place. You'd think of all the countries in the world, we'd be the first to adopt this. But to take a page from A$$munch's book, the military industrial complex has too heavy a hand in congress.

The US and Israel have even dropped cluster bombs that look like food packets .. thus putting children at even greater risk.

Israel dropped massive amounts of cluster bombs at the end of their attack on the Palestinians .. when they knew they were about to withdraw.

"Each cluster bomb contains 202 "BLU 97" bomblets which are designed to shred enemies' flesh and wreck their equipment on the ground."

"Ullahjan was luckier than 12-year-old Nickwalli or Samim Ahsanullah, who is eight. Both boys are recovering in Kabul's Karta Se hospital from cluster bomblet explosions.

Nickwalli lost one eye and has injuries to his arms and head. Samim's thin legs, arms and chest are badly injured."

"And once it was revealed that the yellow bomblets were the same size and colour as yellow U.S. food packets being air dropped for civilians in Afghanistan, Washington said it would in future colour food packets blue."

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/13573/story.htm

Cluster munitions are a legitimate weapon of war. The U.S. does not - nor ever has - use cluster munitions in civilian areas. Where the U.S. does use cluster munitions, they are a great tactical weapon. A single tomahawk missile, or just a few bombs or artillery shells have the capability of leaving 50-100 2-3 foot craters in an enemy airfield, or take out a dozen or more vehicles in an assembly area. Then the time delayed munitions continue to play havoc.

A treaty that limited use of cluster munitions to a narrow range of military targets would be acceptable. Forbidding use of anti-personnel cluster munitions would be something to consider. But to agree to a full ban on all cluster munitions is plain stupid. Asking for a ban is a typical emotional over reaction to a few cases of misuse.

Why don't you dimwit lefties get together and ban suicide bombers being used in markets and nightclubs, etc......
but then that particular issue wouldn't show your hate for your own country....
bad idea....sorry, just stick with the cluster bombs

These idiots think war should be fought with rules...that we should only kill our enemy "in a nice way".....they just don't have a clue about war over and above what they saw on 'MASH' and Hogans Heros.....

Cluster munitions are a legitimate weapon of war. The U.S. does not - nor ever has - use cluster munitions in civilian areas. Where the U.S. does use cluster munitions, they are a great tactical weapon. A single tomahawk missile, or just a few bombs or artillery shells have the capability of leaving 50-100 2-3 foot craters in an enemy airfield, or take out a dozen or more vehicles in an assembly area. Then the time delayed munitions continue to play havoc.

A treaty that limited use of cluster munitions to a narrow range of military targets would be acceptable. Forbidding use of anti-personnel cluster munitions would be something to consider. But to agree to a full ban on all cluster munitions is plain stupid. Asking for a ban is a typical emotional over reaction to a few cases of misuse.

The US has used cluster weapons in civilian areas in both Iraq and Afghanistan .. as well as White Phosphorus.

Ending the use of cluster weapons is every bit as intelligent as ending the use of landmines.

Those who clamour for such weapons don't really understand the art of war .. just the Hollywood version of it.

In my opinion.

The "art of war"....

The "art" of using your suicide vest to its best potential....

The "art" of getting the most out or your box cutter, hijack tool....

The "art" of teaching your children to hate..sign your 5 yr. old up now.....

The "art" of cutting off your captive's head...most effective with a dull, rusty knife.....

The "art" of getting US Dims to help kill and defeat the Murderous Demons Of Bush.....

These idiots think war should be fought with rules...that we should only kill our enemy "in a nice way".....they just don't have a clue about war over and above what they saw on 'MASH' and Hogans Heros.....

Man, your day is so over with. It's done. This was the last hurrah.

And I'm enjoying it. I really am. You are doomed to live the rest of your days as a witness to new ways of doing things, actual creativity in foreign policy & real diplomacy, when all you think we should do is pave stuff. You're going to hate it, and you're going to hate how much more successful it is than the old way, and you'll never accept it. But you won't be able to change it.

And I am absolutely loving it.

Man, your day is so over with. It's done. This was the last hurrah.

And I'm enjoying it. I really am. You are doomed to live the rest of your days as a witness to new ways of doing things, actual creativity in foreign policy & real diplomacy, when all you think we should do is pave stuff. You're going to hate it, and you're going to hate how much more successful it is than the old way, and you'll never accept it. But you won't be able to change it.

And I am absolutely loving it.

I'm looking forward to it too.....Its gonna be fun to sit back and watch.....
You've had the oval office 12 out the last 40 years and I realize "its your turn"
No big deal....to hold the Pres. office for 3 terms in a row is unusual to say the least....though it has happened, but its far from the norm....

Hell, I've lived through Jimmy Carter and 19% interest rates and 14% inflation....I survived that so I can certainly put up with Hillary or Obama for a few months....

I'm looking forward to it too.....Its gonna be fun to sit back and watch.....
You've had the oval office 12 out the last 40 years and I realize "its your turn"
No big deal....to hold the Pres. office for 3 terms in a row is unusual to say the least....though it has happened, but its far from the norm....

Hell, I've lived through Jimmy Carter and 19% interest rates and 14% inflation....I survived that so I can certainly put up with Hillary or Obama for a few months....

For a few months? What are you hoping for, impeachment or a bullet?

Since I see how easily you dismiss the horrid deaths of tiny little children from cluster bombs, I suppose it wouldn't matter to you how a Democrat was eliminated.

I sure am glad I do not understand how the brain of a neocon works or does not work , depending on your point of view.

Back