60% of Americans oppose the war!

I blame the religous right for the AIDS thing, because it was related to sex they were very slow to react to it. The idea that it was Gods punishment for deviant sex caused the slow reaction.

I blame sodomite promiscuity for the "AIDS thing." You blame the religious right because that's what the wacko left-wing wants you to believe. What the hell did you want the government to do about it? Give you sodomites free condoms?

LEADERS don't lead by looking at polls and worrying about the direction of the wind.....they LEAD.....its what seperates Republicans from Democrats....
Republicans lead and Democrats worry about the voters 'feelings'

LEADERS don't lead by looking at polls and worrying about the direction of the wind.....they LEAD.....its what seperates Republicans from Democrats....

Not according to Dixie, they all look at polls and go with the wind!:pke:

I blame sodomite promiscuity for the "AIDS thing." You blame the religious right because that's what the wacko left-wing wants you to believe. What the hell did you want the government to do about it? Give you sodomites free condoms?

Brent how do you squeeze so much hatred and fear in such a small mind ?

Its called a democracy , what the people want drives a democracy.

You perfer "leadership" to Democracy?

Its called a democracy , what the people want drives a democracy.

You perfer "leadership" to Democracy?
Thankfully we live in a Representative Republic rather than a simple Democracy... Democracy is a recipe for disaster as the minority becomes an underclass.

To say that leadership is a skill that is unnecessary in our Representative government and that they should just follow the polls is, I believe, foolish.

Not according to Dixie, they all look at polls and go with the wind!:pke:

No, I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening. I am fairly certain, each congress-person, has their own independent source for determining what their constituency wants them to do, how they want them to vote on the issues of the day, otherwise, few would ever be able to get re-elected, as they would never be able to legislate in accordance with what their constituents want, because they can't read minds.

That said, it's interesting, every vote taken on the floor of Congress, to cut, run, surrender, retreat, in a year, two years, six months or right now, has met with dismal failure. Every vote taken to continue funding this war that you and your poll claims 60% of us don't agree with, has passed resoundingly. You claim it's because these Representatives aren't in touch with the voters, and I maintain, it's precisely because they ARE in touch with their constituents, and know how they are expected to vote. Your "60% Against This War" shit, is a load of crap and you know it.

if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening!

"An August 3 CNN poll found that 57 percent of Americans backed a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq"

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening!

"An August 3 CNN poll found that 57 percent of Americans backed a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq"

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

Then why did 57% of the elected representatives not back the resolution to do just that? Either your polls are wrong, or representatives are foolishly ignoring the will of their constituencies in an unprecidented and illogical manner!

No, I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening.

Why would 60% demand we withdraw from Iraq if the polls dont say 60% of Americans whant us to Withdraw?

"All in all, considering the costs to the United States versus the benefits to the United States, do you think the war with Iraq was worth fighting, or not?"

Worth Fighting Not WorthFighting Unsure
39 59 1

Then why did 57% of the elected representatives not back the resolution to do just that? Either your polls are wrong, or representatives are foolishly ignoring the will of their constituencies in an unprecidented and illogical manner!

Because congress is republican controlled.

Most Democratic house members voted for a withdrawl timetable, in accordance with voters wishes:

WASHINGTON - The House on Friday rejected a timetable for pulling U.S. forces out of Iraq after a ferociously partisan debate, forcing lawmakers in both parties to go on record on a major issue in re-election campaigns nationwide.

A day after the Senate took the same position against troop withdrawal, the GOP-led House voted 256-153 to approve a nonbinding resolution that says an “arbitrary date for the withdrawal or redeployment” of American forces is not in the national interest.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13338901/

Why would 60% demand we withdraw from Iraq if the polls dont say 60% of Americans whant us to Withdraw?

I am asking you, why wouldn't 60% of Congress be calling for a withdrawal, if 60% of the public legitimately felt that way? You gave me a CNN poll that said 60% of this country opposes the war, so why isn't 60% of Congress following the wishes of their constituency? Those Congressmen pay very close attention to the people who elected them, because most of them want to be re-elected! ...So, a long time ago, they developed ways to get a finger on the pulse of who they represent. I simply don't buy, that they are ignorant of 60% of their constituency opposing the war. I don't buy the assertion, be it republican or democrat, that a politician is intentionally ignoring the sentiments of 60% of their voters. It flies in the face of common sense to believe this.

You made the inaccurate statement, that I believed politicians just follow the polls... stick a finger in the air... etc. That's not what I said. If politicians did indeed follow polls, 60% of them would be following the CNN poll you posted, and demanding we withdraw from this war that everyone opposes! They are not doing this! (Let me check C-Span... nope... not happening!) Again, I will point out, any United States Congress-person, has a very detail-oriented staff and enormous resources at their disposal, and believe me, they fully know and understand what the constituents of their districts want and how they expect them to vote. So, I will ask you again, what do you suppose the reason is for this? Did Bush brainwash them all? Does Dick Cheney have them on some sort of mind-control drug? How is it that Congressional actions do not reflect this 60% sentiment in any way? Sure, there are a few more (R)'s than (D)'s up there, and if these cut-n-run initiatives were being defeated in squeakers by a couple of votes, I might see the relevance to that, but the votes are overwhelming in favor of this war, staying in this war until it is complete, continuing to fund this war regardless of the cost, and it's completely contradictory to the "60% oppose this war" polls you presented.

"I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening."

Are you admiting the polls show 60% want us to withdraw or not?

"I believe they listen to their constituencies. I think, if they looked at the polls and went with the wind, 60% of them would be demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and that ain't happening."

Are you admiting the polls show 60% want us to withdraw or not?

Well, Jarod? You posted the link to the poll yourself, didn't you? I think it would be utterly foolish for me to claim the poll didn't exist. It's right there in black and white for everyone to see, indeed, a poll that claims 60% want us out of Iraq. So, yes, I am admitting the obvious, there is a poll that shows this, according to the CNN story.

Now, let's discuss my question... Why is it, if a poll indicates this, that Congress is not responding to the poll and voting accordingly? Perhaps their internal polls indicate something very different? *Gasp* but that would mean... the CNN poll is inaccurate, and we all know that CNN is never inaccurate, right? Politicians are not generally the kind of people to stupidly commit political suicide and ignore their constituents, so the only possible explanation remaining, is a Bush/Cheney Mind Control spell.

a republican congress is not going to listen to polls if by responding to them, they basically admit that they have been wrong about Iraq this close to the midterms. Instead, they will do their best to continue to mischaracterize the democrats as traitors and cowards and hope that things don't completely turn to shit in Iraq prior to November.

The administration is doing their part by increasing troop strength, especially in and around Baghdad to attempt to keep a lid on the simmering insurgency/civil war until after election day.

Well, Jarod? You posted the link to the poll yourself, didn't you? I think it would be utterly foolish for me to claim the poll didn't exist. It's right there in black and white for everyone to see, indeed, a poll that claims 60% want us out of Iraq. So, yes, I am admitting the obvious, there is a poll that shows this, according to the CNN story.

Now, let's discuss my question... Why is it, if a poll indicates this, that Congress is not responding to the poll and voting accordingly? Perhaps their internal polls indicate something very different? *Gasp* but that would mean... the CNN poll is inaccurate, and we all know that CNN is never inaccurate, right? Politicians are not generally the kind of people to stupidly commit political suicide and ignore their constituents, so the only possible explanation remaining, is a Bush/Cheney Mind Control spell.

DO, you claimed the poll did not say this.. you claimed the poll was comming from a liberal bias and was being interperted to have said that 60% of Americans are against the war in Iraq.

you claimed the poll did not say this.. you claimed the poll was comming from a liberal bias and was being interperted to have said that 60% of Americans are against the war in Iraq.

I said that I don't believe the poll to be accurate. I don't think the poll "says" that at all. I think you and CNN want us to think and believe the poll says that, but this is because you are liberals with an agenda. The reason I suspect the poll is not accurate, is because 60% of Congress is not demanding we withdraw from Iraq, and if 60% of the people actually felt the way the poll claims, they would be. ....Unless they are victims of a mind control ray, or something.

Back