7.6% unemployment in MI now.

Unemployment in the US has never been at 2%. The lowest it got was around 4.2%. It has been around 4.6% for most of the last several years.

Michigan is high due to the failures at the auto manufacturers. They lost their competitive edge and thus are not selling as much as the Japanese. Thus, they cut back their work force. All the while Japan was INCREASING the number of jobs in the US.
Yeah, those went to Kentucky and other Southern States though.

Yep and toyota is making cars at the IN Subaru plant.

Toyota earned their status though. good reliable cars.

We still lose the x factor. The profits go to another country. But---its a job.
Previously we had people on here worried about losing jobs to other nations, when we show there is a gain in that type of job from an unexpected source it is worry about the profits...

Those people get paid, they buy stuff, it's good.

The "Detroit" automotive engineers who I know still can't admit that the Japanese engineering is better than their engineering is.

Detroit - where GM bitchs bitch because the Japanese will not buy their cars. Maybe if they out the steering wheel on the right side, literally, the right side - but NOoooooo, just expect them to buy a backwards car, then cry 'unfair.' Japanese engineers MUST be better - they figured out how to shift the steering wheel to meet the needs of the market!

Detroit - where Chrysler bitchs bitch because the Japanese custom officials send back cars because the bolts have not been torqued to meet government specs -they cry UNFAIR, but when it is pointed out that this is exactly the same requirement placed on Japanese makers to sell in Japan , they simply stutter like Mel Tillis.

this is funny shit majority
if your not smart enough to go to college and get a high paying cush job whine about politicians. LOFL:clink:

What else do you want to talk about on a political site? I don't have a job and you know I went to college. Job stands for Just Over Broke. I own my own company--and it gave me a lot more ammo to whine with. :) I could have unlimited income---a job rarely does that. Besides--sitting on your butt at a desk turns you into a toad.

Previously we had people on here worried about losing jobs to other nations, when we show there is a gain in that type of job from an unexpected source it is worry about the profits...

Yep people in KY are paid far less than the MI ones. Just another example of globalization causing our standard of living to drop overall.

Yep people in KY are paid far less than the MI ones. Just another example of globalization causing our standard of living to drop overall.
Nah, they are paid to the standard of living cost. It is purchasing power, not pay, that gives you the standard of living. They have the same standard of living as those who made so much more in Detroit.

Nah, they are paid to the standard of living cost. It is purchasing power, not pay, that gives you the standard of living. They have the same standard of living as those who made so much more in Detroit.

With less benefits damo. I know many who work in the KY auto industry.

You are missing the big picture. Sure it helped kentuckians, but as a whole America lost out.

With less benefits damo. I know many who work in the KY auto industry.

You are missing the big picture. Sure it helped kentuckians, but as a whole America lost out.
Yes, with less benefits. I am not missing the big picture. I simply pointed out that the "ZOMG! The Profits!" issue is an odd backwards look at the "We're losing jobs to China" thing.

The "Detroit" automotive engineers who I know still can't admit that the Japanese engineering is better than their engineering is.

Detroit - where GM bitchs bitch because the Japanese will not buy their cars. Maybe if they out the steering wheel on the right side, literally, the right side - but NOoooooo, just expect them to buy a backwards car, then cry 'unfair.' Japanese engineers MUST be better - they figured out how to shift the steering wheel to meet the needs of the market!

Detroit - where Chrysler bitchs bitch because the Japanese custom officials send back cars because the bolts have not been torqued to meet government specs -they cry UNFAIR, but when it is pointed out that this is exactly the same requirement placed on Japanese makers to sell in Japan , they simply stutter like Mel Tillis.

Yes, engineers can be a arrogant bunch. It makes them easier to beat.

The Japanese typically have it all over us when it comes to quality and manufacturing process philosophies. It actually turned around on the US car manufactures for the worse back when a guy named Demmings came up with statistical process control here in the USA. Our arrogant car makers drop kiked the idea, and Demmings took it to Japan. They used, and still do. We use it now---but we usually use it for the wrong reasons from my exp in manufacturing. The other manufacturig methods the whole world uses (I learned it here in the US also) are pretty much all from Japan.

The Japanese culture helps them out a lot also. They are more unified, and they really pay attention to detail. We have a lot more bad engineers than good ones. (but we have some really sharp ones) They are hard to beat----so why are slave countries making crappy product beating them? It will turn around I think. Quality will become a priority--I hope--with products we sell people. Hopefully, China and the like will not improve quality much----because that is the only edge we have left IMO.

Guys---I really don't like yelling dome and gloom. It puts me in a bad mood--and ya gotta live happy--right?

But---I can feel this in my gut guys. I have made little predictions to myself and friends (all in manufacturing) over the last 6 or so years, and I swear I can see a bad trend.

Sorry for the gloom--but I don't feel good about this. Personally, I think I will be good in a depression---so let the damn economy drop to the dirt!!!----lol

In fact--lets call a good damn depression---a cleansing process. I like that.
:)

A lot of people don't make themselfs very flexable, so if something changes like a job in their life--they get scared. Sure--I understand that.

Who do you mean "those people"?, the employees of a Toyota assembly plant (for example) in the USA?

From what I understand, they treat their employees well. I wish the rest of the world was like that though. Then--it would be fair.

I thank Toyota and Honda for coming here and employing people here. I don't welcome China though. I think there is a China car or two coming over also for sale. I think China actually has over 100 car manufactures.

I am not going to buy one---they play dirty.

A lot of people don't make themselfs very flexable, so if something changes like a job in their life--they get scared. Sure--I understand that.

Who do you mean "those people"?, the employees of a Toyota assembly plant (for example) in the USA?

From what I understand, they treat their employees well. I wish the rest of the world was like that though. Then--it would be fair.

I thank Toyota and Honda for coming here and employing people here. I don't welcome China though. I think there is a China car or two coming over also for sale. I think China actually has over 100 car manufactures.

I am not going to buy one---they play dirty.
Yes, that is what I meant by "those people".

Yes, engineers can be a arrogant bunch. It makes them easier to beat.

The Japanese typically have it all over us when it comes to quality and manufacturing process philosophies. It actually turned around on the US car manufactures for the worse back when a guy named Demmings came up with statistical process control here in the USA. Our arrogant car makers drop kiked the idea, and Demmings took it to Japan. They used, and still do. We use it now---but we usually use it for the wrong reasons from my exp in manufacturing. The other manufacturig methods the whole world uses (I learned it here in the US also) are pretty much all from Japan.

The Japanese culture helps them out a lot also. They are more unified, and they really pay attention to detail. We have a lot more bad engineers than good ones. (but we have some really sharp ones) They are hard to beat----so why are slave countries making crappy product beating them? It will turn around I think. Quality will become a priority--I hope--with products we sell people. Hopefully, China and the like will not improve quality much----because that is the only edge we have left IMO.

Guys---I really don't like yelling dome and gloom. It puts me in a bad mood--and ya gotta live happy--right?

But---I can feel this in my gut guys. I have made little predictions to myself and friends (all in manufacturing) over the last 6 or so years, and I swear I can see a bad trend.

Sorry for the gloom--but I don't feel good about this. Personally, I think I will be good in a depression---so let the damn economy drop to the dirt!!!----lol

In fact--lets call a good damn depression---a cleansing process. I like that.
:)

W. Edwards Deming - I am well aware of how powerful his methods are. I have many years of experience running manufacturing facilities, and I used his methods to my advantage. I leveraged Demings by using Theory of Constraints (Goldratt) as the focusing method. TPS / 5S, SMED, KanBan, Kaizen, Juran, Crosby and just plain common sense- used them all. We can still compete with / outcompete China in areas that are not just a straight labor rate battle. A colleague who has been to China tells me he saw a laborer using a drill press as a 3-axis machine - labor is that cheap.

Back