A Horrible Story

Bfgrn

“In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.”
Jose Narosky

More troops lost to suicide

For the second year in a row, the U.S. military has lost more troops to suicide than it has to combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

soldiers.jpg

The reasons are complicated and the accounting uncertain — for instance, should returning soldiers who take their own lives after being mustered out be included?

But the suicide rate is a further indication of the stress that military personnel live under after nearly a decade of war.

http://www.congress.org/news/2011/01/24/more_troops_lost_to_suicide

HBO produced a powerful documentary that was shown on Veteran's Day. I suggest everyone see it...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5m1tvj1OVE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5m1tvj1OVE[/ame]

Seriously, I know this sounds like a big deal and all, but it breaks down to this being a extremely high stress job (time of war or not) and there being a lot of kids in the service. I've known about 4 people that killed themselves in my company. And my company sucked dick. But it never changed how anything happened, so my guess is that there will be more ammo company suicides in the future

Seriously, I think a lot of this is due to the way parents coddle their kids these days. Lots of jobs are stressful. My parents- both of them- would have said "deal with it, kid".

Seriously, I think a lot of this is due to the way parents coddle their kids these days. Lots of jobs are stressful. My parents- both of them- would have said "deal with it, kid".

I suggest you educate yourself, you scurrilous little moron. Watch HBO's Wartorn. You will see soldiers who fought in WWII who still have major problems. THAT really shoots down your fucking 'My parents' crap.

"Deal with it, kid"? That is what you think would save the suicides?

The stresses of being in the military are very real, especially in wartime or times of significant threats. There have always been suicides in the military. There was a time when many were covered up, but they have always been there.

Perhaps if we took a tiny % of the obscene budget for the military and spent it on taking positive steps to help these kids we could lower the numbers.

IMO, the biggest problem is senior leadership. The callousness exhibited by them is often at the root of probably....90% of suicides in the military. Add to it the general unfaithfulness of their significant others and you can get the other 10% real fast.

I suggest you educate yourself, you scurrilous little moron. Watch HBO's Wartorn. You will see soldiers who fought in WWII who still have major problems. THAT really shoots down your fucking 'My parents' crap.
My parents didn't have kids who fought in WWII. As usual you have no idea what you speak of. :)

My parents didn't have kids who fought in WWII. As usual you have no idea what you speak of. :)

No one said your parents had kids that fought in WWII. You responded in this thread by posting "Seriously, I think a lot of this is due to the way parents coddle their kids these days. Lots of jobs are stressful. My parents- both of them- would have said "deal with it, kid".".

Bfgrn was simply pointing out that wartime military service has produced serious emotional trauma far longer than the "coddling" you blame as the root of the problem.

IMO, the biggest problem is senior leadership. The callousness exhibited by them is often at the root of probably....90% of suicides in the military. Add to it the general unfaithfulness of their significant others and you can get the other 10% real fast.

You have a good point. The idea of the "disposable soldier" has been blamed for plenty of the problems. Between that and a lack of post-service help, and you could likely find the cause for much of the suffering.

You have a good point. The idea of the "disposable soldier" has been blamed for plenty of the problems. Between that and a lack of post-service help, and you could likely find the cause for much of the suffering.
I don't necessarily think it involves 'disposability' but rather just a lack of care for the general goings on and day to day life. Especially in the Marines Corps, where leadership by means of fear is promoted, rather than discouraged.

The parents of WWII vets didn't 'coddle' their kids. It was a generation that believed 'children should be seen and not heard'.

Again, my parents didn't have kids who fought in WWII. What the fuck are you blathering about?

And again you deliberately try to dodge the issue.

Your parents also didn't have any children who joined the military and committed suicide, but you still blathered about them in this thread.

Back