a monopoly on force

It's been argued that the government should have the monopoly on violence in order to enforce the laws, maintain order, and promote justice. It's also been argued that the 2nd Amendment was written to ensure that the people would always retain sovereign power and/or the means of protecting and securing their freedom should the federal government become tyrannical or oppressive.

so, do you think that the government should have the monopoly on violence, meaning that they should always be better armed, armored, and justified in the use of force and violence against citizens?

Last edited:
The idea that government should have ultimate force is an opinion. A really fucked up opinion, at that.

The 2nd Amendment which retains the right of bearing arms to the people is the law of the land. The fact that it has been corrupted by government and government supporting totalitarian fools does not mitigate the fact of why it was written. (Notice no one could meet my challenge to find any quotes from founders to refute the 25 I posted in another 2nd Amendment thread.)

When the people hold the final authority, then and only then are they free. As soon as government takes that away, freedom will eventually follow.

The government is better armed, but they lack effective manpower. A mass uprising by The People would be resisted by a tiny minority of the military, if at all. The key is to amass as many people as suddenly as possible and descend upon two relatively two small buildings- The White House and Congress, during active session. A scant 1% of the population will do quite nicely, say in a Tea Party at the National Mall. Heck they wouldn't even need guns just a handful of crowbars to open locked doors.

The government is better armed, but they lack effective manpower. A mass uprising by The People would be resisted by a tiny minority of the military, if at all. The key is to amass as many people as suddenly as possible and descend upon two relatively two small buildings- The White House and Congress, during active session. A scant 1% of the population will do quite nicely, say in a Tea Party at the National Mall. Heck they wouldn't even need guns just a handful of crowbars to open locked doors.

I would venture to say that put in that position, capital police and secret service would have no qualms about opening fire on people. No, I'd want a firearm.

Chinese U.N. Troops will do it gleefully. And our leaders will watch and laugh.

Sold out bastards. May they all have bad days full of frustration and trouble.

I would venture to say that put in that position, capital police and secret service would have no qualms about opening fire on people. No, I'd want a firearm.

I agree. While the uprising or revolt may be citizens the people who gaurd the president and congress group everyone into two categories: Threat or Nonthreat.

You can be sure that they would open fire.

I think some would and no doubt there would be deaths on the People side of the battle. But I'd expect many to look at a solid wall of people 50 deep, do the math, and save themselves by laying down their 10 round weapons and extra 10 round magazine.

I think some would and no doubt there would be deaths on the People side of the battle. But I'd expect many to look at a solid wall of people 50 deep, do the math, and save themselves by laying down their 10 round weapons and extra 10 round magazine.

The DC cops might fit that 10 round description. And they might lay down their weapons.

But I can guarantee the Secret Service and the military personnel won't lay down their arms. And you can bet they have more than 20 rounds each.

Which of the Tea Party goers would volunteer to go over the fence at the White House first? Who is going to be part of the suicide run of the first hundred or so people to do that?

The DC cops might fit that 10 round description. And they might lay down their weapons.

But I can guarantee the Secret Service and the military personnel won't lay down their arms. And you can bet they have more than 20 rounds each.

Which of the Tea Party goers would volunteer to go over the fence at the White House first? Who is going to be part of the suicide run of the first hundred or so people to do that?

They will be pushed from behind by the massive throng of people converging to intitute justice over the land.

They will be pushed from behind by the massive throng of people converging to intitute justice over the land.

And any of the ground level defenders can be assured of at least one kill per shot. (maybe more depending on ammo used)

A mob (even an armed mob) is not going to gain access to the president by force.

There's more than 300 million Americans, and surely 1% qualify as Patriots. It would be quite easy with proper organization.

You could accomplish a lot with 1% of the population.

But you would certainly not accomplish the "descend upon two relatively two small buildings- The White House and Congress, during active session" plan.

Of couse he could accomplish that. It's easy.

Easy? You think it would be easy to organize 3 million people without any security leaks?

You think it would be easy to move 3 million people into DC without anyone noticing?

Just like any other loosely organized force, the first guys to the fence get to go over. But in this case I'd suppose they'd simply knock it down. Oh, the site of 500,000 patriots rushing the White House lawn- glorious!

Just like any other loosely organized force, the first guys to the fence get to go over. But in this case I'd suppose they'd simply knock it down. Oh, the site of 500,000 patriots rushing the White House lawn- glorious!

The sight of thousands of my fellow citizens dead on the White House lawn does not sound glorious to me.

Do you think they would get into the White House? I have no doubt there are measures to blockade the doors and remove the president and other dignitaries.

You could accomplish a lot with 1% of the population.

But you would certainly not accomplish the "descend upon two relatively two small buildings- The White House and Congress, during active session" plan.
If Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton can mange a point-four-million man march, then certain loud voices of the conservative movement can surely roust three-point-zero, likely more. Glorious!

Back