A Theology Question

Cypress seems petrified that Jesus is exactly who he says he is! Cypress ego can't handle that!

I doubt his lack of belief similar to yours has anything to do with ego. He seems interested in religions for their own sake, not as a seeker looking for the right path for himself. How come he bugs you so much? You know that I'm not Xtian either but you don't get on me for that.

Yes, I understand what the Trinity is,: and that the doctrine of the trinity arose centuries after the authors of the 27 books of the New Testament died.

A detached reading of the NT as a literary source indicates that God the Father is generally not directly involved and does not speak or directly act in the 27 books of the New Testament, outside of John, arguably

Weren't the events of the Book of Revelation "given" to the author by an angel, rather than Jehovah?

I doubt his lack of belief similar to yours has anything to do with ego. He seems interested in religions for their own sake, not as a seeker looking for the right path for himself. How come he bugs you so much? You know that I'm not Xtian either but you don't get on me for that.

I decided that the scriptures of the major world religions are some of the most important literary works humans have ever written, and to some large extent they contain the moral and philosophical wisdom, and ethical frameworks that even today we have inherited. Consequently, my project was to develop an appreciation and working knowledge of them.

Let him answer for himself, instead of liking your post

I decided that the scriptures of the major world religions are some of the most important literary works humans have ever written, and to some large extent they contain the moral wisdom and ethical visions that even today we have inherited. Consequently, my project was to develop an appreciation and working knowledge of them.

Waste of time if you avoid having beliefs.

Waste of time if you avoid having beliefs.

I can't agree. I like reading medical and science articles. My goal isn't to become a physician or a scientist. It's just to gain knowledge of subjects that interest me. Other people enjoy learning about philosophy and religion for the same reason. IMO any knowledge you can gain is not a waste.

I can't agree. I like reading medical and science articles. My goal isn't to become a physician or a scientist. It's just to gain knowledge of subjects that interest me. Other people enjoy learning about philosophy and religion for the same reason. IMO any knowledge you can gain is not a waste.

There's a lot of overlap between religion, history, philosophy, culture, anthropology, even science. To get the full picture, I think ones needs to be aware of the entire context

There's a lot of overlap between religion, history, philosophy, culture, anthropology, even science. To get the full picture, I think ones needs to be aware of the entire context

At this stage of life, I'm content with the just most pleasing view of the picture.
It usually includes donuts--I will admit that much.

I have a question for you, as a student of history. I feel like we weren't taught much in the way of world history in h.s., other than some cursory stuff about the various Chinese dynasties, the Mongols, the Huns, the colonization by Europeans of Asia and Africa. The Western world has a long history of wars that were often sparked by religious differences. Is this true in the rest of the world as well?

I have a question for you, as a student of history. I feel like we weren't taught much in the way of world history in h.s., other than some cursory stuff about the various Chinese dynasties, the Mongols, the Huns, the colonization by Europeans of Asia and Africa. The Western world has a long history of wars that were often sparked by religious differences. Is this true in the rest of the world as well?

My sense is that Asians don't see religion in the same way we do. They don't make any clear distinction between religion and philosophy. I don't think they ever had what we would call a theocratic state, the way Europeans did.

There was certainly religious tension. The Muslim rulers of the Mughal empire certainly had conflict with their Indian Hindu subjects.

But the way Buddhism came to China and Japan wasn't exactly riven with violence. The Chinese adopted Indian Buddhist thought and practice by melding it into their native Daoist tradition, and the Japanese accommodated Buddhism coming from Korea and China into their native Shinto tradition.

People who use "we" know their own argument is weak and, in your case, emotionally based. What part of "People are free" do you not understand? Or are you intentionally lying about it, Perry PhD?

Cypress is not doing that. You are guilty of both projecting and gaslighting....not the first time either.

My suggestion to Cypress is to ignore you as a trollish idiot.
:)

I've stated repeatedly that we are infused with natural instincts, like helping our children and siblings, cooperating with tribal peers to secure the needs of the tribe, and refraining from murdering our tribal peers.

But human ethical development didn't end there with those primal natural instincts. They made advancements, just like our art and technology made advancements.

:)

I've stated repeatedly that we are infused with natural instincts, like helping our children and siblings, cooperating with tribal peers to secure the needs of the tribe, and refraining from murdering our tribal peers.

But human ethical development didn't end there with those primal natural instincts. They made advancements, just like our art and technology made advancements.

While the results are the same, I see it as a baser, more selfish instinct: A desire for social acceptance. Therefore, people try to conform to their peers in order to be accepted. If that means helping with children, siblings and neighbors, they'll do it. If it means killing and robbing others, they'll do that too.

Humans, due to their superior minds, are capable of higher "ethical development" but, IMO, that's learned behavior, not innate.

While the results are the same, I see it as a baser, more selfish instinct: A desire for social acceptance. Therefore, people try to conform to their peers in order to be accepted. If that means helping with children, siblings and neighbors, they'll do it. If it means killing and robbing others, they'll do that too.

Humans, due to their superior minds, are capable of higher "ethical development" but, IMO, that's learned behavior, not innate.
I agree for the most part

The theory in evolutionary biology is these natural instincts are there to ensure the survival and transmission of our genetic information. Cooperating with tribal peers on a hunt or to defend against raiders is an evolutionary benefit for our species as individuals. Helping and protecting our children, even our siblings, is a way to ensure at least some of our genetic code endures and persists through time.

I sort of agree.

The theory in evolutionary biology is these natural instincts are there to ensure the survival and transmission of our genetic information. Cooperating with tribal peers on a hunt or to defend against raiders is an evolutionary benefit for our species as individuals. Helping and protecting our children, even our siblings, is a way to ensure at least some of our genetic code endures and persists through time.

Cooperation and social leanings are good survival traits. Human beings have no horns, fangs, claws or natural armor. They are relatively weak predators. They're greatest tool is their brain but, as we are discussing, that brain needs programming. Human beings have to learn to hunt, learn to work together and learn to create things. The more inclined a person is to be cooperative, the more likely they will learn.

Human beings aren't born noble; they have to learn to be noble. They aren't born ethical; they have to learn to be ethical. We are like very powerful computers without software. We acquire the software from our mentors, our peers and society. In short, our culture.

Look at the diffences between human beings all over the world. Geneticaly, we're all almost identical. Our differences are cultural differences, and those differences are learned behaviors.

At this stage of life, I'm content with the just most pleasing view of the picture.
It usually includes donuts--I will admit that much.

Simplicity should be a goal in life. Enjoying tea and scones, or a game of golf can be perfectly Zen, if it's appreciated in the right way

Simplicity should be a goal in life. Enjoying tea and scones, or a game of golf can be perfectly Zen, if it's appreciated in the right way

Had 18 holes of Zen moments this morning...which ended as I handed cash to my opponent. I missed three...THREE...THREE...THREE putts of less than three feet.

But I didn't let it bother me.

Not for one goddam minute.

Cooperation and social leanings are good survival traits. Human beings have no horns, fangs, claws or natural armor. They are relatively weak predators. They're greatest tool is their brain but, as we are discussing, that brain needs programming. Human beings have to learn to hunt, learn to work together and learn to create things. The more inclined a person is to be cooperative, the more likely they will learn.

Human beings aren't born noble; they have to learn to be noble. They aren't born ethical; they have to learn to be ethical. We are like very powerful computers without software. We acquire the software from our mentors, our peers and society. In short, our culture.

Look at the diffences between human beings all over the world. Geneticaly, we're all almost identical. Our differences are cultural differences, and those differences are learned behaviors.

I think that sounds right for the most part. Certain primal instincts come to us through DNA and evolution.

When I read the ethical frameworks developed in the great religious and philosophical texts of human history, their sophistication, their metaphysical insight, their contemplation of universal or scared imperatives is just not something I see a chipmunk or a Cro-magnon caveman doing.

Back