A Theology Question

It's really bad Christian theology to claim that one can lie, deceive, hate as much as they want because they get a pass for having faith in Jesus.

Even Martin Luther and John Calvin thought a Christian life had to be a pursuit of moral righteousness, and unrepentant or relentless moral corruption could be a sign your faith in Jesus is false.

Yet another name drop!
But Martin Luther and Calvin had faith in the Jesus you mock!

It's pretty insulting to Jesus to have such people claim to be His followers. Don't know what they preach in their churches these days. But when we were attending church and Sunday School without fail, we were taught that we all sin, but Jesus will forgive you if you are truly sorry and ask Him to. That was predicated upon resolving to not repeat those sins. One of my brothers complained once about having to come up with new ones. lol

"Insult to Jesus"??? Who does Pagans say Jesus is?

I worry about that every single day.

According to the Bible I am saved but it doesn’t always feel like that and I know it’s Satan playing on my fears but I constantly worry if I am doing something wrong.

No it's not Satan! It's the endless battle between your saved Spirit and sin infected flesh!
"The Spirit is willing but the Flesh is weak"!

It sounds as if Cypress is from one of the Eastern variants of Christianity which doesn't necessarily hold to the Nicene Creed. I simply assumed because he's so well read, especially on various faiths, that he realized that Protestants and Catholics do.

His claim that Jesus never made the claim to be homoousious with God is reasonable enough, but as others have noted the Gospel of John kind of makes the case for the Trinity (one can debate the veracity of the Johannine Comma).

Cypress has no beliefs if pressed he name drops others beliefs

Why do you equate a pack of dogs with human morality, Perry? Like most animals, their behavior is largely instinctual. Humans are not. Our forebrains allow us to choose. Well, some of us. The smarter ones and the sane ones.

Ants and bees have very sophisticated social framework. Are they moral? Or only reacting to biological programming?

I didn't even know this was open to debate. Humans were given the cognition to make choices and improve our art, our technology, our vision of an ethical human life.

There is no pack of dogs, no squirrel colony, and no tribe of Cro-magnon man who thought this deeply and abstractly about ethical perfection-->

Bhagavad-Gita, chapter 16

Fearlessness, purity of being, knowledge, generosity, discipline, sacrifice, sacred study, austerity, honesty, non-harm, truth, non-anger, letting go, peace, non-slander, kindness to living things, non-greed, gentleness, modesty, non-caprice, energy, forgiveness, resolve, cleanliness, non-aggression, non-arrogance -- those exist in one born to godly assets.

I was reading the Zhuangzi today, and I don't think a wolfpack or prairie dog colony would come up with this kind of a sophisticated metaphysical ethical vision either.

In Zhuangzi's view, humans who have freed themselves from the slavery of conventional standards of judgement and desire can no longer be made to suffer. Poverty isn't anymore desirable than affluence, life isn't any more desirable than death. But to withdraw from the world would render a judgement on the world. So the Daoist remains within society but refrains from acting out of motives that lead conventional humans to struggle for wealth, fame, reputation, success, security. He maintains a course of action that is not purposefully motivated by any gain or reward. In such a state human action becomes spontaneous and effortless. Humans become one with heaven, and merge with the Dao.

I didn't even know this was open to debate. Humans were given the cognition to make choices and improve our art, our technology, our vision of an ethical human life....

Neither Perry nor Mason are here to debate anything. Both are 100% certain they are 100% correct and that they are each 100% sane.

I didn't even know this was open to debate. Humans were given the cognition to make choices and improve our art, our technology, our vision of an ethical human life.

There is no pack of dogs, no squirrel colony, and no tribe of Cro-magnon man who thought this deeply and abstractly about ethical perfection-->

I was reading the Zhuangzi today, and I don't think a wolfpack or prairie dog colony would come up with this kind of a sophisticated metaphysical ethical vision either.

In Zhuangzi's view, humans who have freed themselves from the slavery of conventional standards of judgement and desire can no longer be made to suffer. Poverty isn't anymore desirable than affluence, life isn't any more desirable than death. But to withdraw from the world would render a judgement on the world. So the Daoist remains within society but refrains from acting out of motives that lead conventional humans to struggle for wealth, fame, reputation, success, security. He maintains a course of action that is not purposefully motivated by any gain or reward. In such a state human action becomes spontaneous and effortless. Humans become one with heaven, and merge with the Dao.

What does Cypress believe?

Neither Perry nor Mason are here to debate anything. Both are 100% certain they are 100% correct and that they are each 100% sane.

People are free to believe sophisticated human visions of ethical perfection are no different than the ethics of cow herds or chipmunk colonies.

But I don't have to give them credibility or credence either

People are free to believe sophisticated human visions of ethical perfection are no different than the ethics of cow herds or chipmunk colonies.

Dutch is right! That's what happens when it's been proved to you without a shadow of a doubt ,Jesus is YHWH,YHWH is the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is Jesus!
When it's not Blind Faith,but Revelational inspired Faith!

Chipmunks are solitary and only form small groups during breeding season, they do not live in colonies

My understanding is that the eastern christian churches do not. That may explain why Cypress is so unfamiliar with what the majority of Protestants and Catholics believe. Given his broad reading of many different religions I thought he knew.

Doubt if it matters. Reciting a creed from rote memory doesn't mean that the reciter truly understands and believes it. For a lot of people it's just what you say in church.

Back