Alabama or OSU?

The number of conference games means something. But not as much as you are claiming.

Alabama played 3 conference games against teams with losing records. Vandy, Arkansas, and TN. They ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, and 4-8 respectively.

Ohio State played 5 conference games against teams with losing records. Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois. Those teams ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, 4-8, 4-8, and 2-10, respectively.

So you will excuse me if I don't act too impressed over their scheduling an extra 4-8 team and a 2-10 team.

In fact, Ohio State played 6 teams that ended up with a losing record. Alabama only played 4 teams with losing records.

Conference games are just harder because there is more familiarity. There is a reason that the SEC sticks with 8 conference games and idiots like the Pac 12 play nine (and then of course the CCG). It is advantageous to play less.

The number of conference games means something. But not as much as you are claiming.

Alabama played 3 conference games against teams with losing records. Vandy, Arkansas, and TN. They ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, and 4-8 respectively.

Ohio State played 5 conference games against teams with losing records. Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois. Those teams ended the season with records of 5-7, 4-8, 4-8, 4-8, and 2-10, respectively.

So you will excuse me if I don't act too impressed over their scheduling an extra 4-8 team and a 2-10 team.

In fact, Ohio State played 6 teams that ended up with a losing record. Alabama only played 4 teams with losing records.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Conference games are just harder because there is more familiarity. There is a reason that the SEC sticks with 8 conference games and idiots like the Pac 12 play nine (and then of course the CCG). It is advantageous to play less.

Familiarity doesn't seem to have helped the bottom end of the teams OSU played. 4 of the teams they played (Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois) have sucked for years.

Both Maryland and Rutgers have had only 5 winning seasons out of the last 10. Half of the last decade they have lost more than they won.

But Indiana and Illinois would probably kill for that record. Illinois has only had 2 winning seasons in the last 10 years. And those were both 7-6 seasons. And Indiana? One of the conference games you put so much stock in? Has quite a streak going. 2017 marks the 10th consecutive losing season for the Hoosiers. They have lost 65% of their games over the last decade.

Familiarity doesn't seem to have helped the bottom end of the teams OSU played. 4 of the teams they played (Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois) have sucked for years.

Both Maryland and Rutgers have had only 5 winning seasons out of the last 10. Half of the last decade they have lost more than they won.

But Indiana and Illinois would probably kill for that record. Illinois has only had 2 winning seasons in the last 10 years. And those were both 7-6 seasons. And Indiana? One of the conference games you put so much stock in? Has quite a streak going. 2017 marks the 10th consecutive losing season for the Hoosiers. They have lost 65% of their games over the last decade.

There's a big difference between having the 12th game a team plays be a conference game or against a D II school.

The SEC is smart the way they schedule. We are stupid.

Last year Ohio State was given the benefit of and they got buried by Clemson,I think that was part of it

Last year they created the precedent that you don't have to win your conference to get in the playoffs.

This year they avoided setting the precedent that a 2 loss team can get in when there are 1 loss teams in the rankings.

I have a old girlfriend lives in Ohio,she is a huge OSU fan.
Must be breaking her heart.
Hope she doesn't do something to herself��

Last year they created the precedent that you don't have to win your conference to get in the playoffs.

This year they avoided setting the precedent that a 2 loss team can get in when there are 1 loss teams in the rankings.
i can see the logic of choosing bama. They'll be very dangerous in the playoff.

Thanks a lot, Buckeye nation. You jerks just let Alabubba back into the playoffs...

Knowing your fondness for Alabama, this should be a fun fact for you, 3D.

Of the 4 head coaches in the playoffs, 3 of them have National Championship rings via their time at Alabama.

Bama's signature win was against LSU, same as Troy and Mss. State . Didn't win their div. in the conference.
OSU won their conference which was toughest in CF this year.

Choosing bama would put two from SEC and ignoring champions from two of the power five conferences.
I think it's a no brainer.

Alabama has ZERO wins against any team currently in the top 15 and their only loss was to a team that is highly ranked. OSU won their conference and beat some notable teams. Alabama couldn't win their division.

Back