Alexis de Tocqueville: Democracy and Christianity

yeah, I don't agree with him. Otherwise, he had a good understanding of our nation.

I can sort of see what he is thinking. Of the major world religions, Christianity as practiced in the west may have provided the most fertile ground for democracy to emerge. Given the presumption of spritual equality, and Martin Luther's preisthood of all believers individualism. Hinduism had a rigourous caste system, Confucianism was concerned with creating a well-ordered hierarchical society, Buddhism was concerned with the transcendent not this world, Islam had never demostrated democratic disposotions.

I can sort of see what he is thinking. Of the major world religions, Christianity as practiced in the west may have provided the most fertile ground for democracy to emerge. Given the presumption of spritual equality, and Martin Luther's preisthood of all believers individualism. Hinduism had a rigourous caste system, Confucianism was concerned with creating a well-ordered hierarchical society, Buddhism was concerned with the transcendent not this world, Islam had never demostrated democratic disposotions.

Christianity is a parasite on democracy.

Christians think their superior moral order allows them to kill cops in the attempt to take over government.

They operate under 'God's Law'. The US Constitution is 'Man's Law'. They have no problem worshipping their Messiah, Trump. And stepping on the Constitution, foundation of Democracy.

Good point.

As Nietzsche said, the last Christian died on the cross.

Probably.

I have to go to the Store. Have fun discussing 'Christians' with Cypress. He sees nothing wrong in believing in a Man-God. And that after it dies ... it came back to Life ... and flew off into outer space.

Probably.

I have to go to the Store. Have fun discussing 'Christians' with Cypress. He sees nothing wrong in believing in a Man-God. And that after it dies ... it came back to Life ... and flew off into outer space.

Makes sense. Nothing is more obvious than dying and not being dead.

Hitler was not religious in the least, and neither were the Nazis.

Theocratic regimes in the middle east and medieval Spain were obvious examples of corruption and authoritarianism.

The great atheist states of the 20th century were particularly an anathema to democracy: USSR, Maoist China, Eastern bloc communist states.

I don't think Christianity teaches distrust of government. I think that comes from a long history of corruption and authoritarian government regimes and also the cynical nature of humans.

In the U. S. a majority began to distrust government in the mid-1960's when religion began declining as an influence.

I don't think Christianity teaches distrust of government. I think that comes from a long history of corruption and authoritarian government regimes and also the cynical nature of humans.

In the U. S. a majority began to distrust government in the mid-1960's when religion began declining as an influence.

Mainstream Protestant churches teach that God's law is higher than man's law.

Back