Alexis de Tocqueville: Democracy and Christianity

Right. And you proved me correct.

Then you were agreeing with me. Refusing to commit immoral acts ordered by the government is better than committing those acts even if it means defying the government. Religious beliefs led to more moral actions than government orders.

Then you were agreeing with me. Refusing to commit immoral acts ordered by the government is better than committing those acts even if it means defying the government. Religious beliefs led to more moral actions than government orders.

You proved only that some people object to government telling them to wear or not wear religious garments and other trivialities. Nothing to do with morality.

I cannot say I know anything about how distrust of the government tracks with Christianity.

I was not suggesting distrust of government tracks with Christianity in general. I was just giving one example of those two things going in opposite directions.

I don't generally believe societal trends can be explained by any other events---crime, gun control, teen birth rate, divorce, trust in government.

For example, crime rates went up and down despite changes in gun laws and other factors.

You proved only that some people object to government telling them to wear or not wear religious garments and other trivialities. Nothing to do with morality.

Murdering Jews, killing Indians, etc. are not trivialities to most people. If anyone refused to commit those acts for religious (or moral) grounds it is distrust of government according to your definition; but, it is certainly one which is admirable and a higher moral plane than obeying government.

Murdering Jews, killing Indians, etc. are not trivialities to most people. If anyone refused to commit those acts for religious (or moral) grounds it is distrust of government according to your definition; but, it is certainly one which is admirable and a higher moral plane than obeying government.

Sorry, I truly have no idea what you're talking about. I lost the point.

Sorry, I truly have no idea what you're talking about. I lost the point.

I'm talking about historical examples of immoral acts that came from government policy. You originally said Christianity promotes distrust of government. My point is that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is immoral to kill an innocent person but not immoral to disobey government.

And, refusing to commit immoral acts ordered by the government do not have to be based on religion. If I refuse to commit government ordered immoral acts for moral (but not religious) reasons that makes an atheist just as likely to distrust government as Christians.

I'm talking about historical examples of immoral acts that came from government policy. You originally said Christianity promotes distrust of government. My point is that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is immoral to kill an innocent person but not immoral to disobey government.

And, refusing to commit immoral acts ordered by the government do not have to be based on religion. If I refuse to commit government ordered immoral acts for moral (but not religious) reasons that makes an atheist just as likely to distrust government as Christians.

Then, religion is useless. Just self-righteous pontificators.

Back