Alexis de Tocqueville: Democracy and Christianity

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Christian Fascists just attempted a coup. I find it odd you supporting them.

Tocqueville is undoubtedly speaking the nexus of democracy and Christians principles/theology, not mobs of politically motivated criminal insurrectionists.

Traditional Confucianism, Islam, and Hinduism do strike me as fertile ground for democracy and breeding grounds for individualism.

Mainstream Protestant churches teach that God's law is higher than man's law.

That is not the same as distrust of government. Should you follow moral principles or the government if it asked you to commit an immoral act?

It also teaches "render unto Caesar.."

I don't think Christianity teaches distrust of government. I think that comes from a long history of corruption and authoritarian government regimes and also the cynical nature of humans.

In the U. S. a majority began to distrust government in the mid-1960's when religion began declining as an influence.

I cannot say I know anything about how distrust of the government tracks with Christianity.

The west has a unique history, where democracy and modern capitalism first emerged in the world.

I am reasonably sure that would not have happened if the West happened to be a Confucian, Hindi, or Islamic civilization.

But that is not necessarily a bad thing. If you refuse to commit an immoral act ordered by the government because it is against your religious views religion is serving as a positive in society.

What immoral act is the government commanding anyone to do?!

Whatever. Now answer my question. What immoral act did the US government command people to do which was refused based on religion.

I listed several immoral acts. I do not know anybody specifically refused to commit those acts based on religion.

Many states had (still have) laws requiring school students to stand and salute the flag. Jehovah's Witnesses think that is putting country before God and refuse to do so and were punished. The Supreme Court ruled they could be exempt from the pledge.

Amish are exempted from mandatory education past the age of 14 and paying Social Security. Etc.

Back