AMA Joins APA as Queer Lobbyists

if queer is perjorative....then why do we have tv shows like:

queer eye for the straight guy

it was a hit and i don't recall anyone complaining about the title

there is this one as well....

queer as folk

strange how nobody ever said anything about those titles....

if queer is perjorative....then why do we have tv shows like:

queer eye for the straight guy

it was a hit and i don't recall anyone complaining about the title

there is this one as well....

queer as folk

strange how nobody ever said anything about those titles....
Yeah, and the music group NWA (N*ggers With Attitude) doesn't suddenly bring up a bunch of complaints either...

Those shows, and that group, are an example of people taking the pejorative word to try to reduce its power.

Yeah, and the music group NWA (N*ggers With Attitude) doesn't suddenly bring up a bunch of complaints either...

Those shows, and that group, are an example of people taking the pejorative word to try to reduce its power.

Which means that its no longer a pejorative.

Which means that its no longer a pejorative.

Yes it is. The words, when used by those trying to own them, are meant as flattering or as an insider's way of addressing each other.

But the words can still be used to hurt and in a derogatory manner.

I think that word still is. That analogy was piss-poor.
Yet it is an example, exactly what you asked for.

This is the same. Were you using it in a manner that wasn't deliberately negative, I likely wouldn't have changed your title.

In the same manner, if you went into San Francisco and started shouting "queer" in such a negative context I think you would have the same problem as you would in Harlem in the previous example.

Yet it is an example, exactly what you asked for.

This is the same. Were you using it in a manner that wasn't meant to "hurt", I likely wouldn't have changed your title.

In the same manner, if you went into San Francisco and started shouting "queer" in such a negative manner I think you would have the same problem as you would in Harlem in the previous example.

An example yes, but a poor one.

I'm not shouting "queer", simply using it in a title. For convenience. :)

An example yes, but a poor one.

I'm not shouting "queer", simply using it in a title. For convenience. :)
You used it negatively for a purpose, yes. It wasn't convenience.

It really is moot though, the title is changed for the reason stated. If you don't like it you can always post threads like this elsewhere on the site so that you won't feel all hurty inside when the title is changed.

You used it negatively for a purpose, yes. It wasn't convenience.

It really is moot though, the title is changed for the reason stated. If you don't like it you can always post threads like this elsewhere on the site so that you won't feel all hurty inside when the title is changed.
Why would I "feel a hurty" when you become the board Nazi? It simply highlights your prejudices.

Why would I "feel a hurty" when you become the board Nazi? It simply highlights your prejudices.
I don't know, but you do seem to be crying a lot about it so I did note that it made you feel all hurty. In the future I won't change a bit.

And it did open up an interesting conversation on pejoratives.

"Queer" is like the word "nigger", in that it has been adopted by some groups in order to own it, but is still used in a demeaning way by many others.

Then I say we get to take back the word gay for its original meaning and let's just call them what they are, homosexual! Homosexuality, no matter what else is thought of, felt by, or projected as; is a deviant sexual act...meaning not the norm! They are not being gay when they push turds they are being sexually deviant ...no big deal, but let's talk about it in REAL terms since words like "queer" are so fucking difficult for the PC crowd!

Back