America the shoot-iful

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
FN-D_5629.jpg

Are you too weak to use the weapon without a bipod, drunkard?

A pit bull had mauled a 3-year-old boy and was biting the youngster's mother when a passing motorist stopped to see what was going on. Corey Kelley said that at first he thought Shonda Busby was playing with the dog in the family's rural yard in Chatom, Ala. He turned his truck around for another look and saw blood. "The closer I got to her, I could see the blood and bite marks on her arms. I pulled up and said, Are you alive?' She said, 'Yes, get this dog off me. He's biting me; he's killing me.'" Kelley quickly drove home, called 911 and grabbed his .22caliber rifle. Unaware that Busby was shielding her 3-year-old, her rescuer said he drove as close as he could, about 8 feet away. From his truck, he aimed at the dog and told Busby to lie as still as she could. "Shoot!" she told him. Kelly's mortal shot hit the animal between the eyes. When Busby sat up, Kelley saw the little boy; his scalp was torn and there were bite marks all over his body. Following the tragedy, the child was treated at Children's Hospital and was in fair condition. His mother required surgery. Kelley said he did not feel like a hero. "I'd do it again in a heartbeat," he said. "I'm just an old country boy. Helping people is just something I like doing."

A man came looking for some easy money from what he thought was an easy target, but left empty-handed. The clerk at the convenience store in Colbert Heights, Ala., recounts that he arrived for work at 5:20 a.m. and noticed someone in a car outside. Shortly thereafter, the man in the car entered the store and got a drink from the cooler. When he approached the counter, he produced a large knife and demanded all the money in the cash register. The clerk, in return, produced his gun and asked, "Do you want this or the money?" The robber fled the store, but was later apprehended and charged with first-degree robbery.

An unwitting Shelby County, Ala., homeowner unknowingly helped in the capture of four inmates who had escaped from a Georgia prison. When the citizen arrived home early one morning, he found four men attempting to rob his house. The homeowner retrieved his gun and fired, hitting one in the face. The men fled but dropped off their injured conspirator at a nearby store so that he could get medical attention. Shortly thereafter, the three other men were apprehended in the area without incident. The homeowner was not charged, according to the local district attorney, because, "If we as a society ever get to the point where people are not entitled to defend themselves in their own home, then the law has totally lost its perspective."

Cody Light of Arab, Alabama, claimed that all he wanted was some cigarettes, but he got more than he bargained for when he broke into his neighbor's car. The owner, hearing strange noises, stepped outside her house to investigate. Upon seeing a man rummaging through her car, the woman ran back into her house and retrieved a handgun, which she brought outside. Light ran away, but was apprehended shortly thereafter, following a brief struggle with police. The man was charged with burglary and resisting arrest.

Back