An argument about the ineffectiveness of legal gun control

Life in a free society will never be safe.

true.

Liberty has it's price from various angles. Even the limited liberty we have.
security has it's price as well in reduced liberty.
I go for a balance. Yin and yang. I just do not want someone to shoot my yang.

The guy at VAtech was severely mentally ill. He should've never been able to get a gun.

They say that gun shows couldn't survive if they put background checks in place. I say, so be it. Life is more important than your little hobby.

Luckily you don't get to make that choice for the nation.

And I have seen the reports that the VaTech murderer was mentally ill, but who would be responsible for reporting him to the federal authorities for inclusion in the background check database?

And what mental illnesses would you suggest cause being included in the database?

Luckily you don't get to make that choice for the nation.

And I have seen the reports that the VaTech murderer was mentally ill, but who would be responsible for reporting him to the federal authorities for inclusion in the background check database?

And what mental illnesses would you suggest cause being included in the database?

voting for bush in 2004 ?

Actually I feel that anyone who is involuntarially confined under the Backer act should have their gun priviledges at least temoporarially suspended. becuase by definition they are considered a threat to themselves or others.

Was it people scrambling to "protect their family", or the rioters on the street trying to buy the guns?

these were people in upscale neighborhoods that bordered downtown LA. When they heard that the violence was spreading in their direction, they bolted for gunstores only to be informed that they would not be getting any guns that day.

of course and giving your firstborn to the military is not either.

Just part of the price of living in paradise.
My first born volunteered, as did I.

But if you're implying a military draft, or any other type of forced federal service is a bad thing, I agree with you.

But the point is license of ANY kind for a constitutional right, if it costs the citizen even a penny per decade, is wrong. Requiring license fees for firearms is every bit as wrong a poll taxes are.

Really? So I guess a minimum poll tax is not an unfair burden to voters.

For a while poll taxes were considered perfectly legitimate pursuant to the Constitution. It took a constitutional amendment to ban the poll tax for good.

All rights are subject to reasonable regulations. Just like protesters oftentimes oftentimes have to pay a fee to exercise their right of peaceable assembly, requiring gun owners to pay a fee is constitutionally kosher.

For a while poll taxes were considered perfectly legitimate pursuant to the Constitution. It took a constitutional amendment to ban the poll tax for good.

All rights are subject to reasonable regulations. Just like protesters oftentimes oftentimes have to pay a fee to exercise their right of peaceable assembly, requiring gun owners to pay a fee is constitutionally kosher.

murdock v. commonwealth of PA.

"A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right protected by the federal constitution."

Back