An Irresponsible Media

I can see a "Hollywood Access" type show harping on this, but the mainstream media should be above it. Let people grab the Enquirer or NY Times if they want to read trashy journalism. The mainstream should stick to the real news. They wonder why they keep losing viewers/readers. It is because they are catering to the morons in society who are obsessed with shit like this.

Nice simplistic view, but you're wrong. I guarantee you that when they check ratings, it's stories like this one that get more hits/viewership than most hard news.

Do you consider Fox as doing well? They are the KING of sensationalistic, Hollywood-based stories. They made a living off Natalee Holloway alone for a year.

My second year in law school I worked in our schools legal clinic. I represented a young woman from Kinshasha whose father had sent her to school in the US at the University of Kansas. He was a construction equipment company owner who had several contracts with the Zaire government. One day her aunt called her and told her that her parents house had been burned and that her family was missing. Shortly thereafter the tuition money stopped coming. When that happened her Student visa was revoked and she was ordered to voluntarily return home or face deportation. We fileda petition for political asylum based on the fact that her mother father and 5 siblings were killed or disappeared and that she would face the same fate if forced to return. The US government found that she was not part of a group that was in danger by living in Zaire. We appealed that decision and lost the appeal as well. In January of 1997 I drove her to the Kansas City Airport and placed her on an airplane that would take her to Chicago and then ultimately to Kinshasa. I told her to call her Aunt who was married to a man in Switzerland so that I could find out if she was ok and if the Swiss Government was going to allow her to live with her aunt. She made one phone call to her aunt and then was never heard from again. The really sad thing is that I can't remember her name anymore.

Damn. Something like that.... no coverage. But hey, some actor dies and stop the presses! We must inundate you with 4 weeks of remembering "celebritry x".

Yeah much more important to know that someone overdosed on prescription meds than about the murders going on in the Democratic Republic of Congo

My second year in law school I worked in our schools legal clinic. I represented a young woman from Kinshasha whose father had sent her to school in the US at the University of Kansas. He was a construction equipment company owner who had several contracts with the Zaire government. One day her aunt called her and told her that her parents house had been burned and that her family was missing. Shortly thereafter the tuition money stopped coming. When that happened her Student visa was revoked and she was ordered to voluntarily return home or face deportation. We fileda petition for political asylum based on the fact that her mother father and 5 siblings were killed or disappeared and that she would face the same fate if forced to return. The US government found that she was not part of a group that was in danger by living in Zaire. We appealed that decision and lost the appeal as well. In January of 1997 I drove her to the Kansas City Airport and placed her on an airplane that would take her to Chicago and then ultimately to Kinshasa. I told her to call her Aunt who was married to a man in Switzerland so that I could find out if she was ok and if the Swiss Government was going to allow her to live with her aunt. She made one phone call to her aunt and then was never heard from again. The really sad thing is that I can't remember her name anymore.

OMG. That's horrible.

Yeah, our government treats asylum seekers like shit. People who want to "crack down" on asylum seekers are disgusting pieces of shit. Who knows how many innocent people have died just so that we don't have to share air with brown people.

OMG. That's horrible.
It was so horrible that I still have a hard time writing about it. I cannot talk about it with breaking down. Every time I read about the DRC it dredges up the whole thing. I carry a great deal of sadness from that event. Had I not been married at the time I would have committed a fraud to keep her from leaving.

Yeah, our government treats asylum seekers like shit. People who want to "crack down" on asylum seekers are disgusting pieces of shit. Who knows how many innocent people have died just so that we don't have to share air with brown people.

Asylum seekers do the jobs illegal immigrants won't do.

Do you even know where Kinshasa is? Somehow I doubt there are too many "brown people" in the Congo. Goofball.

It was so horrible that I still have a hard time writing about it. I cannot talk about it with breaking down. Every time I read about the DRC it dredges up the whole thing. I carry a great deal of sadness from that event. Had I not been married at the time I would have committed a fraud to keep her from leaving.

You know, how could you deny people with a legitimate fear of being murdered a safe place? The Asshats of the world defy all reasonable logic.

Australia has a PRISON CAMP where it keeps asylum seekers. Right after the Liberal government built it they shot up dramatically in the polls. It's one of the biggest cases of mans inhumanity to man I know of. Asylum seekers, IMHO, shouldn't be sent back, at all.

Wow. I can't imagine carrying around that kind guilt and sadness. At least you did your best to work within the system.

You know, how could you deny people with a legitimate fear of being murdered a safe place? The Asshats of the world defy all reasonable logic.

Australia has a PRISON CAMP where it keeps asylum seekers. Right after the Liberal government built it they shot up dramatically in the polls. It's one of the biggest cases of mans inhumanity to man I know of. Asylum seekers, IMHO, shouldn't be sent back, at all.

I said Asylum Seekers do the jobs illegal immigrants won't do. That makes me on the right side, dumbass.

Frankly, it's hard to blame the media for this. The media reflects the culture. We are a celebrity & fame-obsessed culture, and very shallow. They cater to that, because it is more profitable.

I hate to say it, but I agree with this.

I posted stuff previously on the congo civil war on this board, and they barely got any responses.

But, put a Brad Pitt thread up, and there will be 50 responses.

We're all kind of to blame - myself included. :(

I hate to say it, but I agree with this.

I posted stuff previously on the congo civil war on this board, and they barely got any responses.

But, put a Brad Pitt thread up, and there will be 50 responses.

We're all kind of to blame - myself included. :(

Well, there are a few ways of looking at it. Yes, we're a shallow culture right now, and there are a lot of things about the culture that concern me (though I do not think I would qualify as a "culture warrior").

However, there is a lot to be said for wanting to "zone out." I probably watch more political shows & news than is good for me, but when my brain is full, and I've had it with Iraq, and Bush, and Hillary/Obama, and the myriad of problems in the world, I'm as guilty of turning on "Celebrity rehab" & "Fabulous life of the Hiltons" as anyone.

Well, there are a few ways of looking at it. Yes, we're a shallow culture right now, and there are a lot of things about the culture that concern me (though I do not think I would qualify as a "culture warrior").

However, there is a lot to be said for wanting to "zone out." I probably watch more political shows & news than is good for me, but when my brain is full, and I've had it with Iraq, and Bush, and Hillary/Obama, and the myriad of problems in the world, I'm as guilty of turning on "Celebrity rehab" & "Fabulous life of the Hiltons" as anyone.

You need to get into the news behind the news.

Get real.

www.prisonplanet.com

Personally speaking after the '04 elections I suffered a severe case of outrage fatigue. Trash TV was my only escape.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30624

Dude, I can be as shallow as they come, myself. :D

But, I ain't impressed with your frivolous Televsion schedule. Not at all - because I know what LadyT watches, and she's the Queen of frivolous entertainment.

:pke:

Dude, I can be as shallow as they come, myself. :D

But, I ain't impressed with your frivolous Televsion schedule. Not at all - because I know what LadyT watches, and she's the Queen of frivolous entertainment.

:pke:

Trash TV Cypress.....trash TV

Back