Are values purely subjective?

Some values are not subjective.

Keeping your promises is a universal value accepted in all major cultures I know of on the planet. That's what makes them universal.

It's a standard everyone is expected to aspire to.

The reason no one proudly admits they don't keep their promises is because they are fully aware they are practicing social deviancy -- not simply just another perfectly justifiable alternative ethical system.

Which values are not subjective? Does this apply to morals as well?

I'd have to see the arguments that justify that

What is a subject? A person. What is subjective? How a person sees or judges the world.

Do objects speak or make judgment?

These are fairly meaningless terms. Comes from notion that only science is objective.

Lying, cheating, breaking your promises, abusing small children, stealing, courage, humility, temperance, charity, etc.

Trump had to set up a fake charity, not because he personally believes in altruism and sharing, but because he knows they are social norms people are expected to shoot for. Trump is a social deviant, and he knows he has to concoct fake charitable foundations to obscure that fact.

No, values are a choice but there is a hierarchy, and some are more in tune with reality than others.

You get to chose what you care about, and I get to judge you based upon your choices.

You owe the board your eye teeth.

You made the wager.

Hopefully that teaches you the valuable lesson of never betting on yourself if you're also a loser.

No, values are a choice but there is a hierarchy, and some are more in tune with reality than others.

You get to chose what you care about, and I get to judge you based upon your choices.

You can choose to cheat on your wife, lie to your business partners, or burn your child with cigarettes.

But that doesn't make it just an alternative ethical code.

It makes you a social deviant, flagrantly violating universal ethical norms.

You can choose to cheat on your wife, lie to your business partners, or burn your child with cigarettes.

But that doesn't make it just an alternative ethical code.

It makes you a social deviant, flagrantly violating universal ethical norms.

I am a deviant because I insist upon telling the truth.

Violating the norms of the herd is often the correct thing to do, is always the right thing to do during dark ages such as this.

I am a deviant because I insist upon telling the truth.

Violating the norms of the herd is often the correct thing to do, is always the right thing to do during dark ages such as this.

So you don't deny my statement that there are absolute standards of right and wrong: lying to your business partners, routinely breaking promises, burning your child with cigarettes.

The postmodernists started their project of moral relativism in the early 20th century, but I think it ran out of gas and I'm surprised anyone still subscribes to a program of strict moral relativism.

So you don't deny my statement that there are absolute standards of right and wrong: lying to your business partners, routinely breaking promises, burning your child with cigarettes.

The postmodernists started their project of moral relativism in the early 20th century, but I think it ran out of gas and I'm surprised anyone still subscribes to a program of strict moral relativism.

Postmodernists were not moral relativists. Only people who never read them say that.

If people don't like the sunset and you do, does that make them wrong?

I don't think you need to get every single person on the planet to agree on the beauty of an extraordinary sunset. Seven billion people are a lot.
I am reasonably confident that if you surveyed a thousand mentally stable adults, at least 997 would say that was an extraordinary sunset. Statistically, that's basically universal agreement, or as close as it gets.

I don't think you need to get every single person on the planet to agree on the beauty of an extraordinary sunset. Seven billion people are a lot.
I am reasonably confident that if you surveyed a thousand mentally stable adults, at least 997 would say that was an extraordinary sunset. Statistically, that's basically universal agreement, or as close as it gets.

So you like sunsets, got it.

Postmodernists were not moral relativists. Only people who never read them say that.

Jean Paul Sautre

"One of the most famous and well-known moral relativist philosophers of the 20th century was Jean-Paul Sartre, who pioneered the philosophy of existentialism, which essentially asserts that mankind is alone in the universe and we have no morality to turn to except that which we create for ourselves."

https://www.languagehumanities.org/what-is-moral-relativism.htm

Back