Are you a theist or an atheist?

You aren't talking about the USA. An open atheist could never get elected because of people like you who don't understand them and are scared of them.

There's a de facto religious test in the US for higher elected office.

Then you need look no further than the USA where religious zealots have rolled back countless advances. So the US is not a "modern era western democratic government" (your title).

You are an apologist for religious belief with your mealy-mouthed fake agnosticism (don't worry, God isn't offended if that's what you are scared about). People like you allow that sort of thing to exist in society rather than speaking out against it. So you are partially to blame for the lost reproductive freedoms women suffer in this country.

Ironic, no?
Atheists get elected in western democracies.

I accept your tacit confession that the agnostic democratic governments of the modern era - those that don't take a position one way or the other on religion - are the least oppressive governments in human history, and compare extremely favorably to History's examples of theocracy and state atheism

Absolutely!

Both theists and atheists are ruled by their "beliefs"...which is to say, they are ruled by their blind guesses. And both, as you noted, are destructive in so doing.

Dogmatic belief and righteous certainty are probably key ingredients of the transition to totalitarianism.

There are no invisible gnomes in my refrigerator that I know of. If they are invisible, I doubt I would be able to know. My guess would be that there are none.

I hope that answers your question, brave Mr. Si206.

So you believe there's at least a 50/50 shot that they are in there, right? I mean you HAVE to believe that because someone has said they do. I say they do. If you don't believe in them that is just your "blind guess".

So one must believe in the God of an established western religion or be an atheist? Under that def I am an atheist.

Atheists get elected in western democracies.

I accept your tacit confession that the agnostic democratic governments of the modern era - those that don't take a position one way or the other on religion - are the least oppressive governments in human history, and compare extremely favorably to History's examples of theocracy and state atheism

I accept your tacit confession that America is not a modern democracy as you originally defined it being "agnostic" about religion. Just ask any of the nearly 150 million Americans who lost their rights to reproductive choice because it doesn't comport with some people's view of the Bible.

So you believe there's at least a 50/50 shot that they are in there, right? I mean you HAVE to believe that because someone has said they do. I say they do. If you don't believe in them that is just your "blind guess".

I do not have to "believe" anything.

It is my blind guess that there are no invisible gnomes (or invisible anything else) in my refrigerator.

I do not have to "believe" anything.

It is my blind guess that there are no invisible gnomes (or invisible anything else) in my refrigerator.

Life must be very difficult when one cannot reject an unlikely hypothesis without fear of doing a "blind guess". In fact it is the exact opposite of a blind guess.

I accept your tacit confession that America is not a modern democracy as you originally defined it being "agnostic" about religion. Just ask any of the nearly 150 million Americans who lost their rights to reproductive choice because it doesn't comport with some people's view of the Bible.

Name the laws in Canada, United States, and New Zealand that prevent atheists from running for office or expressing their conscience.

Failure to name those laws will be taken as an admission the modern agnostic governments of the west are not as oppressive as theocracy or state atheism.

It doesn't pass the laugh test :laugh: to conflate oppression and coercion in the western democracies with history's examples of theocracy and state atheism.

Do you get to dictate what I must do in JPP?

If not...fuck off.

BP is a troll. This is their "game". It will escalate with time. You want some fun, try AGREEING with BP once in a while...they still lose their shit and will call you names.

The astounding number of times this poster has wished other people a violent death or that they would "kill themselves" makes me think this poster has some serious issues.

(Just wait I'll be called names here very soon.)

Name the laws in Canada, United States, and New Zealand that prevent atheists from running for office or expressing their conscience.

No laws. Just the way the countries are. I doubt it is much of an issue in NZ or CA but it is in the US. Just look at the whole Obama-Super-Secret-Muslim shit we went through in 2008-2016. Even Trump kissed the ring and tried to act like he was a "Christian" (hilariously).

And, again, America just eliminated reproductive choice to women because of some legislators' and voters' view of the Bible.

Life must be very difficult when one cannot reject an unlikely hypothesis without fear of doing a "blind guess".

Life is not difficult for me at all.

I have no idea if there are any kind of invisible (totally undetectable by human senses) entities that exist. And one or more might exist in my desk drawer...or my refrigerator. I simply acknowledge that there are none I can see or detect...which IS THE TRUTH.

You asked. I answered.

In fact it is the exact opposite of a blind guess.

So you are saying that you KNOW there are no things that exist that are undetectable by human senses?

Wow.

You must be special.

Back