Are You Curious About Judaism?

Joebruno

Verified User
Most people know very little about it.

You can get most of your questions answered at a website called Judaism 101.

Jews are a tiny minority. Worldwide there are only 13 million Jews, which represents 0.2% of the population.

Our numbers will remain small because we are forbidden to recruit converts.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Most people know very little about it.

You can get most of your questions answered at a website called Judaism 101.

Jews are a tiny minority. Worldwide there are only 13 million Jews, which represents 0.2% of the population.

Our numbers will remain small because we are forbidden to recruit converts.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

I've known many Jews and - actually - a fair number of converts. I even thought of it myself, briefly. I find yours an odd statement.

I've known many Jews and - actually - a fair number of converts. I even thought of it myself, briefly. I find yours an odd statement.

Judaism accepts converts, but Jewish law forbids us to proselytize. We are not allowed to recruit.

Converting to Judaism is not easy. It involves lots of reading and study and a rabbi must approve of you before you undergo conversion. The rabbi will test your knowledge before he approves you. It generally takes 6 months or more.

Judaism accepts converts, but Jewish law forbids us to proselytize. We are not allowed to recruit.

Converting to Judaism is not easy. It involves lots of reading and study and a rabbi must approve of you before you undergo conversion. The rabbi will test your knowledge before he approves you. It generally takes 6 months or more.

Ta. I knew about the second bit - one of my daughter's Mother-in-Law just converted.

Owl Woman - once upon a time, when I was in the RAF, I decided there was no future here and decided to emigrate to 'Israel'. A Jewish friend said 'No problem - just tell 'em you're Jewish: if you're not an Arab, no problem'. I think that makers it political, probably. I was lucky and met some Palestinians in a pub, learning better! :)

Off Topic...Religions, Philosophym and Ethics...Looks like this is an ok thread to me....right where it belongs.
Not sure why "anyone" is questioning it...

Ta. I knew about the second bit - one of my daughter's Mother-in-Law just converted.

Owl Woman - once upon a time, when I was in the RAF, I decided there was no future here and decided to emigrate to 'Israel'. A Jewish friend said 'No problem - just tell 'em you're Jewish: if you're not an Arab, no problem'. I think that makers it political, probably. I was lucky and met some Palestinians in a pub, learning better! :)

Good point -- how would they know you weren't Jewish, assuming they didn't check out your um, well, er... intact status? lol

What did the Palestinians say that changed your mind?

Good point -- how would they know you weren't Jewish, assuming they didn't check out your um, well, er... intact status? lol

What did the Palestinians say that changed your mind?

They gave me an outline of the way they'd been treated personally and of the political position. As to the little operation, I thought 'What's a foreskin between friends?' but enlightenment intervened! :)

The subject of this section of the forum is religion. Did you miss that?

I did not. I'm curious: If you are forbidden from proselytizing why did you start this thread?

If you stick around long enough, you'll notice by and by that we have several members who despise Israel for political reasons, and some who also despise Jews in general. Antisemitism didn't go away when the Nazis did, for sure.

Back