Attempt to rekindle Domestic Oil Drilling...

All our offshore oil reserves are estimated at a 10-12 year supply at current consumption rates. What do we do after that ?

We don't really know how much oil we have. They have done estimates on what we know of, but even these, are sketchy at best. If you count the shale oil under Oklahoma, we have more more than 60% of all the oil on the planet. (that's an estimate)

It seems liberals have selective hearing on this, all they ever seem to hear is, drill, drill, drill. I have often stated my position, and it starts with drilling because this is the naturally best way to increase supply, which always reduces price. (it's economics) It also includes building more refineries, and this has to be done at the corporate level, not by government. But the part the liberals never hear because they stop listening when you say the word "drill", is aggressive pursuit of alternative fuels and alt-fuel vehicles. We have to perfect something and refine it, and get it on the market in a real way.

Now.... Pie in the Sky Liberals ask, why can't we just skip to the 3rd thing, Dixie? Forget about drilling or refining, just create a new alternative fuel and vehicles to run on it, and that will be the answer to all the problems. The thing is, it won't answer all the problems, and it won't work in the short-term. Any new technology we come up with to replace the automobile in its present form, will take decades to effect the market enough to effect oil consumption. It will take a while to 'phase out' 200 million cars currently on the road, and replace them with new alt-fuel vehicles. If we have taken care of the 'supply-demand' problem, we have this much time. It enables us to focus on research and development, rather than what to do about the strangling oil crisis we will face.

Seems to me we have no choice but to go to alternatives before OIl most ly runs out. As ir gets scarcer the price will rise even more.

I know that will benefit Topspin (if someone has not pinched his head off by then) , but the vast majority will suffer if we have not converted to alternatives.

I don't know about Gold, I do know about these capped wells. As I explained, it is a 'supply and demand' thing. You know what that is, right? You see, when the supply is short, and demand remains high, the price goes up. Higher price means more profit for the oil company, so they keep the capped oil wells capped, so that supply will remain low and demand will make the price rise and profits increase. Not only do they realize increased profits, they also pressure Congress into easing restrictions on areas they previously couldn't drill in, which will mean even more profit in the future. It's really not that complicated.

I think I understand more about Economics than you do.

Yeah, you THINK you do but you don't.

Economic gold, economic oil. Learn the terms, then come back and talk to me.

The BIG idea is to get off dependency on FOREIGN energy sources. By doing so, we will not be as strongly affected by world market prices as we are now.

But to get off foreign dependency, unless we ant to wait 100 years, is going to take massive effort and will require both the development of domestic fossil fuels as rapidly as is possible within reasonable ecological guidelines, AND a full-throttle "before this decade is out" type comprehensive program to develop and instigate use of alternate fuels and energy sources. Even at full throttle, "before the (next) decade is out" is probably an unlikely goal. But the fast and harder we push by using BOTH traditional fossil methods AND new alternates, the better off we will be the next time world prices jump through the roof.

Yeah, you THINK you do but you don't.

Economic gold, economic oil. Learn the terms, then come back and talk to me.

I don't need to learn any terms, and I don't need some half-baked pinhead talking down to me. If you have some point to make, I suggest you make it, otherwise, shut the fuck up and go away. You've not said a damn thing, other than to hurl a few pejoratives my way and act like you have greater intellect than me.

You've not said a damn thing, other than to hurl a few pejoratives my way and act like you have greater intellect than me.

Well, actually I DO have a greater intellect than you; it's not an act. {Psst- your sentence should be corrected to read "other then" and "greater intellect than I."} Did you do that just to help me prove my point? Tailor made!

I don't need to learn any terms

Yes, feel free to continue on in your ignorance. Anyone who knows and understands the two terms can read your post, make the connection, and instantly see that you are an ignorant jackass. From the point of view of those with an IQ of 80, the issue appears as simple as you present. With knowledge and the application of intelligent, your contention is shown to be false. I suggest that you try to get some knowledge; it's as easy as reading a book. However, sadly, the second part will elude you forever.

Last edited:
We don't really know how much oil we have. They have done estimates on what we know of, but even these, are sketchy at best. If you count the shale oil under Oklahoma, we have more more than 60% of all the oil on the planet. (that's an estimate)

It seems liberals have selective hearing on this, all they ever seem to hear is, drill, drill, drill. I have often stated my position, and it starts with drilling because this is the naturally best way to increase supply, which always reduces price. (it's economics) It also includes building more refineries, and this has to be done at the corporate level, not by government. But the part the liberals never hear because they stop listening when you say the word "drill", is aggressive pursuit of alternative fuels and alt-fuel vehicles. We have to perfect something and refine it, and get it on the market in a real way.

Now.... Pie in the Sky Liberals ask, why can't we just skip to the 3rd thing, Dixie? Forget about drilling or refining, just create a new alternative fuel and vehicles to run on it, and that will be the answer to all the problems. The thing is, it won't answer all the problems, and it won't work in the short-term. Any new technology we come up with to replace the automobile in its present form, will take decades to effect the market enough to effect oil consumption. It will take a while to 'phase out' 200 million cars currently on the road, and replace them with new alt-fuel vehicles. If we have taken care of the 'supply-demand' problem, we have this much time. It enables us to focus on research and development, rather than what to do about the strangling oil crisis we will face.

release some of the oil reserves IF supply and demand is all that is causing this mess, that should give temporary relief immediately to us on price....?

release some of the oil reserves IF supply and demand is all that is causing this mess, that should give temporary relief immediately to us on price....?

Noo... can't release the reserve, we won't have a reserve then! The purpose of the reserve, is major, dire straights, end-of-the-world scenario type events, not simple supply shortfall problems. If the middle east blows up in a nuclear holocaust, and we have to have emergency oil to keep things running until we can make other arrangements, that is what the strategic reserve is for. We should probably be putting MORE in the reserve, given the current climate in the region, truth be told.

There are several factors causing the mess. The most pertinent factor is restricted supply, since OPEC has cut production by a huge amount in the past 2 years. This has caused the world market price to soar, which causes high price at the pump. The way to fix that, is increase supply of domestic oil. If it is abundant, the price goes down, it always works with any commodity. Other factors involved in the mess are the oil companies who keep the caps on wells they already have access to, and are just not pumping the oil. One of the reasons for this, is lack of refineries to process the oil into gas. All of these things combine to create the high price at the pumps, including the 40-something cents per gallon we pay in taxes, state, local, and federal.

{Psst- your sentence should be corrected to read "other then" and "greater intellect than I."}

Other then? No, you are mistaken on that one. On the later, I confess, I am not here to display my superior grammatical skills for your critique. As I said, if you have a bee in your bonnet, let's hear about it! Otherwise, you are just a bunch of hot air with nothing to say and no point to make, and you should probably spend your time elsewhere. You are boring me now, so I will ignore you.

Noo... can't release the reserve, we won't have a reserve then! The purpose of the reserve, is major, dire straights, end-of-the-world scenario type events, not simple supply shortfall problems. If the middle east blows up in a nuclear holocaust, and we have to have emergency oil to keep things running until we can make other arrangements, that is what the strategic reserve is for. We should probably be putting MORE in the reserve, given the current climate in the region, truth be told.

There are several factors causing the mess. The most pertinent factor is restricted supply, since OPEC has cut production by a huge amount in the past 2 years. This has caused the world market price to soar, which causes high price at the pump. The way to fix that, is increase supply of domestic oil. If it is abundant, the price goes down, it always works with any commodity. Other factors involved in the mess are the oil companies who keep the caps on wells they already have access to, and are just not pumping the oil. One of the reasons for this, is lack of refineries to process the oil into gas. All of these things combine to create the high price at the pumps, including the 40-something cents per gallon we pay in taxes, state, local, and federal.

HUH? we have released them before and it lowered oil per barrel to $10 bucks for a short time...

It will most certainly lower the price of oil temporarily and when the price of oil drops we start buying the reserves again, refilling the caufers at a lower cost...saving tax payers money all around...?

HUH? we have released them before and it lowered oil per barrel to $10 bucks for a short time...

It will most certainly lower the price of oil temporarily and when the price of oil drops we start buying the reserves again, refilling the caufers at a lower cost...saving tax payers money all around...?

I don't honestly see how we released enough from the strategic reserves to lower the price $10 a barrel, but if that is the case, imagine what hundred's of thousands of newly drilled domestic barrels would do for the price.

I've also heard pinheads mention the speculators, and what do you suppose they would speculate, if we increased domestic supply? That's right kiddies, they would speculate the price of oil is going to drop. And it would.

Releasing part of our strategic reserve is foolish, it will not cause a permanent increase in supply, it is an artificial increase, which may affect price short-term, but it will evaporate almost as fast as the gasoline. We will again be in the same boat, only with no strategic reserves in case of emergency. Not to mention, the sound you'll be hearing will be the Speculators, playing you like a Stradivarius.

they are not releasing reserves, supply and demand is not a strategic crissis especially if turbo-libs aren't willing to drill. This is COMICAL

Back