Attempt to rekindle Domestic Oil Drilling...

releasing the oil reserves is a really bad idea. It will do nothing to improve refinining capacity and thus gas prices will remain where they are. Right now the price of oil is far more likely to shift based on future LONG term oil supply than it is from a known short term band aid.

You want oil to drop?

1) Increase drilling of nat gas and oil domestically so that we quit shipping billions each year to foreign countries AND so that we have greater control of supply.

2) Increase investments in alt energy, wind, solar etc... and use that to replace nat gas electric production and then use the nat gas in more vehicles to reduce gasoline/oil demands.

Neither of these will bring on a replacement in the short term, but BOTH will hammer the long term futures prices of oil and will subsequently reduce the current spot price. Which in turn will drive speculators from bullish to bearish positions on oil.
Super.

I read that if every single drop estimated to come out of our off shore drilling in the moratorium areas is drawn out, it increases the whole world's oil supply by 1 %.....it brings our oil reserves to 3-4% of the world's reserves while we consume 27% of the world's reserves pumped out yearly....

This moratorium drilling puts us in a position where we would only have to import in foreign oil, 65% of our total yearly consumption....

How does this really help us?

WE STILL MUST IMPORT 65% minimum of our oil from FOREIGNERS?

Did you know this....?

it won't help one iota with making us energy dependent.

And it won't add enough to the world's oil supply to affect price, especially with demand increasing from other countries.....

Oil is on a "Global market" isn't it?

In 1995 the republicans in congress also eliminated the Law that was put in place that told the oil companies they had to sell usa gotten oil to Americans first....

So oil companies CAN sell what they retrieve off of our land that they lease, to foreigners first, if they feel like it....that concerns me a bit....

Care

that's bullshit spewed thankfully by the democrattalkingpointsareus.com

Opening up drilling would do a lot more than make us import 65%, try reading from industry experts instead of harry ried freaks like Pelosi.

Opening up drilling would do a lot more than make us import 65%, try reading from industry experts instead of harry ried freaks like Pelosi.

if you think it is bullshit, then prove it toppy! :)

Care

Super.

I read that if every single drop estimated to come out of our off shore drilling in the moratorium areas is drawn out, it increases the whole world's oil supply by 1 %.....it brings our oil reserves to 3-4% of the world's reserves while we consume 27% of the world's reserves pumped out yearly....

This moratorium drilling puts us in a position where we would only have to import in foreign oil, 65% of our total yearly consumption....

How does this really help us?

WE STILL MUST IMPORT 65% minimum of our oil from FOREIGNERS?

Did you know this....?

it won't help one iota with making us energy dependent.

And it won't add enough to the world's oil supply to affect price, especially with demand increasing from other countries.....

Oil is on a "Global market" isn't it?

In 1995 the republicans in congress also eliminated the Law that was put in place that told the oil companies they had to sell usa gotten oil to Americans first....

So oil companies CAN sell what they retrieve off of our land that they lease, to foreigners first, if they feel like it....that concerns me a bit....

Care

Care,

Not sure what your source is, but that is incorrect. As long as oil prices remain above $70, it is economically viable to tap our oil shale, tar sands and deep sea sites. Which is why we should allow the oil companies to tap these sites NOW, while they see the economic benefits and have the current profits to invest in building the sites.

http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresource/forecast/archive/The_U.S._s_Untapped_Bounty_080630.html

This is the most recent information I have seen on potential oil reserves.

I would be interested to read more from your source on the impact of future drill sites.

Care,

Not sure what your source is, but that is incorrect. As long as oil prices remain above $70, it is economically viable to tap our oil shale, tar sands and deep sea sites. Which is why we should allow the oil companies to tap these sites NOW, while they see the economic benefits and have the current profits to invest in building the sites.

http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresource/forecast/archive/The_U.S._s_Untapped_Bounty_080630.html

This is the most recent information I have seen on potential oil reserves.

I would be interested to read more from your source on the impact of future drill sites.

I said offshore drilling in moratorium areas....

Shale takes alot of water from what i have read...drinking water that we do not have to spare....if it were possible to build a pipeline from the ocean and salt water could be used, it might be a different story....and maybe this is the route we should take....

haven't read yur link yet, going in to it now...fyi

care

Shale takes alot of water from what i have read...drinking water that we do not have to spare....if it were possible to build a pipeline from the ocean and salt water could be used, it might be a different story....and maybe this is the route we should take....

care
It is billions into our economy rather than another's, it is billions less we pay to fund both sides of the war.

The real solution to this is to get the nuke facilities up to provide electricity, get places off Natural Gas for that, increasing the supply of natural gas (which can currently run vehicles too) will lower the cost to consumers at home for heating, etc. Use of it for vehicles will reduce the need for the greater supply.

Pretending that only drilling would be done while ignoring all the other things that need to be done is only pretense and is based on that same zero sum game. It is like lefties can't see more than one topic at a time.

If we throw our energy into getting off the foreign oil teat we can do it. The only thing keeping us from doing it is fearmongering and those who wish to jump directly into the next generation without a bridge.

total offshore and us reserves are about a 10-12 yr supply at current consumption levels. That is if we could get it all out in 10 years , which we cannot.

Do you want a nuke plant in your neighborhood Damo ?

Many people say nike, but very darned few want one in their "backyard".

Nor do they want the radioactive waste products.

Do you want a nuke plant in your neighborhood Damo ?

Many people say nike, but very darned few want one in their "backyard".

Nor do they want the radioactive waste products.
As I said, fearmongering. NIMBY issues can arise, but not in the numbers you assume. Many places, like my county, would welcome such a business to decrease the tax burden on homeowners. And we can seek out places who have used this to decrease their foreign sources, and find the ways they are dealing with the waste products.

Another way we can get it done is inform people that it is part of the fight against terrorism. Less NIMBY problems as it becomes patriotic.

As I said, fearmongering. NIMBY issues can arise, but not in the numbers you assume. Many places, like my county, would welcome such a business to decrease the tax burden on homeowners.

well yes decreasing the value of your homes would decrease the tax burden ;)

Want some radioactive waste to go with that ?

niby CAN become an issue ???

Now that is minimalization.

btw you have enough water to cool the sucker ?

well yes decreasing the value of your homes would decrease the tax burden ;)

Want some radioactive waste to go with that ?

niby CAN become an issue ???

Now that is minimalization.

btw you have enough water to cool the sucker ?
Again more fearmongering. It wouldn't decrease the value of the homes and would bring jobs to the county.

care

It does take a good amount of water... about 3-4 barrels per barrell of oil.

On the other hand.... corn takes about 700-1000 barrells of water to produce the energy equivalent of one barrell of oil.

It does take a good amount of water... about 3-4 barrels per barrell of oil.

On the other hand.... corn takes about 700-1000 barrells of water to produce the energy equivalent of one barrell of oil.
Another shot at the fearmongering. I picture an old Bat Man episode. *pow*, *kersplat*.

We could be energy independent in a couple years if democrats would get behind it.
It would be a smart thing to do, It's virtually the only main issue that the public is way in favor of republicans on.

total offshore and us reserves are about a 10-12 yr supply at current consumption levels. That is if we could get it all out in 10 years , which we cannot.

ROFLMAO... so... we have a 10-12 year supply but who cares, because we cannot get it all out in ten years? You are a complete moron.

Who cares if it takes 30 years to get it all out? Say it is a 10 year supply and it takes 30 years to pump it all out... that means 1/3 of our oil demand will be met each year by this source and all that money will stay in the US.

We could be energy independent in a couple years if democrats would get behind it.
It would be a smart thing to do, It's virtually the only main issue that the public is way in favor of republicans on.

In a couple of years ? What you been smoking boy ?
It is not possible.

this has got to be one of the dumbest posts ever for you, and that is saying something.

that's bullshit we will still be finding and developing oil when all of us are dead. USGED is so uneducated on this it's comical.

Back