Ayn Rand and the Invincible Cult of Selfishness on the American Right

Your tax dollars, memeliar? You have an income of $250 K annually?

Must be renting the beach house in Alaska to your idol.

sarah-palin.jpg

Which he is currently back peddaling and juggling on.
But that's not your money, it's everyone's money.

It's everyone's money. Exactly! Everyone chips in. Why not? What makes that so terrible?

I'm reminded of Joe the Plumber's comments that a proposed tax increase would dissuade him from buying a business. The additional tax on earning $275,000 a year compared to $250,000/yr would be an increase of $350/yr.

$350/yr additional tax on an additional $25,000 in earnings. Is it any wonder people voted for Obama? What does it say about a person who becomes outraged over having to pay an additional $350 on an additional income of $25,000? What does that say about the so-called compassion of the Republican Party when they quote such a guy and hold up his point of view as an example of the party's ideals/beliefs?

If that is an outrage, an injustice, could people expect the Republicans to help the less fortunate?

It's everyone's money. Exactly! Everyone chips in. Why not? What makes that so terrible?

I'm reminded of Joe the Plumber's comments that a proposed tax increase would dissuade him from buying a business. The additional tax on earning $275,000 a year compared to $250,000/yr would be an increase of $350/yr.

$350/yr additional tax on an additional $25,000 in earnings. Is it any wonder people voted for Obama? What does it say about a person who becomes outraged over having to pay an additional $350 on an additional income of $25,000? What does that say about the so-called compassion of the Republican Party when they quote such a guy and hold up his point of view as an example of the party's ideals/beliefs?

If that is an outrage, an injustice, could people expect the Republicans to help the less fortunate?

And when the Liberals are voted out of power, how are you going to justify that??:cof1:

just who has the right to ask "everyone" to chip in? and what about people who DON'T work...where will they get this money to chip in? wouldn't that only be fair, EVERYONE chips in?

Last edited:

a lot of Republicans do help the unfortunate via donations to charity's, churches, local groups etc. Your argument is that the government is the best arbitor of how to help people. I would argue otherwise as I don't trust politicians who are only looking out for themselves, i.e. to get re-elected. It's not a matter of being selfish its about what is the optimal delivery of needed services.

just who has the right to ask "everyone" to chip in? and what about people who DON'T work...where will they get this money to chip in? wouldn't that only be fair, EVERYONE chips in?

That's what communities are all about. People helping others. The ones not employed are the ones who need help and that help is offered by the employed ones making sure those who need help have medical coverage.

That's what communities are all about. People helping others. The ones not employed are the ones who need help and that help is offered by the employed ones making sure those who need help have medical coverage.

right, then I will quit my job and let you all take care of me...yipppeeee
I don't live in a communist country yet, thank you

a lot of Republicans do help the unfortunate via donations to charity's, churches, local groups etc. Your argument is that the government is the best arbitor of how to help people. I would argue otherwise as I don't trust politicians who are only looking out for themselves, i.e. to get re-elected. It's not a matter of being selfish its about what is the optimal delivery of needed services.

The problem is local groups have their prejudices. Church members are going to help their members before helping others.

More often than not the one needing help is a society "outcast". Look at the way single mothers were viewed. Left to local charities and local people running them what are the odds the "outcasts" are going to be considered?

That's why governments need to be involved. It is a person's circumstances that should dictate the help they receive and not what organization they belong to or who their friends are.

The problem is local groups have their prejudices. Church members are going to help their members before helping others.

More often than not the one needing help is a society "outcast". Look at the way single mothers were viewed. Left to local charities and local people running them what are the odds the "outcasts" are going to be considered?

That's why governments need to be involved. It is a person's circumstances that should dictate the help they receive and not what organization they belong to or who their friends are.

You think governments don't have prejudices? A politician is going to set up programs to spend money which they believe will best help them get re-elected. That's not to say government has no role to play but the argument that one is more compassionate because they believe government is the best deliverer of services doesn't carry a lot of weight.

right, then I will quit my job and let you all take care of me...yipppeeee

It's strange that people think poverty and welfare is something others choose.

Help is not just handing a person money. Help is medical attention. Counseling. Educational opportunities.

A healthy individual wants to better themselves. When we see a child doing something destructive to themselves, be it bad behavior or refusing to study or not participating in activities with other children, we know there is something wrong. Why would anyone believe a lethargic 16 year old needs guidance but an individual, at 18, is just a lazy adult?

You think governments don't have prejudices? A politician is going to set up programs to spend money which they believe will best help them get re-elected. That's not to say government has no role to play but the argument that one is more compassionate because they believe government is the best deliverer of services doesn't carry a lot of weight.

It's not so much a matter of compassion as it is prejudice. Governments implement plans to help groups of people whereas local charities tend to focus on individuals.

For example, let's say the government implements a program for single mothers to return to school. Every single mother whose circumstances fit the criteria is eligible.

A local charity can decide to send single mothers back to school but without a strict mandate they can deny a certain single mother and give assistance to a member whose house was partially destroyed by fire and who didn't have insurance. They are not obliged to treat everyone the same. That's why we can't depend on local charities, church groups, etc. Favoritism will inevitably enter the picture.

Back