Bad faith of the agnostic

I don't think it matters if this "god" exists at all. An all powerful being that takes attendance at "services" is an absurd notion.

This is a reasonable position. As I noted earlier even if one assumes there was an all-powerful being who created the universe and everything it doesn't then follow that that being would have specific requirements of one tiny little group on one tiny little planet circling one tiny little star on the edge of one of a zillion galaxies.

For me the "contentious part" about religion is the extrapolation of some "requirements" by that being. But, by the same token, it would make sense for someone who needs a "personal God". If there IS such an all-powerful being it makes sense to the believer to want to "please" that being because then that being could "take care of the believer" and protect them.

enjoy your path to hell, establishment shill.

You are playing a very dangerous game. For all you know I could be a 32nd degree Freemason on here specifically TRACKING YOUR ACTIONS. I send in my reports nightly to the Bilderburg Group headquarters.

We'll see how snarky you can be when we enact "PROTOCOL 74B".

A man and woman sit in a cafe and the man reaches over and places his hand on the woman's hand. She neither embraces his hand nor pulls away. Sartre calls this bad faith because she refuses to make a decision.

The agnostic has bad faith in same sense by refusing to decide if god is there or not.
If a person isn't convinced either way, it isn't their fault.

A man and woman sit in a cafe and the man reaches over and places his hand on the woman's hand. She neither embraces his hand nor pulls away. Sartre calls this bad faith because she refuses to make a decision.

The agnostic has bad faith in same sense by refusing to decide if god is there or not.
Disagreed on the woman's reaction since there could be a lot of reasons for her behavior. Fear, insecurity, just got out of a bad relationship, the man is her boss, etc.

Agnosticism is the only logical POV since both atheism and theism require faith in something that lacks evidence to support it.

Disagreed on the woman's reaction since there could be a lot of reasons for her behavior. Fear, insecurity, just got out of a bad relationship, the man is her boss, etc.

Agnosticism is the only logical POV since both atheism and theism require faith in something that lacks evidence to support it.
Problem is, how did we learn about god? If we were in India we would be talking about Shiva.

Problem is, how did we learn about god? If we were in India we would be talking about Shiva.
There have been spiritual beliefs in all human cultures. Usually multiple gods. Monotheism is unique to the West, AFAIK.

So you believe in god, as the Christians define it.
Nope. There isn't convincing evidence of the existence of any gods. That, again, isn't my fault. Every person has a standard for evidence to believe something and we don't control that standard. We either believe something to be true or we don't based on what we "know".

Nope. There isn't convincing evidence of the existence of any gods. That, again, isn't my fault. Every person has a standard for evidence to believe something and we don't control that standard. We either believe something to be true or we don't based on what we "know".
Then we agree.

Then we agree.
We may agree that there is no god, but that's different than saying it's immoral to not be convinced either way. Some people define "god" as simply a force/power, with consciousness, that caused our universe to come into existence. Others, like Christians, imagine God is a bearded guy in the clouds who is awkwardly interested in what we do when we have no clothes on. I'm a absolutely certain there is no bearded guy. I'm not positive about an unknown conscious power somewhere out there.

We may agree that there is no god, but that's different than saying it's immoral to not be convinced either way. Some people define "god" as simply a force/power, with consciousness, that caused our universe to come into existence. Others, like Christians, imagine God is a bearded guy in the clouds who is awkwardly interested in what we do when we have no clothes on. I'm a absolutely certain there is no bearded guy. I'm not positive about an unknown conscious power somewhere out there.
I did not say it is immoral. I said refusing to make a decision is a moral flaw.

I did not say it is immoral. I said refusing to make a decision is a moral flaw.
So, even though there may not be sufficient evidence that truly convinces you one way or the other, you should flip a coin and pick one because it would be immoral not to?

That's weird.

So, even though there may not be sufficient evidence that truly convinces you one way or the other, you should flip a coin and pick one because it would be immoral not to?
No. We are taught the Christian religion. "God" is only that teaching. Agnostics accept the Christian teaching. No one is forcing them.

Back