Bailout bill fails

No bill is going to be "good." I don't think Frank & Dodd & everyone are all in the pocket, either.

The gist I have gotten from the last week is that the details of the bill do not really matter; as it is, I am glad that there is oversight, and some other protections. But it's the bailout that matters; without the bailout, foreign investors & a lot of big money is simply going to jump ship. The market will truly tank, and once that happens, anything goes. It's not just CEO's losing their golden parachutes. It's millions of Americans losing jobs, dramatically cutting their spending and the economy shrinking in a serious way.

I don't think people are exaggerating it. I think we're in trouble.
I think we are too. However I think five days to come up with a better solution is better than rushing to failure at breakneck speed.

The representatives are ignorant little twits who believe they understand economics because they listed to a speech from Reagan. The American people have had all their senses destroyed by the right. This is America's lost decade, and the right shall crumble for doing this to America.

Duh. What part of my excitement at its failure means I think it is good to you?

Slow down and do this right

Do what right?

DO it RIGHT is a form of still doing it.

Of course, we can weasel around all day about what you meant by right in this contex. Thats the charm in you, damo, the semi-sophisticated nature of your dissembly and distortion techniques.

I think we are too. However I think five days to come up with a better solution is better than rushing to failure at breakneck speed.

What do you think would placate those that voted against this bill (i.e. the House Republicans)? Their alternative was total shit and would probably have made the crisis worse.

Do what right?

DO it RIGHT is a form of still doing it.

Of course, we can weasel around all day about what you meant by right in this contex. Thats the charm in you, damo, the semi-sophisticated nature of your dissembly and distortion techniques.
Yeah, because I don't advocate a return to the non-growth plan and direct barter system like you, it must mean I dissemble.

Inane. There is a reason that no economic system based on barter ever passed the agricultural stage. It's just plain idiotic to maintain that we should return to a portion of history that most nowadays would say sucked to make things "right" in your mind.

The representatives are ignorant little twits who believe they understand economics because they listed to a speech from Reagan. The American people have had all their senses destroyed by the right. This is America's lost decade, and the right shall crumble for doing this to America.

WHy are the dems afraid of doing it without bipartisan support? You'd think that's a label they would enjoy. But I guess I live in upside down land.:rolleyes:

What do you think would placate those that voted against this bill (i.e. the House Republicans)? Their alternative was total shit and would probably have made the crisis worse.
You worry about "placating". If I were a D in Congress I'd be writing what I thought would not just give relief, but would solve the issue for the future.

Break up banks that are "too big to fail", for one thing. That has to be the stupidest thing ever, even while this is going on we are letting more "too big to fail" banks get together... We truly cannot learn from even recent history. Crap seconds ago the "too big to fail" banks were taken over by the government and yet we still continue on that path.

If you write a bill that they know will actually resolve the issue they'll vote for it, regardless of "placating".

Yeah, because I don't advocate a return to the non-growth plan and direct barter system like you, it must mean I dissemble.

Inane. There is a reason that no economic system based on barter ever passed the agricultural stage. It's just plain idiotic to maintain that we should return to a portion of history that most nowadays would say sucked to make things "right" in your mind.
You're just plain idiotic.

Haven't you been listening "economic growth" based on credit is just a form of enslavement. Celbrate the collapse of our system of enslavement.

People who seek to parasitize others are the only ones who hate barter sytems. Fiat money is just a source of senseless and irrational power. It's time has passed.

AssHat opposes this because he sees a crumbling economy and financial system as a way to return to a dark ages guild system that he's dreamed up. He's in an armageddon cult.

Plus it is silly when your party has the majority to blame solely "rs" on this failure. It's plain partisan hackery.

I wonder: can anyone calculate the amount of revenue that the gov't loses if the Dow is downs 1,500-2,000 points for an extended period (say, a few months)?

Naturally, no one can, because of all of the sectors that are affected. I bet it's a lot, though.

Haven't you been listening "economic growth" based on credit is just a form of enslavement. Celbrate the collapse of our system of enslavement.

People who seek to parasitize others are the only ones who hate barter sytems. Fiat money is just a source of senseless and irrational power. It's time has passed.

Translation:

I'm a 40 y/o vir gin making $7.50/hour.

Name one current successful barter system in any nation that is past the agricultural stage of economics.

A return to such a system is not pleasurable by any means.

I can see "gold standard" etc. but promoting direct barter? Stupid. Just plain totally ignorant of all historic information available.

Plus it is silly when your party has the majority to blame solely "rs" on this failure. It's plain partisan hackery.

I'm not blaming it solely on the R's. Sorry if it seemed that way. Clearly there were some Rs that voted for this and a large number of Dems that voted against it.

That said, the only real alternative that was actual presented was horrible. I just don't see a bill actually passing. At this point they should just walk away.

No. We will just be free of the social, central illuminati engineers.

You oppose the bailout bill because it's from the illuminati?

Well sheesh, they aren't doing a good job of keeping their guys that they obviously control in congress in line. You'd think the fucking illuminati would at least be able to summon a couple of YAY votes.

Back