Barter - only hope for freedom

But anyway, the verisimillitude of your homeless experience is not the issue here.

What's true is that even though money is convenient, it can lead to totalitarianism.

But anyway, the verisimillitude of your homeless experience is not the issue here.

What's true is that even though money is convenient, it can lead to totalitarianism.
And that bartering causes problems that can limit freedoms in a different way.

The reality is, creating money that has actual value (gold standard for example) while also bartering is probably the best way to go.

For you it has to be all or nothing, for the rest of us? Not so much.

And that bartering causes problems that can limit freedoms in a different way.
Not really.
The reality is, creating money that has actual value (gold standard for example) while also bartering is probably the best way to go.

For you it has to be all or nothing, for the rest of us? Not so much.

I would agree, but those in charge of keeping money tagged to actual value always find themselves too tempted to make more for themselves and their friends on the sly.

Prior to money, people didn't sitting around going, "wow this sucks".

Not really.

I would agree, but those in charge of keeping money tagged to actual value always find themselves too tempted to make more for themselves and their friends on the sly.

Prior to money, people didn't sitting around going, "wow this sucks".
Because they didn't have time for that. They worked too hard trying to hunt & gather up enough food to live.

When do you think money was "invented"?

yes, but age before beauty is the rule around here.:)

You go first, Captain Disingenuous.
Look. Just admit you didn't know the answer and we'll move on and you'll get a lesson. Or use Google and pretend you know something. Either way I'm happy. But I'm not here to just hand you the answers, if it is worth it to you to attempt to prove this inane point we'll start by asking you to show knowledge.

The Sumer civilization is the first known use of commodity money where something symbolized another thing of value. Hammurabi's Babylon embodies the first known instance of a modern economy, and his famous code embodied the laws.

Before "money" people barely scraped by...

In instances where places do not have a monetary system a commodity almost always becomes the "money" itself. We can look at microcosms like a prison (cigarettes) or new colonies like New South Wales where rum took on that spot until enough coinage came into the area.

In places where this doesn't happen, often people are hampered in trade because of timing of the markets. Fruit and grain do not ripen at the same time. Hence the need for, at the very least, commodity markets where a commodity that doesn't rot can be used for interim holdings... that commodity becomes the "money" of that area.

The Sumer civilization is the first known use of commodity money where something symbolized another thing of value. Hammurabi's Babylon embodies the first known instance of a modern economy, and his famous code embodied the laws.

Before "money" people barely scraped by...

In instances where places do not have a monetary system a commodity almost always becomes the "money" itself. We can look at microcosms like a prison (cigarettes) or new colonies like New South Wales where rum took on that spot until enough coinage came into the area.

In places where this doesn't happen, often people are hampered in trade because of timing of the markets. Fruit and grain do not ripen at the same time. Hence the need for, at the very least, commodity markets where a commodity that doesn't rot can be used for interim holdings... that commodity becomes the "money" of that area.

But now that money has led to fiat money, and all resources are indexed against a fascist controlled abstraction, people are starving when they are being priced out of the foot markets inside their own nations.

Scraping by will start to look good.

But now that money has led to fiat money, and all resources are indexed against a fascist controlled abstraction, people are starving when they are being priced out of the foot markets inside their own nations.

Scraping by will start to look good.
Again, you and I agree on fiat money. We do not agree on "barter". I like a good solid commodity representative system where the cash has value and my personal freedom level high.

Again, you and I agree on fiat money. We do not agree on "barter". I like a good solid commodity representative system where the cash has value and my personal freedom level high.

Well, "experts" will laugh at you for that as much as you're laughing at me.

It's all so hilarious.

Back