Barter - only hope for freedom

The level of abstraction is too amenable to abuse, ie. they could SAY it's backed by gold, but then go ahead and print too much anyway. Backed money is better than fiat money, but barter is best, as it requires no central authority.

Why are you a douchebag?

There is no need for a central authority to regulate the money supply. Simply allow bank notes and hang anyone that fraudulently engages in fractional reserve banking.

But when a central authority controls backed currency the money supply is regulated by the market. If they print too much money, people can simply demand their gold.

I don't think you have a clue. A barter system is horribly inefficient. If you think mass starvation/die off with no growth afterwords is a positive then maybe it is something to advocate.

From 79-95 the Fed targeted Monetary Aggregates. The economy was very good, then they got rid of Monetary aggregates and instead focused on Inflation targets, that lead to the world of bubbles. Monetarism or at least a focus on the Monetary aggregates is best.

From 79-95 the Fed targeted Monetary Aggregates. The economy was very good, then they got rid of Monetary aggregates and instead focused on Inflation targets, that lead to the world of bubbles. Monetarism or at least a focus on the Monetary aggregates is best.

I don't believe this is relevant to the discussion.

There is no need for a central authority to regulate the money supply. Simply allow bank notes and hang anyone that fraudulently engages in fractional reserve banking.
who creates the bills? Who does the hanging? You are simply wrong.
But when a central authority controls backed currency the money supply is regulated by the market. If they print too much money, people can simply demand their gold.
There is no way to know when they're printing extra without some kind of central authority who can police them.
I don't think you have a clue. A barter system is horribly inefficient. If you think mass starvation/die off with no growth afterwords is a positive then maybe it is something to advocate.

So there was no human growth until after the invention of fiat currency?

You're severely retarded.

who creates the bills?

More than likely it will be the institutions that stores the gold, i.e., the banks.

Who does the hanging? You are simply wrong.

A court of law.

There is no way to know when they're printing extra without some kind of central authority who can police them.

There are tell-tale signs, i.e., inflation. The market is the best policing method. Our current situation is the result of the gradual persistent march of your view until we have too much government policing.

So there was no human growth until after the invention of fiat currency?

Not what I said. Not all money is fiat currency. Without some commonly used medium of exchange growth will be so insignificant it might as well be nothing.

Even the most primitive civilizations had some form of money and one will develop without some external force barring it.

More than likely it will be the institutions that stores the gold, i.e., the banks.
I don't feel they can be trusted to not overprint. if you do. That proves your naivete.
A court of law.
That's a central authority, who will probably be bribed. True honesty in trade can only come through barter.
There are tell-tale signs, i.e., inflation. The market is the best policing method. Our current situation is the result of the gradual persistent march of your view until we have too much government policing.
IT was deregulation that allowed bad commercial bank loans to infect the entire investment world. That's "your" view.
Not what I said. Not all money is fiat currency. Without some commonly used medium of exchange growth will be so insignificant it might as well be nothing.

Even the most primitive civilizations had some form of money and one will develop without some external force barring it.

As I said, it's too amenable to abuse. Market policing in these matters is idiotic.

I don't feel they can be trusted to not overprint. if you do. That proves your naivete.

You don't have to trust them nAHZi. You can accept gold only or do business in barter if you like.

That's a central authority, who will probably be bribed. True honesty in trade can only come through barter.

There is no need for the authority to be centralized at all. Courts of law are not highly centralized now.

People can rip you off very easily with barter as it is very difficult to know the true value of what you are getting in trade. That's a major reason why money developed. You are soooo fucking ignorant.

IT was deregulation that allowed bad commercial bank loans to infect the entire investment world. That's "your" view.

That's nonsense. Banks were never regulated out of making bad loans. MBS were never regulated. Credit default swap were never regulated. For deregulation to be blamed the regulation had to exist to begin with.

The only deregulation of any significance had nothing to do with with the subprime mess as commercial banks could have bought he paper before deregulation.

It was your policing of the monetary supply that caused this mess.

As I said, it's too amenable to abuse. Market policing in these matters is idiotic.

How do you suggest people be prevented from using money? Taking away fiat currency and legal tender laws will not stop money, it will just allow good money to take it's place. Would you have police arrest those who use money?

Inflation targets?

Isn't that what they used before 79? Why the hell did they go back to that?

A court of law.

And the huge advantage of our system is that it's all standard, there's no massive confusion, and no opportunity for large scale fraud. Prosecuting fraudsters is great, but you see how well that's stopped the drug trade. Competition in the monetary realm produces no value. It is useless, and best left to an elected government to handle.

A purely barter system would make for a largely freedomless society.

You would be unable to pick up and travel elsewhere to where jobs are without having to give up all your possessions or creating a wagon train.

There is a reason that money became popular. It's easier to carry than 50 chickens. How many chickens would I need to carry if I wanted to sell my home and move to Montana? Nowadays I get to put money into a bank, and when I get to Montana it's still there and accessible to me. This is a good thing. I don't even have to carry sacks of flour to pay for my new house...

What we need is for our money to have value and to barter more often, not one or the other. It would be stupid to return to an agrarian society.

Back