Barter - only hope for freedom

A purely barter system would make for a largely freedomless society.

You would be unable to pick up and travel elsewhere to where jobs are without having to give up all your possessions or creating a wagon train.

There is a reason that money became popular. It's easier to carry than 50 chickens. How many chickens would I need to carry if I wanted to sell my home and move to Montana? Nowadays I get to put money into a bank, and when I get to Montana it's still there and accessible to me. This is a good thing. I don't even have to carry sacks of flour to pay for my new house...

What we need is for our money to have value and to barter more often, not one or the other. It would be stupid to return to an agrarian society.

It would actually free us from the yoke of statist control.

It in no way demands an agrarian society. All of your alleged GOTCHAS are moronic and stupid.

Great. That way we can have thousands of communities constantly murdering people and having no money at the same time, rather than the current stable and bloodless situation.

They'd have plenty of money. Why don't we just legalize theft, rape and murder itself to avoid having thousands of communities constantly kidnapping people?

And the huge advantage of our system is that it's all standard, there's no massive confusion, and no opportunity for large scale fraud. Prosecuting fraudsters is great, but you see how well that's stopped the drug trade. Competition in the monetary realm produces no value. It is useless, and best left to an elected government to handle.

There is plenty of value in having good stable money.

How?

It in no way demands an agrarian society. All of your alleged GOTCHAS are moronic and stupid.

Sure, you could carry around television sets to pay your way. :)

We would definitely fall into an agrarian society.

What does your company do? I can tell you, mine would not work without money. We make software for hospitals. What would our customers pay us with, medical care??? A person only need so much of that.

It's idiocy to pretend that there aren't problems that are resolved by having a note of value.

It is far easier to carry $20 worth of gold, for instance, in paper form that can be turned in for the actual item.

Your pretense that only barter can fix all the ills of the world is preposterous. Nobody wants to return to it because the system had problems that were resolved by creating "money".

Again, how would one decide to move, say to NY State from CO using such a system? What would I get for the sale of my house that I could easily carry with me to buy another house in NY State? How would I carry it?

Saying, "That wouldn't be a problem." isn't the same as pointing out how it would not be a problem.

How?

Sure, you could carry around television sets to pay your way. :)

We would definitely fall into an agrarian society.

What does your company do? I can tell you, mine would not work without money. We make software for hospitals. What would our customers pay us with, medical care??? A person only need so much of that.

Do you believe the ability to create money at will is a significant power?

It creates more problems than it solves.
No dumbass, it solves a system that only has problems and in which there is NOTHING good about it. To put it in Waterboy terms - Bartering is the Devil!!! :burn:

Introducing a medium of exchange creates a few problems but solves thousands in the process, and is far from being an intrinsic failure the way bartering is.

No dumbass, it solves a system that only has problems and in which there is NOTHING good about it. To put it in Waterboy terms - Bartering is the Devil!!! :burn:

Introducing a medium of exchange creates a few problems but solves thousands in the process, and is far from being an intrinsic failure the way bartering is.

Bartering is only framed as a failure by those who use currency as a totalitarian tool.

Dude, where the fuck do you live that nobody starves or dies on the street? because I see it on a weekly basis out here in Dallas.

If someone is dying on the street its not from starvation. There are so many outreach programs, soup kitchens and shelters across the country that are available to feed people.

People who are mentally ill and paranoid about going to a shelter might starve, but they are dying because of their mental illness not starvation.

Parents might abuse their kids and starve them. But that is a problem of child abuse, not starvation.

I am not saying that people are not hungry or that everyone gets enough to eat. But people are not starving to death.

If someone is dying on the street its not from starvation. There are so many outreach programs, soup kitchens and shelters across the country that are available to feed people.

People who are mentally ill and paranoid about going to a shelter might starve, but they are dying because of their mental illness not starvation.

Parents might abuse their kids and starve them. But that is a problem of child abuse, not starvation.

I am not saying that people are not hungry or that everyone gets enough to eat. But people are not starving to death.
I would say, "Not starving to death for lack of means to get needed food."

Those who wish to find food can eat well. Shoot, we did a thing with a local homeless 'shelter' called Step Thirteen, where we all went out and stayed on the street for 2 weeks. We ate very well indeed and learned much about homeless that isn't the heartbreaking crap that we are constantly barraged with for emo votes.

I would say, "Not starving to death for lack of means to get needed food."

Those who wish to find food can eat well. Shoot, we did a thing with a local homeless 'shelter' called Step Thirteen, where we all went out and stayed on the street for 2 weeks. We ate very well indeed and learned much about homeless that isn't the heartbreaking crap that we are constantly barraged with for emo votes.

Your pretend homelessness is probably not the same.

Your pretend homelessness is probably not the same.
It was. I stayed in shelters, I ate only from the food available to homeless people. We even did it in winter, I never once had to sleep in the cold.

If you want shelter, if you want food, it is available.

Back