Bill Cosby has done it again...

With respect, Bill Cosby is not worthy to speak about the black community? That I find difficult to understand. And I don't mean this at you personally but white women are saying Bill Cosby can't speak about the black community?

Cawacko, who's the white dude who got tapped to speak for the white community? I didn't get the memo, but I'm sure it was a white dude, not a woman. Which one did you guys annoint?

Cawacko, who's the white dude who got tapped to speak for the white community? I didn't get the memo, but I'm sure it was a white dude, not a woman. Which one did you guys annoint?

Is the man allowed to speak his opinion? Or do white woman control which black men can or can't speak?

With respect, Bill Cosby is not worthy to speak about the black community? That I find difficult to understand. And I don't mean this at you personally but white women are saying Bill Cosby can't speak about the black community?

No, he is entitled to his opinion, it is just his life was pretty middle class sounding.

I'm saying that he wasn't speaking for the entire black community anymore than someone who considers white-trash hillbillies to be the entire white community.

He's making a huge generalization but no one wants to address that. He has all the stereotypes down pat.

No, he is entitled to his opinion, it is just his life was pretty middle class sounding.

So the white women discount what a black man who grew up in a seriously racist America has to say because he was 'middle class black'. That makes total sense

I'm saying that he wasn't speaking for the entire black community anymore than someone who considers white-trash hillbillies to be the entire white community. He's making a huge generalization but no one wants to address that.

Not what you said at all...

Cosby didn't grow up poor and isn't speaking from experience. So his opinion and $1 will buy a cup of coffee at McDonald's.

I'm saying that he wasn't speaking for the entire black community anymore than someone who considers white-trash hillbillies to be the entire white community.

He's making a huge generalization but no one wants to address that. He has all the stereotypes down pat.

Huge generalization? He's speaking to a specific group of people and he has the gravitas to reach them. He cares and is trying to create positive change yet white women are hating on him for it?

So the white women discount what a black man who grew up in a seriously racist America has to say because he was 'middle class black'. That makes total sense

Cosby wants to have it both ways; he wants to eschew identity politics as it applies to Africa but then he says this:

We, as black folks have to do a better job.
Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.
We have to start holding each other to a higher standard..
We cannot blame the white people any longer.'

So what is he doing with this, if he isn't going right back to that identity politics rooted in African imagery that he just said shouldn't be part of the conversation!

Does he get to speak for the whole black community by virtue of his blackness or by virtue of his wealth or his success or by virtue of his television series. What allows him to speak for everyone and tell Black people how they should wear their hats!

The man is stereotyping, period. Am I missing context or something? And this has nothing to do with "white women" (or white men) discounting what he says.

He's making a huge generalization but no one wants to address that.
If you mean that not every has no command of the language then fine and Dr Cosby would agree. If you dont realize that all too many either cannot speak otherwise or chose not to then you will, of course, have missed his point. And we all know there are whites, hispanics, asians etc who also have poor command of language but it is obviously important to the good doctor to effect positive change for those of his race both by personal example and shaming if needed. The president has chimed in on occasion aalong these lines. Is he out of line as well ? Perhaps if Jay Z or LeBron etal echoed these sentiments people would consider it. Till then, blacks hamstring themselves for no reason.

I must have missed his claim to be speaking for the entire Black community.

Do you think he knows that's the exclusive domain of guilty white liberals?

The man is stereotyping, period. Am I missing context or something? And this has nothing to do with "white women" (or white men) discounting what he says.

Stereotyping? I was lucky enough to grow up in a middle class family but I also grew up in Oakland and witnessed plenty of what he speaks about. He is not stereotyping. He's speaking about a specific group of people

Last edited:
Huge generalization? He's speaking to a specific group of people and he has the gravitas to reach them. He cares and is trying to create positive change yet white women are hating on him for it?

He appears to be saying that people who talk one way on the street can't also know and speak correct English in another situation. I think that is a general stereotype of Black youth and while it may apply to some, it certainly doesn't apply to all as he is here implying!!

Back