Blacks Arrested for "Contempt of Cop" at 8x Higher Rate

Timshel

This referred to as a "cover charge" so they can beat the crap out of you.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/353020_obstructmain28.asp

When Seattle police arrest someone for "obstructing a public officer," chances are nearly dead even they're arresting an African-American -- in a city that's predominantly white.

Once arrested, the accused could spend a night in jail, but the odds are relatively favorable -- as good as a coin toss -- that the prosecutors will drop the case, often as a result of a review the next morning.

In fact, African-Americans are arrested for the sole crime of obstructing eight times as often as whites when population is taken into account, a Seattle P-I investigation of six years of Seattle Municipal Court records and data found.

Often hotly contested, obstruction arrests have become so questionable in Seattle that some defense attorneys call it the "cover charge."

"If they are going to beat the crap out of someone, they have to level a charge," said Seattle attorney Frank Shoichet, who has sued police officers more than 20 times. "That's why it's called the cover charge."

In fact, some officers described the gross misdemeanor as "contempt of cop," indicating a charge used primarily for retaliatory purposes.

Of course not, they are black and therefore guilty. The starbucks crowd (white people) would never be charged with such silly things. Well they are but at a much lower rate.

I'm not even going to argue with you on this if you are going to be a douchebag.

By the way, that website that you posted the other day about things that white people love:

I believe that one of them was trying to show how open-minded they are by championing other races.

I'm not even going to argue with you on this if you are going to be a douchebag.

By the way, that website that you posted the other day about things that white people love:

I believe that one of them was trying to show how open-minded they are by championing other races.

This story is specifically about blacks being the target of these phony charges.

I really don't give a crap whether they are black, white or whatever. They are my fellow citizens and human beings that deserve rights. But, the fact is that minorities are treated harshly in our criminal justice system.

If blacks as a group are abused you can bet others will be as well. While race is a big factor for many of these ahole cops, class is pretty huge too. They can get away with framing up the poor because they cannot fight back. And when idiot knee jerks like yourself rush to look the other way their hope of obtaining justice becomes even slimmer.

This story is specifically about blacks being the target of these phony charges.

I really don't give a crap whether they are black, white or whatever. They are my fellow citizens and human beings that deserve rights. But, the fact is that minorities are treated harshly in our criminal justice system.

If blacks as a group are abused you can bet others will be as well. While race is a big factor for many of these ahole cops, class is pretty huge too. They can get away with framing up the poor because they cannot fight back. And when idiot knee jerks like yourself rush to look the other way their hope of obtaining justice becomes even slimmer.

Oh yes, because cops are clearly a part of the upper-class. I know all sorts of cops driving to work from their mansions and sending their kids to Yale.

I don't rush to look the other way, I just think it is pointless to condemn the police system itself in situations like this. Arrest the people who do wrong, and prosecute them.

Oh yes, because cops are clearly a part of the upper-class. I know all sorts of cops driving to work from their mansions and sending their kids to Yale.

I don't rush to look the other way, I just think it is pointless to condemn the police system itself in situations like this. Arrest the people who do wrong, and prosecute them.
So, the cops should arrest themselves then?

And you are the one that brought up the starbucks crowd. It's not my fault that you chose to generalize and used one that pretty vividly depicts people that are primarily white.

douchebag

And you are the one that brought up the starbucks crowd. It's not my fault that you chose to generalize and used one that pretty vividly depicts people that are primarily white.

douchebag

You are racist for assuming that the people at Starbucks are primarily white.

I have not found that to be the case in my own city.

EDIT: By the way, Starbucks was meant to depict a non-criminal activity, not race-- douchebag.

Is your city predominantly white?

So your excuse would be that his city is predominantly white? Because then it would be safe to say that most businesses are going to have predominantly white customers-- because the population is predominantly white.

When the poor are unjustly arrested, abused, charged, etc., they have no means to fight back. It's not about class warfare. It's about cops attacking the defenseless as most predatory fuckheads tend to do.

The system is fucked up. Why is it wrong to condemn it but okay to condemn public education, healthcare, etc.?

When the poor are unjustly arrested, abused, charged, etc., they have no means to fight back. It's not about class warfare. It's about cops attacking the defenseless as most predatory fuckheads tend to do.

The system is fucked up. Why is it wrong to condemn it but okay to condemn public education, healthcare, etc.?

Because I don't see it being fucked up-- I see a mostly good system with some "predatory fuckheads" thrown in.

So your excuse would be that his city is predominantly white? Because then it would be safe to say that most businesses are going to have predominantly white customers-- because the population is predominantly white.
What excuse? I asked a question and have yet to make any observations.

Back