Blame Congress for Inflation

But to act as though a commodity like oil, which when its price rises effects the price of production of damn near every single product and service in the world, does not effect inflation is idiotic.

All impacts on price are not inflation. You're just a confused idiot.

All impacts on price are not inflation. You're just a confused idiot.

Again with your nonsense? How can you even attempt to justify that? That only the portion of price increases due to monetary/fiscal policy are inflationary? Do you and I feel the pain any less if oil increases by $20 barrell if due to speculation or demand increases vs. increases due to a declining dollar valuation? No, we do not.

Only monetary purists believe that nonsense.

and just so you and obfuscate don't get confused again.... NO, I am not advocating a pure cost-push position. I think monetary policy is the largest driver of inflation. Without question. But it is not the only driver.

Obfuscate is miles ahead of Superfreak in economic theory.

SF might be better at the practical investing side, but no one I've seen on this board or any other matches Ob for total knowledge of economics.

Both of them make Topspin look like a mental infant though.

SF might be better at the practical investing side, but no one I've seen on this board or any other matches Ob for total knowledge of economics.

Get off your high horse Epic. He mouths Friedman and that’s all he does. He’s an ideologue who happens to suck the same dick you do – Milton’s.

And that’s all he is.

Again with your nonsense? How can you even attempt to justify that?
Because the definition of inflation is price increase DUE TO MONETARY SUPPLY. Price changes due to other reasons are not inflation. It's really simple.
That only the portion of price increases due to monetary/fiscal policy are inflationary?
More precisely that they ARE INFLATION.
Do you and I feel the pain any less if oil increases by $20 barrell if due to speculation or demand increases vs. increases due to a declining dollar valuation? No, we do not.
The pain of high prices has nothing to do with their cause. And price increases cause by money supply are inflation. Other influences are not inflation.
Only monetary purists believe that nonsense.

and just so you and obfuscate don't get confused again.... NO, I am not advocating a pure cost-push position. I think monetary policy is the largest driver of inflation. Without question. But it is not the only driver.

Other causes of price increase are not inflation.

Both of them make Topspin look like a mental infant though.

I obviously beg to differ. Obfuscate is a Friedman disciple.... one who claims to understand there are a variety of economic theorists out there, yet who follows blindly behind Friedman.

Perhaps you would care to explain what Obfuscate and Asshat refuse to do...

How do you explain the inflation in costs of goods/services that is NOT due to monetary policy? Or do you proclaim as they do that price increases really aren't inflationary unless they are due to monetary policy and that the remainder of price increases really aren't increases?

There is no more important application of economic theory than investing.
The student tools are quite comical.

Because the definition of inflation is price increase DUE TO MONETARY SUPPLY. Price changes due to other reasons are not inflation. It's really simple.

More precisely that they ARE INFLATION.

The pain of high prices has nothing to do with their cause. And price increases cause by money supply are inflation. Other influences are not inflation.

Other causes of price increase are not inflation.

No, that is the monetarist's strict definition of inflation. That is not the only definition. The traditional definition of inflation is a rise in prices of a general basket of goods.

Again, it is largely a result of monetary policy to be sure, but again... to act as though the remainder of price increases is not inflationary is idiotic at best.

Is Obfuscate still in college? Or recently out of it?

I don’t know, but I picture him like that kid in Good Will Hunting, who is quoting from a book to impress the janitor, but the janitor is a genius and knows that the pompous fool is only quoting from a book, and even from what page, and makes him look like the puffed up dolt that he is.

This kid has got some ego, but I have never seen anything to back that up, other than hysterical claims of being “the only one on this thread who didn’t have to google”.

I don’t know, but I picture him like that kid in Good Will Hunting, who is quoting from a book to impress the janitor, but the janitor is a genius and knows that the pompous fool is only quoting from a book, and even from what page, and makes him look like the puffed up dolt that he is.

This kid has got some ego, but I have never seen anything to back that up, other than hysterical claims of being “the only one on this thread who didn’t have to google”.

Hmm... I have not had much interaction with him. But as soon as he used a Gumby-esque strawman, he lost my respect. But he does have Asshat on his side in this, so that should provide him some comfort. He also seems to posess an inability to comprehend what it written.

I do find it funny that he has gone twice now to the toppy standby of "I clearly know more than you" line of argument.

I wait patiently on his once again attempting to tell us how price increases in commodities that are not due to monetary policy are not inflationary. They are "just" price increases.????

Obfuscate said he had a degree in economics. But he has that Oncelor' ish economics doesn't apply to investing attitude that tells me if he's out he's prob way under 30 wet behind the ears and barely paying his own bills.

Obfuscate
Vice President of a Construction Lending Bank. $80,000,000 line
Licensed Home Builder in Minnesota
Degree in Economics - U of M

Even Keynes believed that the Quanity Theory of Money was true in the long run thus his famous quote:

"In the long run we're all dead".

You guys are out of your league. The rise in energy is mainly money inflation since 2001. Without that we wouldn't be in this situation. I thought you two were smarter than the general public I guess not.

"Half the price of gas is inflation and the speculation inflation creates"

Steve Forbes on too low of Fed Funds rates.

Language lesson for Superfreak:

Often, definition of words include a cause. For instance, "murdered" and "killed" both are descriptive of a dead person, however, they vary based depending on the cause that put them in the dead state. "Murdered" is similar to "killed" but is further refined by including a CAUSE as part of the definition. We say someone is "murdered" when they are put into a state of being dead intentionally by another person. It's the same thing with "inflation". Yes, it is a price increase, but the definition includes a cause with it like "murder" does. Inflation is specifically price increase DUE TO MONETARY SUPPLY. There may be also components of the price increase that are supply/demand related, but those components are not "inflation", as it is defined in the field of economics.

Last edited:
"But he has that Oncelor' ish economics "

Stop stalking me! Waaaaaa.....waaaaaa...I'm going to cry. Stop stalking me, you meanie...

so you make about median salary right. LOFL
yeah millions of cars added to the roads in china had nothing to do with creating demand and inflation in oil right.

lorax at least the VP makes an attempt you just act like a door to door software saleman. Meaning you don't know enough business to work in a real office.

It can indeed be caused by a monetary phenomenon. A large portion of the inflationary pressures on oil and grain today are caused to a very loose monetary policy that has caused a decline in the valuation of the dollar and thus a subsequent increase in prices.

But the inflation caused by growth in demand outstripping growth in supply is not imaginary. In that you are incorrect.

REAL inflation is when the price goes up.... period. There are several things that can cause REAL inflation. Monetary policy is but one.... a big one to be sure, but when tallking about inflationary pressures on individual commodities you cannot overlook supply and demand.

Try reading the bolded portion again Obfuscate...

Back