Bowl Games

To each his own, everybody had a different college experience. But I come from a very different perspective than you. For many people college is the best time in your life. You are in an amazing environment during your formative years often making your best, or lifelong, friends. There's a reason so many people donate to their schools and watch their teams etc. It takes you back to that special time and place and you want future kids to share a similar experience you had.

And at least in my world we talk Universities and college sports all the time. It regularly comes up with friends and in business environments. And at least for top schools the alumni network lasts a lifetime. I call people up out of the blue today who are USC alums who I've never met to pitch business and will start the conversation by bringing up USC.

Now just because you go to a top school doesn't mean you will automatically be successful in life just as not going to college does not mean you will never have success. But there's a reason people pay as much as they do to go to (top) schools. And that's because they are far more than just a four year window in your life.
living in Anchorage I don't have any contact with LSU alums in but intend on getting an early spot at the coolest sports bar in town for the NCG where I'm sure to run into many. It's an old log building on the banks of Campbell Creek.
I always go there for the big LSU games. The Bama game was a hoot this yr.!
As far as old friends I have more contact with my dental school classmates. There's more of a connection there , like old army buddies that went through war together.

Last edited:
Oh, wow...awesome... (amazing dental school here, btw;)
You must be very excited for the game...Go Joe;)
Lol, see above post!

Yeah I see a lot of media showing Joes folks back home rooting for him. He seemed a little dissapointed not playing against his old buds but he's a class act and diplomatic.
I was too a little. I thought OSU was the better team throughout the yr.

It's all connected...pride in your school helps when it comes to what you were able to accomplish...congratulations, btw....that's awesome!
Are you teaching? God bless you if you are;)

No, I didn't teach for long at all. I was offered a much better position outside the school systems.

living in Anchorage I don't have any contact with LSU alums in Anchorage but intend on getting an early spot at the coolest sports bar in town for the NCG where I'm sure to run into many. It's an old log building on the banks of Campbell Creek.
As far as old friends I have more contact with my dental school classmates. There's more of a connection there , like old army buddies that went through war together.

Places like college and the Army are experiences that bond people together for a lifetime. My best friends are from college but because they don't live in SF I don't see them regularly like I do people I live around. I still make new friends today but it's not the same to me as ones I've know for decades and had so many experiences with.

Lol, see above post!

Yeah I see a lot of media showing Joes folks back home rooting for him. He seemed a little dissapointed not playing against his old buds but he's a class act and diplomatic.
I was too a little. I thought OSU was the better team throughout the yr.

Yep, yep...(He's definitely a wonderful kid and athlete-I'm happy for him;)...and for sure...some losses are tougher losses than others....)
We're tough, though....;)
Have fun...I hope you whooptheir........

Yep, yep...(He's definitely a wonderful kid and athlete-I'm happy for him;)...and for sure...some losses are tougher losses than others....)
We're tough, though....;)..
Here's a quote from an old friend I knew from my Jr. tennis competiton days when he did an interview after he was inducted into the Louisiana sports hall of fame. Not a famous guy but an amazing statement to come from the top of his head:

"Life is transient and uncertain – the Scriptures say we are but a “vapor”, a “breath”, and “dust”. And yet it also says we have “eternity in our hearts.” Any achievements in a career or an avocation are likewise transient and temporary, and, curiously, it is only with that perspective that they can be truly enjoyed. Once they become an obsession or a solitary focus the enjoyment of participating and even succeeding rapidly dissipates." - Mark Meyers

Here's a quote from an old friend I knew from my Jr. tennis competiton days when he did an interview after he was inducted into the Louisiana sports hall of fame. Not a famous guy but an amazing statement to come from the top of his head:

"Life is transient and uncertain – the Scriptures say we are but a “vapor”, a “breath”, and “dust”. And yet it also says we have “eternity in our hearts.” Any achievements in a career or an avocation are likewise transient and temporary, and, curiously, it is only with that perspective that they can be truly enjoyed. Once they become an obsession or a solitary focus the enjoyment of participating and even succeeding rapidly dissipates." - Mark Meyers

You're talking to the lunchroom lady

Last edited:
To each his own, everybody had a different college experience. But I come from a very different perspective than you. For many people college is the best time in your life. You are in an amazing environment during your formative years often making your best, or lifelong, friends. There's a reason so many people donate to their schools and watch their teams etc. It takes you back to that special time and place and you want future kids to share a similar experience you had.

And at least in my world we talk Universities and college sports all the time. It regularly comes up with friends and in business environments. And at least for top schools the alumni network lasts a lifetime. I call people up out of the blue today who are USC alums who I've never met to pitch business and will start the conversation by bringing up USC.

Now just because you go to a top school doesn't mean you will automatically be successful in life just as not going to college does not mean you will never have success. But there's a reason people pay as much as they do to go to (top) schools. And that's because they are far more than just a four year window in your life.

I view it as just another part of the learning experience, those "formative years" existed before and after college. I have a few friends from college, more from further studies, couple from the service, but my closest friends today date from high school or the neighborhood.

Everybody talks sports, just as we are sorta doing here, but my interests aren't cemented in college nor stuck to the colleges I attended, I'll follow their progress, but wouldn't argue their future, that has pretty much hit the fan by now, in other words, being realistic about the possibilities

I view it as just another part of the learning experience, those "formative years" existed before and after college. I have a few friends from college, more from further studies, couple from the service, but my closest friends today date from high school or the neighborhood.

Everybody talks sports, just as we are sorta doing here, but my interests aren't cemented in college nor stuck to the colleges I attended, I'll follow their progress, but wouldn't argue their future, that has pretty much hit the fan by now, in other words, being realistic about the possibilities

Like I said, to each his own. No one way people have to go through life. Everyone has their own path they follow.

But yes there are many passionate alumni of many Universities across the country. They donate, they attend events and stay connected.

As to your last sentence I know that was directed at me. You don't follow USC or the PAC 12 so you are free to think I'm unrealistic about something you don't follow or understand (the workings of our University). But we're all entitled to our opinion.

living in Anchorage I don't have any contact with LSU alums in but intend on getting an early spot at the coolest sports bar in town for the NCG where I'm sure to run into many. It's an old log building on the banks of Campbell Creek.

Now I got to ask, you lived and went to school in Louisiana and now you are living in Alaska? I suppose I could see the reverse, but the sun belt to Alaska seems a bit out of the ordinary

And a question, James Carville, who is often noted for witty statements, said once that on any Saturday in the Fall, everybody who lives in Louisiana went to LSU, true?

Like I said, to each his own. No one way people have to go through life. Everyone has their own path they follow.

But yes there are many passionate alumni of many Universities across the country. They donate, they attend events and stay connected.

As to your last sentence I know that was directed at me. You don't follow USC or the PAC 12 so you are free to think I'm unrealistic about something you don't follow or understand (the workings of our University). But we're all entitled to our opinion.

True, but if it were possible, I'd wager my view will turn out to be more realistic, if I was a USC loyalist I'd be happy as hell if they beat the rivals and made the Rose Bowl every few years so you could enjoy the spectacle of the event, least you will be able to see them play

Now tell us about USC basketball, there is certainly no tradition there

Mine was a mix between yours and Archive's experience. My alma matter isn't exactly known for it's social life. More like it's known as the nations largest commuter college. Academically it holds it own with all the other schools in The Ohio State University System and I very much enjoyed my class room experiences. The Social life there was a dud though. LOL

Graduate School was a horse of a different color. I know most people who attend graduate/professional schools have a similar experience. Studying for very long hours and being treated lower than Whale shit by the profs. In retrospect I appreciate and respect the experience but fun or best time of my life is not what I experienced. Suffering, stress, constantly being hungry and working my ever loving ass off are the only things I really remember about grad school. It was a challenge and it made me a better person but fun it was not. LOL

No, I didn't teach for long at all. I was offered a much better position outside the school systems.

Yea I can remember going through the interview process for a job as a HS teacher. I was pretty deeply offended by the experience. I can remember telling the admin who interviewed me, after turning the job down, that he was an arrogant dick and he should learn to be more humble when interviewing candidates who are better educated than him. His jaw hit the floor.

I mean he treated me like I was interviewing for a job at McDonald's. He came off as if he were doing me a favor where he was going to dictate to me my conditions of employment and how I would teach science class at half the wages I was currently earning.

Mine was a mix between yours and Archive's experience. My alma matter isn't exactly known for it's social life. More like it's known as the nations largest commuter college. Academically it holds it own with all the other schools in The Ohio State University System and I very much enjoyed my class room experiences. The Social life there was a dud though. LOL

Graduate School was a horse of a different color. I know most people who attend graduate/professional schools have a similar experience. Studying for very long hours and being treated lower than Whale shit by the profs. In retrospect I appreciate and respect the experience but fun or best time of my life is not what I experienced. Suffering, stress, constantly being hungry and working my ever loving ass off are the only things I really remember about grad school. It was a challenge and it made me a better person but fun it was not. LOL

That is part of Grad school, living on cheap wine and cheese, hot dogs and beer, but the women were smarter, you didn't have to dumb down conversations just to, well, you get the idea

. Now I got to ask, you lived and went to school in Louisiana and now you are living in Alaska? I suppose I could see the reverse, but the sun belt to Alaska seems a bit out of the ordinary
Long story but I’m not ordinary. Abbreviated version is i get itchy feet after a few yrs.

And a question, James Carville, who is often noted for witty statements, said once that on any Saturday in the Fall, everybody who lives in Louisiana went to LSU, true?
Yes except for the handful of wahoos from uptown New Orleans. They hate LSU.

Last edited:
Long story but I’m not ordinary. Abbreviated version is i get itchy feet after a few yrs.

Yes except for the handful of wahoos from uptown New Orleans. They hate LSU at least when i lived there.

What I like most about LSU was it's first leader was a Great Buckeye and a Great American and one of the most hated persons in the South.

Yes except for the handful of wahoos from uptown New Orleans. They hate LSU at least when i lived there.

Louisiana to Alaska is more than itchy feet, creole cuisine to eskimo cuisine had to be an adjustment, or is there even an eskimo cuisine, or eskimos for that matter?

Back