Bowl Games

You don't know USC football history (or the PAC 12) if a Rose Bowl every few years is or should be the goal of the program.

However here's a post from the board today that sums up our University pretty well right now:

""We are trying to do all we can to make it a liberal-leaning, larger (too large now?) Ivy that attracts a large percentage of the student body as full-paying international students (mostly Asian, one of the highest totals of Chinese students in the country). A politically correct safe-space that deemphasizes athletics and the "well-rounded" education/development that was received in past generations.

They have done a great job of making it a more selective institution and in getting ever-higher tuition and fees outpacing inflation; however, this has raised tuition costs for all students, driving them to more student loans to get the degrees, educating internationals who take their skills back to their countries, while at the same time eliminating spots for US kids.

Who has benefitted? The educators' swamp -- administrators, diversity professionals, development officers, etc. Meantime, have the students really gotten a better education? Probably not, but the domestic students are graduating with staggering amounts of debt. I have to question whether this is what we really want the school to be. jmho.""

That shits been going on for far to long. It’s one thing when it’s a Private Institution like USC, where that’s just free market, free trade. However, it goes on at our publicly funded State Universities as well, where exclusive admission standards are used to attract foreign Students who are willing to pay substantially higher rates for a US diploma.

That shit has to stop.

You don't know USC football history (or the PAC 12) if a Rose Bowl every few years is or should be the goal of the program.

However here's a post from the board today that sums up our University pretty well right now:

""We are trying to do all we can to make it a liberal-leaning, larger (too large now?) Ivy that attracts a large percentage of the student body as full-paying international students (mostly Asian, one of the highest totals of Chinese students in the country). A politically correct safe-space that deemphasizes athletics and the "well-rounded" education/development that was received in past generations.

They have done a great job of making it a more selective institution and in getting ever-higher tuition and fees outpacing inflation; however, this has raised tuition costs for all students, driving them to more student loans to get the degrees, educating internationals who take their skills back to their countries, while at the same time eliminating spots for US kids.

Who has benefitted? The educators' swamp -- administrators, diversity professionals, development officers, etc. Meantime, have the students really gotten a better education? Probably not, but the domestic students are graduating with staggering amounts of debt. I have to question whether this is what we really want the school to be. jmho.""

As to your mention of the cost, not just USC but places like OU as well...Worries me to death with my son on the verge of going to college. He’s a Junior in high school and is searching for all the scholarship money he can find. Has a 32 ACT and is trying to improve on that because it means more money. We’re figuring the cost of his post secondary will be $100K - $150K. That’s ridiculously expensive, IMO.

He will qualify for no government aid because our household income is too high but it will be a real struggle to come up with that amount of money even though there has been some financial planning for it on our part. I know my post derails the bowl game talk on this thread but your mention of the cost hits home with what’s been weighing heavily on the minds of leaningright’s household.

As to your mention of the cost, not just USC but places like OU as well...Worries me to death with my son on the verge of going to college. He’s a Junior in high school and is searching for all the scholarship money he can find. Has a 32 ACT and is trying to improve on that because it means more money. We’re figuring the cost of his post secondary will be $100K - $150K. That’s ridiculously expensive, IMO.

He will qualify for no government aid because our household income is too high but it will be a real struggle to come up with that amount of money even though there has been some financial planning for it on our part. I know my post derails the bowl game talk on this thread but your mention of the cost hits home with what’s been weighing heavily on the minds of leaningright’s household.

Prepare him for about twenty years of debt. Try looking into a local community college tied into OK or an OK branch campus. He can save a ton of money by attending there for two years and the last two years at OK. I finished college about $20K in debt which is about $50k in today’s money. Which is manageable with a marketable degree.

If your son can avoid paying room and board costs or keep them to a minimum, which I did by attending a branch campus my first to years and living off campus the second two, where you can save serious money vs living in a dorm and by working part time (full time during summer break) you can probably keep cost for four years at an Accredited State University to $50-60K which is about what I paid, adjusted for inflation in the 80’s.

That’s how I managed without much in the way of financial support from my parents other than room and board for two years.

Or you can write your Congress critter to do something to limit universities spending on non classroom instruction costs and to raise taxes in the State to Support higher education to keep tuition costs reasonable.

When I was in college State taxes were higher and State funding of State Universities was more than double what is now. That funding was one of the first victim of those tax cuts.

Last edited:

Your situation is a very real one many people face. Like you said, you make too much to qualify for free aid but not enough to really be able to afford it.

Mott makes a good point in that two years at a JC is a potential option. Much cheaper and if your son transfers to OU and graduates he will have the same diploma as someone who went there for four years. All things being equal I'd rather go to OU for four years but in the real world you have to make choices. I've never had someone ask me if I went to USC for two or four years. I don't get any additional credit or enhancement on my diploma because I went for four years. So definitely an option to consider.

Your situation is a very real one many people face. Like you said, you make too much to qualify for free aid but not enough to really be able to afford it.

Mott makes a good point in that two years at a JC is a potential option. Much cheaper and if your son transfers to OU and graduates he will have the same diploma as someone who went there for four years. All things being equal I'd rather go to OU for four years but in the real world you have to make choices. I've never had someone ask me if I went to USC for two or four years. I don't get any additional credit or enhancement on my diploma because I went for four years. So definitely an option to consider.
The description LR described was exactly the situation I was in. Probably a little worse. My parents were making to much for me to get student aid and my father had just started his practice and didn’t have the coin to pay for my school. So it was either student loans and part time jobs or no college.

LR keep in mind that it great if things can work out that he gets into the school he wants but ultimately as long as he attends a fully accredited University or College he’ll get a great education and ultimately demonstrated ability and work ethic Trump credentials. So don’t lose to much sleep.

Last edited:

So you are disgruntle because you see USC as deemphasizing athletics in an effort to emulate the Ivy League schools and in the process attract foreign students that will drive up the cost of a USC education?

So you are disgruntle because you see USC as deemphasizing athletics in an effort to emulate the Ivy League schools and in the process attract foreign students that will drive up the cost of a USC education?

giphy.gif

Back