Brown People to Blame for financial meltdown

What are you talking about? If you can't make the payment they are still going to foreclose. Supposedly, there is something in the bill about renegotiating, but that was always an option. Keeping prices artificially high will not help those who then cannot buy.

Yeah I know that the “help for the homeowners” turned out to be pretty much a crock of shit, but I’m saying, I’d be far more for that then for what we are doing. It’s interesting that this thread is mostly about the homeowners who are getting bailed out, who apparently are not getting bailed out, but very little about the fact that Bush is just looting the treasury and handing it over to his base.

Maybe so. I still don’t feel comfortable allowing so many to lose their homes. Putting kids in the streets. We don’t even know about the tent cities. Why aren’t the media reporting on this? We live in a society that glorifies militarism and social Darwinism. I have opposite beliefs.

And I don’t feel as if I am being cheated if we help less well-off families keep their homes. I don’t get resentful and feel as if I’m owed something. If they get it, I should get it. Why? I don’t need it. If I ever need it, I hope it’s there for me.

I did read about the tent cities going up across the country. And its unfortunate and I think that issue needs to be addressed. However this bailout won't help the newly homeless on our streets.

As for our gov't helping people who's income changed due to layoff's, medical reasons or other reasons beyond their control, I fully support those efforts. Extended unemployment, subsidized medical payments, etc.
As for these people that can't afford their homes, I'd suggest that the banks and the owners suffer the depreciation together. Instead of the banks keeping all of the money including the down payment...I think the losses should be shared equally. Meaning if someone bought a house for $100 and put $17 worth of equity into it, and they sell it, they should be entitled to 17% of the proceeds. Instead of the bank recouping all of the down payment. The bank made a bad investment too the need to feel that pain as well.

Furthermore, WTF is mortgage insurance for? Why isn't anyone pressuring these PMI companies to pay out?

Last edited:
I did read about the tent cities going up across the country. And its unfortunate and I think that issue needs to be addressed. However this bailout won't help the newly homeless on our streets.

As for our gov't helping people who's income changed due to layoff's, medical reasons or other reasons beyond their control, I fully support those efforts. Extended unemployment, subsidized medical payments, etc.
As for these people that can't afford their homes, I'd suggest that the banks and the owners suffer the depreciation together. Instead of the banks keeping all of the money including the down payment...I think the losses should be shared equally. Meaning if someone bought a house for $100 and put $17 worth of equity into it, and they sell it, they should be entitled to 17% of the proceeds. Instead of the bank recouping all of the down payment. The bank made a bad investment too the need to feel that pain as well.

Furthermore, WTF is mortgage insurance for? Why isn't anyone pressuring these mortgage companies to pay out?

Tiana I’m against this bailout. I know it’s a giveaway to the mega-rich.

I think we should just build 700 billion worth of homes for people and sell them to them for cost.
think of what that would do for the economy and jobs. And the govt would get all their money back.

Might as well.

Yeah I know that the “help for the homeowners” turned out to be pretty much a crock of shit, but I’m saying, I’d be far more for that then for what we are doing. It’s interesting that this thread is mostly about the homeowners who are getting bailed out, who apparently are not getting bailed out, but very little about the fact that Bush is just looting the treasury and handing it over to his base.

I want to be clear: I don't think any party should get bailed out one iota. There is plenty of blame to go around to all parties involved. I was only expanding on the homeowners because people seem to think a lot of them were innocent in this too.

Even in my own circle of associates I can think of a few people that borrowed waaay too much for a home.

Cawacko - If you want to show me where specifically the government required banks to lower their lending standards so that low-income people could get loans please do so. A single Congressmember cannot do that by providing a quote to the New York Times. There has to be legislation to that effect. can you show it to me?

They do it by making it profitable. F&F bought these bad loans at a premium. That with the low interest rates are more than enough.

A lot of what we are talking about here were not bad loans at the time they were made. If the market had continued all participants would have done well. But the market did not reflect real demand. Rather the demand was due to the low interest rates.

Seriously......anybody got any answers on PMI? If these insurance companies aren't going to foot the bill for these bad loans, then it should be illegal to charge PMI and anyone's who piad it should get a full refund.

They do it by making it profitable. F&F bought these bad loans at a premium. That with the low interest rates are more than enough.

A lot of what we are talking about here were not bad loans at the time they were made. If the market had continued all participants would have done well. But the market did not reflect real demand. Rather the demand was due to the low interest rates.

the market could not be sustained without real wage growth.

I want to be clear: I don't think any party should get bailed out one iota. There is plenty of blame to go around to all parties involved. I was only expanding on the homeowners because people seem to think a lot of them were innocent in this too.

Even in my own circle of associates I can think of a few people that borrowed waaay too much for a home.

I’m sure plenty of them are, but plenty aren’t. Even people in non-sub-prime mortgages are defaulting now. This is the result of living in a society that has redistributed its wealth to the top 1 percentile. It’s the gilded age. And the homeowners won’t be getting help. That’s a red herring. The billionaires are looting the treasury and we’re arguing over whether some regular citizens deserve help they aren’t getting anyway. There should be a revolution in this country.

This is such bullshit. Mortgage lenders want to sell mortgages, and once the regulations were dropped they went to town. This has nothing to do with race. I would urge people to read Sinclair’s “The Jungle” written one hundred years ago. What happened here is documented there, and it’s a swindle. And there is nothing new about it, and it was never dependent on black people to work. Works just as good on whites. I said that I would urge people to read the book…if I thought any of you willfully ignorant people would even bother. There’s nothing like good old racism to get you the through the day. That’s what they depend on you know. Whites, especially but not solely economically disadvantaged whites blaming the blacks, blaming the Chinese coolies, blaming the Irish scum, the Mexicans, there is always someone to blame. So stupid.

Thank you. Its always the brown people who are getting the blame forced on them.

Always. As your sinclair analogy demonstrates.

Yes, in a perfect - but impossible - Libertarian world we could always say that people will behave rationally. That's not human nature.

There's a reason we no longer tolerate the snake oil salesman, from circa 1886. Profiteers will always find ways to prey on people's ignorance and lack of knowlege. Don't NeoCons even fucking remember why we have consumer protection laws?

One thing we know about human nature: If we create the conditions in which the well financed and powerful can game the system, and take advantage of people in the short sighted pursuit of profit, there's not a freaking doubt they will rape and pillage.

To blame this fiasco on some allegedly ill-informed brown people is the height of arrogance, and it pisses me off.

RU fcking kidding me?

What is with this a-holes?

I love the National Review article that speculated that WAMU went under, because of their hiring practices, i.e., they hired too many hispanics. OMFG.

This doesn't surprise you does it?

I think we should just build 700 billion worth of homes for people and sell them to them for cost.
think of what that would do for the economy and jobs. And the govt would get all their money back.

Problem with that is that it's great for all americans.

This bailout will have negligeble effect on mainstreet. Tha's why dems wouldnt "walk the plank alone". This is baiout for wallstreet elites only. and it's brazen and it's kind of sick and scary.

the market could not be sustained without real wage growth.

The market could not be sustained because the information it was receiving was false, distorted by artificially low interest rates that led to an inefficient distribution of capital.

I'm pretty sure most sane people are blaming the meltdown on lack of government oversight, corporate greed, and an inadequate regulatory environnment....and not on brown people.
You mean, like when Dodd and Frank, in 2005, killed efforts to address the issue before it exploded? But I digress.

In a plot overlaying housing prices versus inflation, the two trends track in parallel from post-WW II until 1995 when Clinton sought and got an expansion of CRA. At that point there is a marked upward inflection of the housing price line and it accelerates away from the general inflation line, creating a bubble. It's pretty straight forward ---> cause and effect. Enabling an audience of people who have never been able to be homeowners shifted the demand curve.

Who was this new audience? Take a look at the rhetoric in the build up to the expansion of CRA 1995 with the goal of home ownership for all. President Clinton called this demographic under-served minorities, others might call them 'brown' people. I wonder what an examination of the demographic distribution of persons foreclosed would show. Given some evidence I have seen, it would tend to support Coulter.

Is this to be taken that I somehow impune brown people? Not at all. There is a correlation between 'brownness" and economic opportunity. It is not a quality of 'brownness" that leads to far above average financial failure rates, but rather the correlation seems to indicate a linkage.

You mean, like when Dodd and Frank, in 2005, killed efforts to address the issue before it exploded? But I digress.

In a plot overlaying housing prices versus inflation, the two trends track in parallel from post-WW II until 1995 when Clinton sought and got an expansion of CRA. At that point there is a marked upward inflection of the housing price line and it accelerates away from the general inflation line, creating a bubble. It's pretty straight forward ---> cause and effect. Enabling an audience of people who have never been able to be homeowners shifted the demand curve.

Who was this new audience? Take a look at the rhetoric in the build up to the expansion of CRA 1995 with the goal of home ownership for all. President Clinton called this demographic under-served minorities, others might call them 'brown' people. I wonder what an examination of the demographic distribution of persons foreclosed would show. Given some evidence I have seen, it would tend to support Coulter.

Is this to be taken that I somehow impune brown people? Not at all. There is a correlation between 'brownness" and economic opportunity. It is not a quality of 'brownness" that leads to far above average financial failure rates, but rather the correlation seems to indicate a linkage.

At last, someone claiming to have data to support the argument that the CRA is the cause of the subprime mess. Well, let's see it.

At last, someone claiming to have data to support the argument that the CRA is the cause of the subprime mess. Well, let's see it.
I'll give you the source for the curve I noted when I get home.

What About Dodd and Frank proclaiming the housing market healthy just a few short years ago, while McCain's 2005 reform bill was killed, by the Dems?

I'll give you the source for the curve I noted when I get home.

What About Dodd and Frank proclaiming the housing market healthy just a few short years ago, while McCain's 2005 reform bill was killed, by the Dems?

That was a few years ago.

What about McCain claiming the economy was sound last week?

Thank you for conceding the obvious, but please explain, specifically, the problem with the CRA and what specifically the CRA had to do with any of the current problems.

What happened in 1992 and how did that lead to the current situation and why did it take 16 years to manifest itself? What specifically happened in 1995? 1999? Do you have any data to support your claims?

I think the "blame the CRA" crowd are right-wingers (and "centrists" that help them along) that refuse to accept responsibility for the results of their disastrous policies and want to shift the blame to liberals and "others."

1977... CRA.... forced banks and S&Ls to offer credit to all areas in the markets they served. Which included low income areas. Again... this by itself did not cause the problem. But the CRA essentially created the behemouth that was Fannie and Freddie. It also was forced government intervention in the credit process. All in the name of more people owning homes.

1993... Clinton pushed to change the CRA that increased access to mortgage credit for inner city and distressed rural areas. This took effect in 1995.... along with the Fair Lending act in 1995... which again focused banks on loaning money to all areas... regardless of ability to pay back loans.

1999... GLB Act.... allowed banks/investment banks to merge which took away a natural barrier that allowed

I am blanking on the bill Bush one signed.... I will have to look it up... but from what I recall it was the first direct hit to Glass Steagall... just blanking on the bill name....

The reason it did not manifest.... as I mentioned previously.... is that the final blow... the one that made it all possible... was the Fed knocking interest rates to 40 year lows and keeping them there for such an extensive period of time. (2001-2005). THAT allowed all the rest to take off. Because with teaser rates on ARMs dropping to the 2-3% range, more people could afford to take out loans.

That is where the greed of lenders and borrowers took off.... so the final blow was delivered by the FED, not the politicians. But that does not remove the complicity of the politicians. To be clear, I am not trying to shift blame to liberals. This was a bi-partisan FUBAR. They both wanted to be the ones to champion "more home ownership"... no matter what the cost.

Back