Bucket list getting filled

I just got back from a week in Germany and am able to check off several items on my bucket list.

• Drove on several unlimited sections of the Autobahn, my fastest speed a leisurely 185 kph.
  • Skied the glacier at the top of Zugspitze.
  • Attended a World Cup downhill (womens).
  • Skied the Kandahar.
  • Visited Liechtenstein (one of four countries that day).
  • Visited one of my ancestral homes, including a working dairy farm still operated by my distant cousins.

The only time I drove on the Autobahn there was a traffic jam. Ski-ing has never tempted me, but those of my friends who go in for it usually break at least a leg, Do keep it up, Dark Soul!

The only time I drove on the Autobahn there was a traffic jam. Ski-ing has never tempted me, but those of my friends who go in for it usually break at least a leg, Do keep it up, Dark Soul!

Sounds like my trip to the coast road in California. I drove an hour to get to it, then about two minutes on it before traffic came to a dead stop on a blind corner. After waiting ten minutes my wife had to get out of the car to stop traffic while I turned around and left. (I didn't leave her there. ;) )

Sounds like my trip to the coast road in California. I drove an hour to get to it, then about two minutes on it before traffic came to a dead stop on a blind corner. After waiting ten minutes my wife had to get out of the car to stop traffic while I turned around and left. (I didn't leave her there. ;) )

:)

the coast road?

wow that's an obvious lie

I just got back from a week in Germany and am able to check off several items on my bucket list.

• Drove on several unlimited sections of the Autobahn, my fastest speed a leisurely 185 kph.
  • Skied the glacier at the top of Zugspitze.
  • Attended a World Cup downhill (womens).
  • Skied the Kandahar.
  • Visited Liechtenstein (one of four countries that day).
  • Visited one of my ancestral homes, including a working dairy farm still operated by my distant cousins.
I've been to Garmisch many times when I lived in Franken in the '90's. First took up white water kayaking on the Loisach River. Wife is from Leipzig so still go back often.
No desire to live there though.

I did my DNA test through "23 and me". All it dies it narrow you down to regions. My Scots-Irish comes back as "British Isles". The only surprise was a small amount of Norwegian, and that was not expected, based on the written history.

On the German side my history is well documented. Germans kept excellent records and my name is not common.

If you are of Scots-Irish or English decent, there should be zero surprise to have Norwegian heritage.

England was conquered and settled by Vikings, and Ireland was routinely raided and settled by Vikings. I believe the city of Dublin is actually an old Viking settlement.

I've been wanting to do one of the DNA tests, to see what part of Europe my ancestors immigrated from.

Our last name is not one that's common in Europe and I'm pretty sure that it was "changed" at Ellis Island.

Interesting side note:
It appears that my Great Grandfather was married to two sisters at the same time.
We uncovered a census from back then and my Grandfather and his sister are listed in two different homes.
The only difference is a middle initial for both and birthdays that are different by 1 day.

The homes were only 1 home away from each other.

Uh. You live in Mormon Country, right?

Hey! Glad you had a good time for yourself OPie.

If you carried out some of your lifetime goals- even better still.

I'll just close with Congratulations and Thanks for sharing!

I've been wanting to do one of the DNA tests, to see what part of Europe my ancestors immigrated from.

Our last name is not one that's common in Europe and I'm pretty sure that it was "changed" at Ellis Island.

Interesting side note:
It appears that my Great Grandfather was married to two sisters at the same time.
We uncovered a census from back then and my Grandfather and his sister are listed in two different homes.
The only difference is a middle initial for both and birthdays that are different by 1 day.

The homes were only 1 home away from each other.

"The State of Deseret (/ˌdɛzəˈrɛt/ (About this soundlisten))[1] was a provisional state of the United States, proposed in 1849 by settlers from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City. The provisional state existed for slightly over two years and was never recognized by the United States government. The name derives from the word for "honeybee" in the Book of Mormon."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Deseret

Hey! Glad you had a good time for yourself OPie.

If you carried out some of your lifetime goals- even better still.

I'll just close with Congratulations and Thanks for sharing!

Do you know if Dark Soul shut down any Construction Sites over there for Code Violations?

Do you know if Dark Soul shut down any Construction Sites over there for Code Violations?

No, I don't follow him really- or any other forum member! Trust me, as I don't know anyone here- or even keep up with who is Right or Left!

I have my own beliefs and opinions, and try to assimilate others ideas, beliefs, and opinions!

But, I also have my own ideas about what is Right Vs. Wrong!

If that relates to my personal politics- so be it!

So I judge others by how much I think they are Right or Wrong- and not so much Right Vs. Left!

No, I don't follow him really- or any other forum member! Trust me, as I don't know anyone here- or even keep up with who is Right or Left!

I have my own beliefs and opinions, and try to assimilate others ideas, beliefs, and opinions!

But, I also have my own ideas about what is Right Vs. Wrong!

If that relates to my personal politics- so be it!

So I judge others by how much I think they are Right or Wrong- and not so much Right Vs. Left!

Good for you. We need MORE independent Thinkers here.

PS: Besides Dark Soul skiing the Materhorn, Mt. Fuji, and Everest, he also does Public Service Work like driving onto Construction Sites, waving his North Carolina Mechanical Engineer Badge (that he bought from an Amazon Vendor) and shuts them down for alleged 'violations'. Just a hunch on my part, but probably why Dark Soul needs to leave the State and relocate 'overseas' somewhere. ... somewhere that DOESN'T have an Extradition Treaty with the US.

If you are of Scots-Irish or English decent, there should be zero surprise to have Norwegian heritage.

England was conquered and settled by Vikings, and Ireland was routinely raided and settled by Vikings. I believe the city of Dublin is actually an old Viking settlement.

Typo, should be "not unexpected". My English ancestors migrated westward across England then Ireland until they ran out of land. They were contractors, building castles and defensive structures, things that Vikings would have been good at.

Typo, should be "not unexpected". My English ancestors migrated westward across England then Ireland until they ran out of land. They were contractors, building castles and defensive structures, things that Vikings would have been good at.

DS: "They were contractors, building castles and defensive structures ..."
Jack: hahahahahahaha ......... please stop. you're killing me here.

Back