Bucket list getting filled

Hopefully the “caldera” won't finally choose that time to finally "blow it's top". :eek:

There were very few people around that week so we got to drive the whole park and saw everything.

Funny story: We were in a hot spring area and my son was using an infrared thermometer to sample temperatures of the various pools. The stuff is hot! There are small signs everywhere warning tourists not to touch the water, stay on paths etc. Some elderly guy bent down to touch he water at the edge of a path and before he got his finger in the water a park ranger was all over him. Yelling at him like he was a school kid. He gave the poor bastard a lengthy lecture and we heard the whole thing while we were still in earshot.

There were very few people around that week so we got to drive the whole park and saw everything.

Funny story: We were in a hot spring area and my son was using an infrared thermometer to sample temperatures of the various pools. The stuff is hot! There are small signs everywhere warning tourists not to touch the water, stay on paths etc. Some elderly guy bent down to touch he water at the edge of a path and before he got his finger in the water a park ranger was all over him. Yelling at him like he was a school kid. He gave the poor bastard a lengthy lecture and we heard the whole thing while we were still in earshot.

When I was about 10 or 11, we all went to Yellowstone.

A week after we were there, there was a report of a young boy (don't remember the age) who ran and went into one of the hot mud pots.

They had to retrieve what remains they could, just bones, using a special wire "scoop".

They said he probably only had a second or two of feeling anything, before his entire body shut down and started dissolving.

Within the last year or so (that I can remember) some guy either stuck his hand or foot in one of the pools.

Needless to say, he suffered a great deal of damage.

:facepalm:

When I was about 10 or 11, we all went to Yellowstone.

A week after we were there, there was a report of a young boy (don't remember the age) who ran and went into one of the hot mud pots.

They had to retrieve what remains they could, just bones, using a special wire "scoop".

They said he probably only had a second or two of feeling anything, before his entire body shut down and started dissolving.

Within the last year or so (that I can remember) some guy either stuck his hand or foot in one of the pools.

Needless to say, he suffered a great deal of damage.

:facepalm:

We drove up to some bald summit on one of these trips and there was an area with a heavy steel railing and a 1000' vertical drop on the other side. My daughter refused to go anywhere near it. The rest of the area was un-fenced, a basketball court sized area sort of flat that quickly got steeper away from the center, to a point where the footing was impossible and it was bye-bye. There was a Japanese tourist there with his young son, and the kid was running around in ever widening circles away from his father, and the dad was enthralled by the scenery and not paying attention. I yelled over to the guy, he obviously didn't understand a word, then I pointed to his son...

The look of terror on the guy's face as he tried to catch the boy was priceless...

Back