C.S. Lewis vs. Friedrich Nietzsche

Lack of any higher purpose could explain higher alcohol consumption rates in the atheist/agnostic contingent, though I question the results of the study; I have seen the vodka flow freely in Eastern Orthodox circles :)

Jesus turned water into wine! Just sayin

Interesting statistics. What about drunken Irish priests? :laugh:

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...less-than-those-with-no-religious-affiliation
People of certain religions were less likely to be drinkers than others. As a whole, Protestants were less likely to have consumed alcohol than Catholics. Sixty percent of Catholics and 51 percent of Protestants reported drinking in the last 30 days. While 15 percent of Protestants reported binge drinking, 17 percent of Catholics reported the same.

Is there another kind?

When the scientist in me sees patterns, I tend to think it means something.

We see Fibonacci numbers in nature everywhere: pine cones, daisys, pineapples, sunflowers, etc.
--> We don't exactly know what it means, but it must mean something.

When I see humanity over thousands of years incrementally bending towards a universal moral order of more equality, more fairness, more justice, more freedom, more respect for individual dignity, I think it means something.

I am not exactly sure what it means, but I think it means something. I don't think this bending arc of history is completely random, inexplicable, or just strictly a result of known evolutionary mechanisms.

Do you see any correlationship between the World becoming LESS religious and MORE secular as a possible factor?

Do you see any correlationship between the World becoming LESS religious and MORE secular as a possible factor?

For one thing, that has no explanatory power. The seeming universal appeal for a certain type of universal moral standard crosses cultural, religious, intellectual, geographical boundaries.

Secondly, irrespective of whether one calls themselves secular or not, we generally all inherited the Christian, Buddhist, or Confucian ethical tradition, depending on where we grew up, simply by virtue of osmosis, history, geography.

"Many contemporary secular practices, categories, and judgments are in fact Christian. The Christian language is removed, but the deep Christian structure remains in the universalism of our moral ideals.".

--- Charles Mathews, Professor of Religious History, University of Virginia

Last edited:
For one thing, that has no explanatory power. The seeming universal appeal for a certain type of universal moral standard crosses cultural, religious, intellectual, geographical boundaries.

Secondly, irrespective of whether one calls themselves secular or not, we generally all inherited the Christian, Buddhist, or Confucian ethical tradition, depending on where we grew up, simply by virtue of osmosis, history, geography.

You're the one claiming a 'curve'.

So, using YOUR theory, the possible effect of time creating a 'better world' may be attributable to LESS religion.

--->' "Many contemporary secular practices, categories, and judgments are in fact Christian. The Christian language is removed, but the deep Christian structure remains in the universalism of our moral ideals.". "

Today, Queers get married. Is that rooted in 'Christianity'? (I think the Bible (Word of God) has a different take on this)

--->' "Many contemporary secular practices, categories, and judgments are in fact Christian. The Christian language is removed, but the deep Christian structure remains in the universalism of our moral ideals.". "

Today, Queers get married. Is that rooted in 'Christianity'? (I think the Bible (Word of God) has a different take on this)

Is that what happened, Jack? Your Christian mother dumped you and dear old dad for her Lesbian lover? Why do you object to couples being married, Christian or not?

You are obsessed with marriage customs and property transactions, and cling to them in an attempt to score tepid points But those are institutions and practices are an insignificant part of a universal moral order

I am pretty sure Plato, Descartes, Hobbes, Cicero, Boethius, Siddhartha Gautama, Zhuangzi, Zarathustra, Hegel, Kant wasted very little ink writing about marriage contacts and real estate transactions.

They had bigger fish to fry.

"Queers"? WTF:awkward:

You are obsessed with marriage customs and property transactions, and cling to them in an attempt to score tepid points But those are institutions and practices are an insignificant part of a universal moral order

I am pretty sure Plato, Descartes, Hobbes, Cicero, Boethius, Siddhartha Gautama, Zhuangzi, Zarathustra, Hegel, Kant wasted very little ink writing about marriage contacts and real estate transactions.

They had bigger fish to fry.

No world that Auschwitz couldn't exist in has zero
Moral order!

Back