California real estate is so expensive that families, retirees, and even tech workers

signalmankenneth

Verified User
California real estate is so expensive that families, retirees, and even tech workers are living in cars and vans

If I was a retiree, I would have been long gone from California?!!

Cars are no longer just a means of transportation. In a time when rents are soaring and housing prices are on the climb, they're also doubling as a home.

Look no further than California, where the median price for a home is at a record high of $600,000 and sleeping in cars is a common occurrence. A recent Slate article explored the rising epidemic on America's West Coast and found that 15,000 people live in cars, vans, and RVs in Los Angeles alone, citing the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. That's not counting car dwellers in other expensive California cities, like San Diego and San Francisco.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/rea...living-in-cars-and-vans/ar-BBMfwgs?li=BBnb7Kz

478DB85F00000578-5212977-image-a-17_1514302488915.jpg

Marva Ericson, who works as a nursing assistant, has been sleeping in her Kia for the past three months in parking lots around Santa Barbara, California, USA, USA, USA!!!

https://www.apartments.com/san-francisco-ca/

Last edited:
Not really confined to California. We get a lot of retirees in our area from New York and New Jersey. Their choice is to remain there and starve, or move south and live like kings in much fatter houses than they had there because their pension/retirement benefits have such a higher purchasing power and real estate is so much cheaper (and taxes are lower on it as well).

California real estate is so expensive that families, retirees, and even tech workers are living in cars and vans

If I was a retiree, I would have been long gone from California?!!

[FONT=&]Cars are no longer just a means of transportation. In a time when rents are soaring and housing prices are on the climb, they're also doubling as a home.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Look no further than California, where the median price for a home is at a record high of $600,000 and sleeping in cars is a common occurrence. A recent Slate article explored the rising epidemic on America's West Coast and found that 15,000 people live in cars, vans, and RVs in Los Angeles alone, citing the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. That's not counting car dwellers in other expensive California cities, like San Diego and San Francisco.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/rea...living-in-cars-and-vans/ar-BBMfwgs?li=BBnb7Kz

478DB85F00000578-5212977-image-a-17_1514302488915.jpg

Marva Ericson, who works as a nursing assistant, has been sleeping in her Kia for the past three months in parking lots around Santa Barbara, California, USA, USA, USA!!!

https://www.apartments.com/san-francisco-ca/
[/FONT]

A different way to think about it is that these people see living in California as so desirable (presumably thanks to the vibrant economy and high pay), that they'd rather live in California in a van than live in, say, Kentucky in a house. I find that fascinating.

see we need to up the minimum wage and build lost cost housing.

if you are willing to live in a car

how about building a mass of one room housing that include a kitchenette and a bath room

Low income housing should be a high priority

see we need to up the minimum wage and build lost cost housing.

if you are willing to live in a car

how about building a mass of one room housing that include a kitchenette and a bath room

Low income housing should be a high priority

Obviously, Cali Libs latest solution is Open Borders, ... in order to import more dirt poor illegal immigrants. That should help. :palm:

this is why I never sold my cali house when I moved to las vegas.

I knew I wanted to come back

I love having no house payment to live is some of the best weather in the world

Location, location, location

Do I have to sell my modest house and buy 1/2 of Kentucky and evict Bigdog to get some space?
Why are you Oakeys coming here?

who needs a big house when the weather is soooo nice you are outside a huge amount of the time

I love socal

A different way to think about it is that these people see living in California as so desirable (presumably thanks to the vibrant economy and high pay), that they'd rather live in California in a van than live in, say, Kentucky in a house. I find that fascinating.

Me too. I once lived in a town in Kansas for about a yr. No traffic, no crime, great golf club, super nice polite people, and could've afforded a nice big Victorian house for the cost of Section 8 Housing. A real hellhole.

then go there

while your shoveling snow I will be playing in my sunny backyard

my hood is about 90% latino

they are the nicest neighbors I have ever had

I lived in one of the wealthiest parts of Las Vegas

the people were complete assholes

tea tards galore

they destroyed the school system once the got their hands on it

this is why I never sold my cali house when I moved to las vegas.

I knew I wanted to come back

I love having no house payment to live is some of the best weather in the world

Location, location, location

That's great foresight. I have no problem with people buying selling or coming back.
I don't want more new builds. No more pop density. Enough already.

I want it to cost way too much, for people be unable to get good paying jobs here. Please go somewhere else!

That's great foresight. I have no problem with people buying selling or coming back.
I don't want more new builds. No more pop density. Enough already.

I want it to cost way too much, for people be unable to get good paying jobs here. Please go somewhere else!

every place needs entrance workers and housing for the fixed income people like the retired

we could do low impact housing like mobile housing.

think tiny homes

places that can be shuffled around as needed

have a heart

In my experience poor people are some of the nicest people

Not really confined to California. We get a lot of retirees in our area from New York and New Jersey. Their choice is to remain there and starve, or move south and live like kings in much fatter houses than they had there because their pension/retirement benefits have such a higher purchasing power and real estate is so much cheaper (and taxes are lower on it as well).

Coming to a community near you as wealth inequality marches ever onward, the new american landscape, we've had internal colonies forever.

Back