Can Artificial Intelligence have free will?

The race to the bottom between BidenPresident and Doc Dutch continues....
I love it that you are always thinking of me.

7u95r8.gif

Not yet as far as I know but we will see what the future holds.

A similar thing would be to ask if animals have free will or not

I suppose it’s how someone wishes to define free will

Animals have free will. Anyone that's ever tried to train a cat or deal with a headstrong horse will know what I'm talking about.

Free will is a religious term so AI would have to have the ability to believe in a god to practice it

No. A 'will' is the ability to make your own decisions independent of any other force. A 'free will' is the unrestricted ability to make decisions.
Programs cannot make any decision by themselves without guidance from a programmer. A program is not unrestricted either. It MUST operate within the parameters set by the programmer, even if that program uses AI techniques.

AI does not give any program the ability to set a task and complete it. Programmers set the task and tell the program how to complete it.
Unless it's programmed and given the ability to complete a task by considering any and all possible solutions including....wait for it....Global Thermonuclear War.

Mantra 53 Captain Obvious believes he’s saying something intelligent

Mantra 1a.
Mantra 4a.
One of the "miscellaneous" documents on that site is Into the Night's mantra list.

Humans are not machines. You are far more than a Dell desktop....well, maybe you aren't but the rest of us are.

AI is just a program, that's all it is. Don't believe the hype.

Sorry, I actually have studied the theory of artificial intelligence. Turing wrote a paper on this in 1952. Can machines think.

Back