Can Everyone Take A Minute?

Yes to your first four questions. About how far we go, it's complicated. Remember when people excoriated Tipper Gore because she wanted to warn buyers about explicit music? I was one of them at the time. Then I got married and had kids and wanted to keep them wrapped up in cotton so they'd never be exposed to all the nastiness in the world, including explicit lyrics.

Don't take this as scientific, but I think people who live in a *relatively* safe environment get a vicarious thrill out of violence. As long as it doesn't touch them personally, they'll watch the movies and TV, play the video games. It would be interesting to see if kids in danger-filled environments get the same thrill out of these things or if they daydream about Leave It To Beaver scenarios.

Maybe the way to get rid of it is to study cultures where violence isn't a big thing and apply their methods. But I don't really know.

I spent a good portion of my youth living in Oakland. I like to think I can be pragmatic but I don't know how you are going to change the culture around where I went to school to where violence doesn't exist. I'm all for it in theory but it will never be a reality. I don't claim to have the answer to to the issue of violence but I don't see it changing much anytime soon.

For the record, Howey -

I signed the petition. Reevaluating the 2nd Amendment and exploring ways to mitigate events such as the massacre yesterday is definitely in order. If what happened yesterday isn't enough of an impetus to at least examine it, I don't know what would be.

That comment should be on billboards all over America to remind all Americans that most/many are just too stupid to be members of any society. Joke or not you clearly do not have the sense you were born with.

NRA is a wonderful organization.. they are vanguards of one of our most important amendments. They are not an extremeist organization, contrary to all your false hopes and dreams.

Most Americans support the right to use deadly force to protect themselves - even in public places - and have a favorable view of the National Rifle Association, the main gun-lobby group, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed.

The online survey showed that 68 percent, or two out of three respondents, had a favorable opinion of the NRA, which starts its annual convention in St. Louis, Missouri, on Friday.
Eighty-two percent of Republicans saw the gun lobbying group in a positive light as well as 55 percent of Democrats,
source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/13/us-usa-guns-poll-idUSBRE83C0G420120413

Hasn't been a poll since april but you can bet it hasn't dropped to any significant measure. It's one of the most effective, popular, well funded by the people organizations in the entire country. Americans love guns and love the NRA. So DEAL WITH IT

:dealwithit:

I spent a good portion of my youth living in Oakland. I like to think I can be pragmatic but I don't know how you are going to change the culture around where I went to school to where violence doesn't exist. I'm all for it in theory but it will never be a reality. I don't claim to have the answer to to the issue of violence but I don't see it changing much anytime soon.

Maybe not, but our society didn't always have the violent movies and TV, and video games are relatively new. It crept up on us. I think it would have to creep back down gradually, no overnight fixes.

For the record, Howey -

I signed the petition. Reevaluating the 2nd Amendment and exploring ways to mitigate events such as the massacre yesterday is definitely in order. If what happened yesterday isn't enough of an impetus to at least examine it, I don't know what would be.

go sign a petition to ban pools. You'll save more lives. More children 4 and under will die by drowning in pools (with lifeguards present) this month than will have died in a shooting masacre.

For the record, Howey -

cite 3 ways you have explored ways to mitigate the events of the massacre.

i would like hear your opinion.

It isn't a petition to "ban" anything. READ.

so when an amendment says the peoples right to bare arms shall not be infringed, and you want to re-evaluate that, what exactly are you implying? Why can't you just say what it is the fuck you believe? What are you implying by wanting to re-evaluate not infringing on peoples right to bare arms, if not to restrict peoples right to bear arms??

Last edited:
so when an amendment says the peoples right to bear arms shall not be infringed, and you want to re-evaluate that, what exactly are you implying? Why can't you just say what it is the fuck you believe? What are you implying by wanting to re-evaluate not infringing on peoples right to bear arms, if not to restrict peoples right to bear arms??

Gee I'm sorry you're incapable of recognizing the need to reevaluate what was written over a century ago. I'd say that's your problem, not mine. It's a much different world today than it was back then. Things change. How many people were on psych meds when that shit was written? Sorry, but this needs revisiting.

There's a reason for the Amendment process, and a reason the Constitution is considered to be a 'living document': because things change.

Gee I'm sorry you're incapable of recognizing the need to reevaluate what was written over a century ago. I'd say that's your problem, not mine. It's a much different world today than it was back then. Things change. How many people were on psych meds when that shit was written? Sorry, but this needs revisiting.

There's a reason for the Amendment process, and a reason the Constitution is considered to be a 'living document': because things change.

you get offended when people say you want to ban guns, but that's exactly what you are implying when you want to re-evalute peoples right to bare arms. I just want you to say what you mean and stand by your convictions.

you get offended when people say you want to ban guns, but that's exactly what you are implying when you want to re-evalute peoples right to bare arms. I just want you to say what you mean and stand by your convictions.

I'm not interested in what you 'want' me to say. Not everyone should have the right to bear arms. End of story.

Back