Censorship

Holy shit, until the eighties Ireland was a bloody awful shithole with no jobs, run by priests and bloody parish pump politicians like the fecker Charles Haughey.

I'll think you'll want this back...

urine-specimen-cup.jpg

Does that make up for the preceding 600 years or so?

There is not much. or indeed probably anything, that you could tell me about Irish history. Holy shit. my parents came from Ireland, they sent me to a primary school run by Irish nuns and I was brought up with the stories of the Black and Tans, fucking De Valera et al. I have also travelled around all Ireland both North and South, what about you?

Last edited:
There is not much. or indeed probably anything, that you could tell me about Irish history. Holy shit. my parents came from Ireland, they sent me to a primary school run by Irish nuns and I was brought with the stories of the Black and Tans, fucking De Valera et al. I have also travelled around all Ireland both North and South, what about you?

Yep, I remember when you taught me "fekkin' eejit"!

Tom, do you know what Americans call the Welsh? English! Good job wiping them out, subjugating them, and making them irrelevant. :D

That's just ignorant. I made one short side trip to Wales during a trip and it was beautiful, wish I could've stayed longer. The people were really nice and the sheep were cheeky!

There is not much. or indeed probably anything, that you could tell me about Irish history. Holy shit. my parents came from Ireland, they sent me to a primary school run by Irish nuns and I was brought with the stories of the Black and Tans, fucking De Valera et al. I have also travelled around all Ireland both North and South, what about you?

And yet, here you are, vast knowledge of Irish history in your posession, essentially arguing that the English did nothing wrong. Is this how you sum up English history in India, as well? Honestly, I was just trolling about the Welsh. It's pretty common to joke about how the Scots and Irish remain clearly identifiable (and defiant) while the Welsh got assimilated and disappeared, just because Americans tend not to really care about (or understand) the Welsh. Best example I can think of is the movie The Replacements, where the (American) football team acquires a Welsh kicker (from world football) and someone mistakenly calls him "English," and he has to protest a bit.

And yet, here you are, vast knowledge of Irish history in your posession, essentially arguing that the English did nothing wrong. Is this how you sum up English history in India, as well? Honestly, I was just trolling about the Welsh. It's pretty common to joke about how the Scots and Irish remain clearly identifiable (and defiant) while the Welsh got assimilated and disappeared, just because Americans tend not to really care about (or understand) the Welsh. Best example I can think of is the movie The Replacements, where the (American) football team acquires a Welsh kicker (from world football) and someone mistakenly calls him "English," and he has to protest a bit.

Well I didn't say that either, the trouble is that the Irish are incredibly adept at generating myths and selling them to gullible Americans. I was watching the Quiet Man the other day, some of which was filmed near where my dad was born in Mayo, and it seemed to me to have just about every cliche about the Irish in it, even down to the Oirish accents of Barry Fitzgerald, John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara and Ward Bond. Don't get me wrong I like the film for all that, not least because they filmed it on location rather than in a Hollywood studio.

As far as India is concerned yes I would say that the British had a profoundly positive effect on India, especially compared to the Spanish, French, Dutch, Belgians, Portuguese and German colonists. How many functioning democracies did the Spanish leave behind in South America or the French in Indo-China?

Last edited:
Well I didn't say that either, the trouble is that the Irish are incredibly adept at generating myths and selling them to gullible Americans. I was watching the Quiet Man the other day, some of which was filmed near where my dad was born in Mayo, and it seemed to me to have just about every cliche about the Irish in it, even down to the Oirish accents of Barry Fitzgerald, John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara and Ward Bond. Don't get me wrong I like the film for all that, not least because they filmed it on location rather than in a Hollywood studio.

As far as India is concerned yes I would say that the British had a profoundly positive effect on India, especially compared to the Spanish, French, Dutch, Belgians, Portuguese and German colonists. How many functioning democracies did the Spanish leave behind in South America or the French in Indo-China?

Quiet Man is one of my all-time favorite movies (Wayne was an American character, so no Irish accent, there). As for the other colonial powers, it's true that British colonialism has been vastly more successful (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and even India). That still doesn't change the fact that in places such as Ireland and India they murdered countless people and oppressed the populations for many generations.

Quiet Man is one of my all-time favorite movies (Wayne was an American character, so no Irish accent, there). As for the other colonial powers, it's true that British colonialism has been vastly more successful (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and even India). That still doesn't change the fact that in places such as Ireland and India they murdered countless people and oppressed the populations for many generations.

Also, they got an entire country addicted to Opium. And the Boer Wars. And Rhodesia.

Nice job with the hyperbole, countless indeed. The British did many positive things in India not least banning the practice of sati. If you really think that the British in India were really such despots can you explain to me why over two million Indians fought for them in WW2? Who invented the caste system anyway, it wasn't the British.

As for Ireland, I presume that you are referring to the Great Famine. That was a very nasty episode in Irish history not least because it was wholly preventable. It is true that grain, which could have prevented the famine, was still being exported in large quantities but the dependency on not just a single crop but a single variety in hindsight was a monumental mistake. One thing that should be made clear though is that it was no picnic living in Victorian England either for the poor peasants, most were hardly better off than slaves and lived miserable lives where death was often a mercy.

Also, they got an entire country addicted to Opium. And the Boer Wars. And Rhodesia.

You are not seriously trying to tell me that the Boers were superior to the British in their treatment of blacks? As for Rhodesia, I think everyone would concur that Mugabe has made a vast difference to the lives of of Zimbabweans. Rhodesia used to be the breadbasket of Africa now it is the basket case!!

Massacre of Amritsar: (April 13, 1919), incident in which British troops fired on a crowd of unarmed Indian protesters, killing a large number.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/21847/Massacre-of-Amritsar

The Siege of Drogheda took place on 3–11 September 1649 at the outset of the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland. The town of Drogheda in eastern Ireland was held by the Irish Catholic Confederation and English Royalists when it was besieged and stormed by English Parliamentarian forces under Oliver Cromwell. In the aftermath of the assault, much of the garrison and an unknown but "significant number" of civilians were killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Drogheda

Massacre of Amritsar: (April 13, 1919), incident in which British troops fired on a crowd of unarmed Indian protesters, killing a large number.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/21847/Massacre-of-Amritsar

The Siege of Drogheda took place on 3–11 September 1649 at the outset of the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland. The town of Drogheda in eastern Ireland was held by the Irish Catholic Confederation and English Royalists when it was besieged and stormed by English Parliamentarian forces under Oliver Cromwell. In the aftermath of the assault, much of the garrison and an unknown but "significant number" of civilians were killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Drogheda

Well done sonny, so you found Amritsar. Well I've been there. As for Drogheda, which I have also been to, that was a minor skirmish compared to the Battle of Towton. Oh and I been there as well, in fact it is only about fifty miles from where I live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Towton

Last edited:
Did the locals spit on you?

See this is where you reveal your true ignorance. Amritsar is the centre of the Sikh religion and was on the partition frontline in 1947, the Pakistanis wanted it and the Indians wanted Lahore. Muslims left in droves from Amritsar and Sikhs similarly from Lahore, but not before hundreds of thousands died first. Anything up to two million died overall.

You also might want to look up Operation Blue Star as well. It was that which resulted in Indira Gandhi's assassination a few months later.

Back